Approximately how long is the wait from doctors referral to receiving an orientation date?

eprior
on 7/3/14 12:59 am

Reposting as a I posted in the wrong board:

My doctor has just sent my referral and he indicated I will end up at Hamilton.  While I realize the process takes quite some time I am just curious as to how long it takes before you hear anything after the referral is made and the whether you hear via phone or mail.  Do you wait months then receive notification of the orientation date? Or do you find out the orientation date quickly but the orientation date is several weeks/months away?

Thanks

Karen M.
on 7/3/14 2:11 am - Mississauga, Canada

Welcome "home"! I'm sure you'll get the responses you're looking for here. :)

K.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

(deactivated member)
on 7/3/14 5:09 am - Toronto, Canada

My doctor sent in my referral on April 9th, I received a letter within the mail on May 19th advising me of my orientation date at TWH. My orientation date was originally set for the end of July, but I got a cancellation, and had it June 25th.

Every center is different it seems, some get a phonecall, some get a letter ect. 

Good luck on your journey!

Focal
on 7/3/14 6:33 am - Peterborough, Canada

I did my referral in November last year and then did the initial orientation in Janurary.  I did give the center a call then and they booked me into the initial information session you have to go through.  My other dates are in my signature.

Referral from Family Doctor - November 4/13  |  Orientation date for HRRH - January 9/14  |  1st meeting with surgeon - January 30/14  |  Dietician, Registered Nurse, Social Worker Appointments – Feburary 10/14 | Second Dietician - March 11/14 | Dr Glazer - March 20/14 | Sleep Test - March 24/14 | Sleep Test Results - April 15/14 | 2nd Surgeon Appointment - May 13/14 | PATTS - September 30/14 | Surgery Date - October 21/14

mum2TNT
on 7/3/14 7:10 am - Oshawa, Canada

I have wondered the same.  I was referred MAY 29...... and haven't heard a word yet.  I understand it may take longer for any communication through the summer months?  Its been about 5 weeks, I am going to wait another week or so and then phone someone LOL

Chrissy  ~~~  doctor referral May 29/14; info session Aug 18/14surgeon appt Dr. Starr  Oct 15/14dietitian, social worker & nurse Dec 11/142nd appts dietitian, SW & nurse Jan 19/15;  Dr. Glazer Feb 25/15; 2 weeks OPTIFAST April 15/15; surgery date April 29/15    AGE: 48   HEIGHT: 5'6"  

(deactivated member)
on 7/3/14 8:50 am - Toronto, Canada

Hi Chrissy,

I would check with the bariatric registry, just to be safe! With all the lost referrals stories, I just want to ensure they have received it. I checked after about two weeks. 

4-Jane
on 7/3/14 8:14 am - Canada

It seems to matter what center your with I waited for over two years and watched some wait only five weeks it was tough to read people say it was finally there turn after they waited for six months..... Focus on what you want and work towards it even small steps help if reading is difficult stop as it's easy to compare yourself to others and the wait times.  We can make ourselves crazy with that game as, I now know nothing is as it seems or should be rather it just is. Ps I'm from Thunder Bay so folks from my town waited longer than many.  This maybe changing as we have a surgeon now and hopefully our wait times will be more reasonable .  Welcome to this forum and my best advise is try your hardest not to compare your wait or loss to others.  I look forward to following your journey

Respectfully Jane
Carmela V.
on 7/5/14 11:24 pm - Whitby, Canada
RNY on 01/30/15

I was referred on March 28, 2014 and received my package in the mail on May 30, 2014.  My orientation was originally scheduled for September 25th but they had a cancellation for July 10th.  Be patient it will happen!

Referral sent Mar. 28, 2014, Orientation July 10, 2014, Surgeon Consultation Sept. 12, 2014, Internist Dr. Glazier Oct. 6, 2014, Sleep Test Oct.17, 2014,  RD Nov. 24, 2014, SW Nov. 24, 2014, RN Nov. 24, 2014, Dr. Sohi (2nd appt.) Dec. 2, 2014, Dr. Glazier (2nd Appt.) Dec. 16, 2014, Surgery day  - HRRH Jan. 30, 2015. HW 309, Opti Starting Weight 305, SW 288, Operating Surgeon Dr. Starr

Most Active
Recent Topics