Just starting my Journey

Mewildman
on 10/9/16 11:55 pm
RNY on 06/06/17

I am just in the beginning phases of this process with just completing the first meetings with a NP, a nutritionist, and Physical Therapist at OHSU in Portland, Oregon. My recorded weight at that time was 292 and I was told I have to lose 5% or 14 lbs. before I can have my surgery. Although losing weight is going to be great, the main reason I am pursuing a surgical option is because of the effects of Bariatric Surgery on Type 2 diabetes and the very high chance that I can get off of all medications. My Doctor was the one who brought to my attention research studies showing that Bariatric Surgery, especially Gastric Bypass, as having a drastic effect on Type 2 diabetes. I went into this process thinking Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass was the way to go, but after meeting with the Nurse Practitioner, I felt as if she was pushing the Gastric Sleeve option, most notably because it has far fewer potential complications. I am now very much confused as to which course of surgery I should pursue. Anyone have any suggestions as to where to look to help me make up my mind?

tammym
on 5/22/17 8:24 pm - Portland, OR
Revision on 01/16/12

I hope it's not too late, but please please PLEASE do not let a nurse push you into a choice that is easier for THEM, instead of one that is best for YOU. I did that once. It was a disaster and it took me over ten years to get a revision to the correct surgery. I ended up going to OWLS instead of OHSU, because the surgeon there is more experienced with revisions, but both are great clinics. Sadly, my diabetes did not get better, but worse. So expect to lose weight but remember that your health is still in your hands. Surgery is a tool, not a cure.

Mewildman
on 5/23/17 6:51 am
RNY on 06/06/17

Well, I have not had my surgery yet, but it is scheduled for June 6th. I have lost about 25lbs thus far and my blood sugar levels are pretty good. After that initial meeting with the NP, no one ever tried to persuade me into having the VSG over RNY. I remained undecided until i met with my surgeon a few weeks ago. We talked, I asked a number of questions which she answered as frankly as she could. We agreed that RNY would be the best choice for me to have the best chance for my diabetes to be halted. She did not say the VSG wouldn't give me positive results, she said in my particular instance, I would likely do well with that, but she said the evidence for RNY is better.

tammym
on 5/25/17 10:53 pm - Portland, OR
Revision on 01/16/12

Personally, I believe the RNY is way better. I had VBG (basically the same as the sleeve these days,) which failed, and had to wait years for a revision. I lost not only those years, but also additional years off the end of my life. By the time I had my RNY, too much damage was done. My diabetes will never go away. The nerve damage cannot be reversed. My sight cannot be completely restored. I wont get the feeling back in my hands or feet. There is more, but it doesn't matter now.

Most Active
Recent Topics