Transfer Addiction

J. M.
on 6/24/08 3:14 am, edited 6/24/08 3:31 am
First let me start by saying thank you to everyone for their kind responses. I was going to let this go, but of course I'm never good at that. I could be wrong, but I don't see my drinking as transfer addiction.  My transfer addiction is actually exercising. (BTW 4.1 miles today.). I've always been a big drinker...high school, college, turning 21 and so on.... And yes, I am linking that up to childhood in my therapy sessions.  That being said, if it was there before surgery, then it wouldnt be correct to say it was a transfer addiction after surgery. I saw my therapist yesterday and realized that my substitution for eating is exercise.  I kind of knew this already, but realized last week when I couldnt exercise because of the pain I was in that I was stress eating.  Exercising is my way out of that. I never ran to alcohol to make me feel better...like I often do the gym.  I was just drinking socially...but taking in too much for my body to handle....obviously.   Admitting that I was drinking too much (meaning getting really drunk maybe 2-3 times a month)was to me like someone admitting they cheated on the liquid diet. or went through the McDonald's Drive Thru...mmm.   Just a slip up that can be taken control of.  So I kind of just wanted to clear that up.  I know plenty of people use alcohol as their substitution afer WLS.  However, using exercise isnt so bad, is it? I'm not crazy obsessed...I just like it a lot. Kind of like sex....LOL. Have a great afternoon!

~ Jen   

dit657
on 6/24/08 4:33 am - Boothwyn, PA
Sounds like you have things under control, Jen. I've always loved my beer and Old Grandad but I noticed in the past year or so I would drink to the point of oblivian, which was not good - really, I wouldn't remember squat about what I said or did. A lot of that was stress dealing with my mother's illness(es), sister moving away, and me gaining even more weight. I get teased a lot right now because I'm so 'sober' - trust me, most of my friends and co-workers are waiting for that 6 month anniversary so they can be the first ones to get me trashed again! And I'm guessing it won't take much the first time? Plus I'm thinking beer is definitely going to be off-limits, as well as sweet drinks since I do dump. For me I think drinking will become something I do in moderation since I don't see myself giving it up forever - but if I can do food in moderation, then I should be able to do the same with alcohol since the reasons I was drinking so much no longer exist - mother is fairly healthy - am over sister moving away - and am feeling so much better about myself. Anyway, glad to hear this isn't a transfer addiction for you and exercise is - can't beat that!! Kathy

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
bcutekitty
on 6/24/08 7:02 am - Philadelphia, PA
god jen i wish i could run to the gym like you iam trying soo hard to kick myself in the a**** lately but it isnt working and i know that my stall is due to not going to the gym i wish i could become addicted to the gym Good luck sweetie!!!!

AnneMR12
on 6/24/08 7:36 am
Mmm  I could go for a vodka and tonic right now.  I feel a happy hour in our future! P.S.  Mike says the first round is on him!
Pam Hart
on 6/24/08 11:27 am - Easton, PA
This is a tricky topic in my opinion.  Do I think the alcohol was a transfer addiction?  Probably not.  I'm not saying it wasn't an issue however, that you are obviously handling. I'm gonna go against everyone else here and say that you do have to be careful about an exercise transfer addiction as much as you have to watch a transfer addiction to everything else that is possible.  To much exercise, if it becomes "out of control" or if you are not taking in enough calories, fat, protein, to support that lifestyle can be detrimental.  There's a reason anorexics also work out to extremes. I don't think you are in that danger zone - I think you are way to smart and analyze things well enough.  Just throwing it out there for others..... Anywho....you are doing fabulous, keep up what you need to do to get through everything, and way to go on that 4.1 miles - I see a broad street 10 mile with andy next year in your future! Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
J. M.
on 6/24/08 12:13 pm, edited 6/24/08 9:11 pm
you are very right. people who exercise to obsess on how it affects what the scale reads, clothing sizes, they way they look etc. could definitely be putting themselves in a danger zone. I however, dont do it for those reasons...thank god.  I dont keep track of my calories or have a food log...I just keep active.  That's what works best for me. I exercise because of the way it makes me feel.  How invigorating was it today after that run to lay under a tree, stretch, watch the clouds in the bluest of skies and just breathe.  There is no better feeling.   And now I can enjoy my yummy snacks...even if it's 10pm....because I dont care if i lose weight tomorrow because today I felt great! 

~ Jen   

Pam Hart
on 6/24/08 5:17 pm - Easton, PA
Well said! Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1781 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1874 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2557 views