RANT: No practical stranger, I don't want to talk about weight-loss with you for hours!

redviking
on 9/28/14 7:48 am - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 07/22/14

I've lost 48 pounds. People out in the world are starting to notice.  Last night, a woman I know from the dog park asked me in front of a group of other dog park acquaintances if I've lost weight. I probably blushed and just said yes, trying not to make it a big thing.  The women in the group made a point of saying I looked good and I thanked them.   Later on, one of the men came up to me and asked how I lost the weight. I told him i was just eating differently and tried to change the subject. He told me he reads a lot on the internet about fitness and weight loss and proceeded to go on and on about supplements and cardio and power lifting...I couldn't get a word in edgewise.  After about 10 mins I just made some excuse and got the hell out of there...UGH.   

Referral: Nov 12   Sleep Study: Feb 13   Orientation: Feb 13  1st appt NSWD: May 13   2nd appt NSWD July 13  2nd Sleep Study: Dec 13   Post Op Nut: April 14 Meet Dr. Pereira-Hong: May 14  PATTS: July 8 14   Surgery: July 22 14

Karen M.
on 9/28/14 7:56 am - Mississauga, Canada

1. Smile

2. Pretend to be listening by a) nodding, b) smiling, c) forced eye-contact

3. Eventually change smile to

4. Abruptly leave by pretending to chase your dog.

Problem solved.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

crqvingchange
on 9/28/14 11:12 am

you could say you're following your Dr.'s individually designed plan.  Tell them they should get their doctor to come up with a plan specifically for them.

crqvingchange
on 9/28/14 11:13 am

Or yell squirrel, then run away.

redviking
on 9/28/14 12:03 pm - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 07/22/14

hahaha, that is perfect. I'm not afraid to tell people I had the surgery. I just don't have the patience to hear people go on and on about the magic keys to weight loss they read about on the internet.  I was irritated with that kind of thing before surgery, and now even more so.  Obviously I don't need to take some weird supplement invented by a yoga instructor to change my stomach chemistry....I'm doing pretty well on my system THANKS! 

Referral: Nov 12   Sleep Study: Feb 13   Orientation: Feb 13  1st appt NSWD: May 13   2nd appt NSWD July 13  2nd Sleep Study: Dec 13   Post Op Nut: April 14 Meet Dr. Pereira-Hong: May 14  PATTS: July 8 14   Surgery: July 22 14

Karen M.
on 9/28/14 7:58 pm - Mississauga, Canada

It's funny how people with any interest at all in weight loss love to share their own "miracle formula for health" - according to them and the Internet, of course. I think they just get excited when they find someone who *might* also benefit from their fountain of youth (and health). I can guarantee you, this won't be the last "friendly stranger" who corners you, either with a detailed description of what they feel is right, are trying, hoping to try, or their own weight loss struggles.

Also, it was a good "in" to get to talk to the pretty blonde lady at the dog park (OMG, we have TWO things in common! Dogs and fitness!)

My original answer stands.

lol

K.

Karen

Laura in Texas
on 9/28/14 11:12 pm

I am good with the old "nod and smile" technique. People eventually figure out I am not listening. I especially love it when they are trying to sell me their crap.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Karen M.
on 9/28/14 11:14 pm - Mississauga, Canada

Gawd, I know what you mean, Laura. As if the spam posts and ads on OH aren't bad enough, it is worse IRL!

Karen

lexxiblue
on 9/29/14 11:24 pm
RNY on 01/11/12

it gets worse when you're almost near goal or have lost an extremely noticeable amount of weight! i had a store clerk and a bank clerk comment on my weight loss and yes they want to know how did i do it - it's funny.. when i was morbidly obese (as the doctors tell me i was) how no one ever asked how come you let yourself get so big! it's nice to hear you're looking great, no one ever comments on how much healthier i am, but after a while...  good luck cuz the comments from strangers don't ever stop! (not that it's a bad thing - i guess it's a personal thing!) and then that's just my 2 cents worth!

Karen M.
on 9/29/14 11:39 pm - Mississauga, Canada

You will find that comments from "strangers" DO stop, actually. Also comments from people you know casually, family, friends, pretty much everyone. Why? Because they become accustomed to seeing you at a healthy weight over a long period, it was so long ago that the way you look is "just the way you look", or they didn't know you when you were heavy so they have no idea.

Some folks have commented that they miss the comments/compliments as years go by, as there is a positive reassurance attached to the comments, whether we're comfortable with them or not - that's human nature.

I say enjoy the compliments and interest in your health (when it's you know, appropriate lol) because one day it won't really happen at all anymore.

My $0.02

Karen

Karen

Most Active
Recent Topics