Insurance Coordinator

pitablond
on 6/18/08 2:36 am - Harrisburg, PA
Can anyone tell me what exactly happens at that first appointment with the insurance coordinator?
Pam Hart
on 6/18/08 2:56 am - Easton, PA
I didn't have an actual meeting with an insurance coordinator until right before surgery.  However, I had multiple dealings on the phone/mail with my insurance person (I used Barix in Langhorne pa)  I'm sure every system is different, but they were the ones who gave me all the info on what my insurance required (I needed for BCBS NJ PPO: Nutrition eval, 5 year weight history, psych eval.  For my DOCTOR, not insurance, I needed all of that plus a cardiology clearance, a sleep study, some blood work)  I am guessing that the insurance person will guide you through what you need (including most need a 6 mos supervised diet which is really nothing more than meeting w/ your doc once a month for 6 mos, them telling you what to do.  You don't have to necessarily lose or gain weight during this period, just follow the insurance companies rules)  Good luck Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
PrincessTH
on 6/18/08 12:52 pm - York, PA
What was involved with the sleep study?  I'm dreading that.
Pam Hart
on 6/18/08 10:56 pm - Easton, PA
My sleep study wasn't so bad.  I had to be there at 10pm. Before I went I had to have certain forms filled out and what not When I first got there I filled out some more forms and went over the forms I had already filled out with the guy.  Then I got dressed in my PJs.  I was told not to put on any body lotion or oils before going there, and no conditioner or hair care products in my hair, which was just hysterical because I have curly frizzy hair and without any products - well - I could easily house an entire bird village, lol. Then I went into a room where the guy put all sorts of electrodes all over me with some gummy paste.  There was one on each lower leg (on my shin), my arms, my face (around the scalp/hairline region), and some on my head.  Then I went into my bedroom for the night. I laid down - I was told to try to sleep on my back as that shows the most accurate results.  That was challenging for me, as I am a side sleeper.  He said the most important part was obviously that I sleep, so if I really couldn't fall asleep on my back, I could roll over into a better position.  Once laying down, he put a little thing on my finger (a pulse oximeter to measure my blood oxygen levels while sleeping), and something that normally gives oxygen to people like two little plastic prongs in my nose.  It did NOT have oxygen running through it - it was to detect snoring and the like.  The electrodes were hooked up to this little monitor on a bedside table. Then lights out - and he had me do a few "exercises" to make sure all the monitors were working.  I had to blink my eyes a certain number of times, move my legs and my arms etc etc.  Lights out was 11pm - but it didn't take the whole hour to set me up.  He also had another client in a separate bedroom, so he was doing both of us back and forth. I actually fell asleep pretty quickly.  He came in once to put the thing on my finger back on, as it had come off.  Wake up time was 5:30am if I remember correctly. It depended on how severe (if any) sleep apnea was to determine what else could have happened.  I was told that if I was found to have severe sleep apnea, they would have hooked me up to the cpap machine (a mask which pushes oxygen through to help keep your airways open) right then and there.  If I had moderate sleep apnea, I would be asked to return on another night specifically for a cpap study.  I was found to have mild to moderate sleep apnea, which would probably resolve itself through weight loss.  My surgeon and my pmd was not concerned enough to put me on cpap prior to surgery, which I was very thankful for. I did wake up multiple times during the night - probably due to the strange surroundings and trying to stay on my back.  I actually came home (by 6am) and went to bed for a few more hours - irony at it's best for me. You'll be ok! Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
pitablond
on 6/18/08 9:41 pm - Harrisburg, PA
Thank you for responding.  Apparently, from what I understand in order to even see the surgeon, I have to pay $25 out of pocket to have a meeting with the insurance coordinator.  This is the person that will be kind of like the liason between myself and the insurance company.   When I called to make the appointment they asked if I was at least 100lbs overweight and what kind of insurance I have.  My cousin who has been through this with the same facility never had to do this so I was just wondering if anyone here has. 
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1773 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1869 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2552 views