question re: post-op

sbrunell
on 6/25/08 4:20 am - Bensalem, PA
When I got home from the hospital, I was very excited to come home, and felt great. Along my path, there are times when I asked myself, WTF did I do to myself, but most of those times, I was puking in the sink, or just tired of damn shakes. My wife just got home and is feeling that way. She still has some pain meds in her, so she is excessively tired.  I assume that her reaction is normal, but I wanted to find out who else had this same reaction. I've let her rest and plan on waking her to go for a walk soon. She didn't sleep well last nite. Thanks,
Steve Brunell
RNY  5/16/08
The first day of the rest of my life
Dr. Pupkova

jdruski
on 6/25/08 4:48 am - Philadelphia, PA
Hi Steve, Congratulations to both you and your wife.  I am 2 years post-op and only in the very beginning did I regret what I did.  It only lasted for a few minutes.  I had open RNY and to date have lost over 200 lbs.  I still have more to go but I would do it in a NY second. However, I also just went through my second panni and hernia surgery and I swore I would never go through another surgery again.  I felt that way for the 10 weeks that I was recovering.  I also had a major wound and had to wear a vac so I was really limited iin my activities. Please be extra nice and understanding of your bride.  We, women tend to have this estrogen thing that really blows out of hand during our inital weight loss (don't you just love my medical terms.?!)  It is perfectly normal to have regrets.  As much research as I had done, if I read a negative comment or article about GBS the thought runs across my mind.  But my health has improved 100% so that is the thought that keeps me going. Good luck to both of you in your journey. Jeanne
dit657
on 6/25/08 5:02 am - Boothwyn, PA
Let's face it, having our innards surgically altered is nothing to sneeze about and not having solid food can make a saint cranky, but she will get through it like we all did and have no regrets once she sees the pounds melting off. If she's 'normal' she probably gained 10-15 pounds while in the hospital due to fluid retention and other things, but as you know that will come off as quickly as it went on. Space and time are all we need to heal - and to follow the progressive diet to the letter so her pouch can heal correctly and she can transition back to regular foods. It might be difficult for her at first since you're ahead of her in that area, but I can't imagine any better support than having a spouse who has gone thru this as well. Kathy

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
(deactivated member)
on 6/25/08 6:03 am
I came home and swore I was gonan die cause I got very sick that was the only time that I thought what did I do. Even if she is tired you have to make sure she is walking every so often due to the risk of blood clots.  Let her rest and be cranky if she needs to just SUPPORT her.  Sleep is a blessing once you get home you know first hand they do not lets sleep while at Barix. She is gonna do great!
Pam Hart
on 6/25/08 7:05 am - Easton, PA
Steve, Can't offer much advice here.  I was kind of like you - very excited to be home.  Only after a few weeks, when I was having problems eating and dry heaving constantly, (because I was eating to fast hind site 20/20) did I wonder "WTF did I do"  The first couple of weeks I felt pretty darn good. Keep her walking (as much as she might hate you for it) and allow her to sleep as much as she needs as well (this is a tricky balance game) A lot of people have trouble sleeping when they first get home, especially at night.  I was also not one of those people.... Good luck to her - tell her we are thinking of her. Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1781 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1874 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2557 views