Protein bars

TiffanyandCo
on 6/4/14 6:52 am - Canada

Anyone have any suggestions for protein bars? I'm looking for a great tasting bar that I can easly buy in Canada at a Costco, walmart, shoppers ect... 

Laurie C.
on 6/4/14 7:49 am - Collingwood, ON, Canada

I personally think Oh Yeah bars (45 gram) are perfect for me but everyone is different.  I can get them at Shoppers, Walmart but Costco is MUCH cheaper.

Laurie

Surgery:  June 11, 2012--Dr. Starr--Humber

Mary A.
on 6/5/14 4:47 am
On June 4, 2014 at 2:49 PM Pacific Time, Laurie C. wrote:

I personally think Oh Yeah bars (45 gram) are perfect for me but everyone is different.  I can get them at Shoppers, Walmart but Costco is MUCH cheaper.

Laurie

Laurie, do you eat your entire Oh Yeah bar in one sitting??? the reason I ask is that RNY systems usually absorb no more than 26 (approx.) grams of protein in a single digestion, so you are in actuality throwing away almost 20 grams of protein if you eat it all at once. 

They are also a bit high in regards to sugar & carbs etc especially for new RNY'ers, so be cautious about OH Yeah, they are a definite treat but more geared to people doing heavy duty work-outs

Serving Size:1 bar
Servings per Container: 12

Ingredient Amount % Daily Value**
Calories 190
Calories From Fat 70
Total Fat 8g 12
Saturated Fat 3g 15
Trans Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 2g
Monounsaturated Fat 3g
Cholesterol 0mg 0
Sodium 60mg 2
Potassium 40mg 1
Total Carbohydrates 17g 6
Dietary Fiber 3g 12
Sugars 4g
Sugar Alcohol 8g
Protein 15g 30
Vitamin A 0
Vitamin C 0
Calcium 6
Iron 6
Phosphorus 6

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

Laurie C.
on 6/5/14 5:06 am - Collingwood, ON, Canada

Hi Mary:

Thank you for the information, I really didn't realize we can only retain 26% but I meant that the Protein bar was 15% protein, 45 gram of weight in total.  I usually have one of these if I'm going to Aqua Fit or swimming and I carry them in case my sugar goes low when I'm out walking.

Thanks

Laurie

Surgery:  June 11, 2012--Dr. Starr--Humber

Mary A.
on 6/5/14 5:15 am
On June 5, 2014 at 12:06 PM Pacific Time, Laurie C. wrote:

Hi Mary:

Thank you for the information, I really didn't realize we can only retain 26% but I meant that the Protein bar was 15% protein, 45 gram of weight in total.  I usually have one of these if I'm going to Aqua Fit or swimming and I carry them in case my sugar goes low when I'm out walking.

Thanks

Laurie

that's an estimated amount of protein intake/absorbtion, all I recall is that when I used to double scoop my protein for my breakfast shake the bariatric Nurse said I was literally flushing my $$ down the toilet.  Makes sense to have them handy so we don't give in to other things..which believe me as time goes on becomes more difficult for some (me)~!!

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary

Karen M.
on 6/5/14 6:05 am - Mississauga, Canada

Mary, you've stated several times on this board that we are unable to absorb more than 26g of protein at a time. Could you please direct me to your medical/scientific source for this information? It is my understanding that this myth was debunked several years ago.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Mary A.
on 6/5/14 6:08 am, edited 6/5/14 6:11 am

Karen it was provided to me by the Bariatric Head Nurse at St. Mary's hospital, when I had my surgery 5 years ago in Duluth, MN. 

I could be wrong if there is more current information that I am unaware of.   This may have something to do with it, but I am not an expert...sure a dietician would know more than me granted their education, but I would take the word of the Head Bariatric Nurse over a nutrionist new to RNY anyday.

Your body is actually made up of thousands of different proteins. Because your body is constantly making new proteins and because you don't store amino acids (the building blocks of protein) as you do fats, you need to intake a new supply of protein each day. The body can make 13 amino acids, but 9 amino acids are essential, meaning they cannot be made by your body and must come from food sources. There are both complete and incomplete protein sources. Complete proteins contain all the essential amino acids needed for the body to make new protein.

Mary

Karen M.
on 6/5/14 6:20 am - Mississauga, Canada

I believe there is newer data, yes. I had always heard 30g was basically the limit but heard from many others (and looked it up myself, obviously) that the body is capable of more. I'll see if I can get my eyes on the source and post it.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Mary A.
on 6/5/14 6:22 am

awesome, I would appreciate it, it's always good to have up to date info...maybe I should start my responses with (I was told 5 yrs ago...)

Mary

spicy_cyn
on 6/4/14 9:33 am - Welland, Canada

I like premiere protein bars from Costco.

Most Active
Recent Topics