Pain after RNY

mrsbrunell
on 6/26/08 9:39 am - Bensalem, PA
Dr. Pupkova just performed my RNY on Monday and I came home yesterday.  All was going great and I managed to make the day on only Tylenol because the prescriptions were making me sleep too much.  However, today I have had stabbing pains in my left side that can leave me breathing like I'm in labor.  Is this normal??? I called the office and they told me to try a heating pad which had minimal effect because it sounded like abdominal wall discomfort after the surgery.  But the thing that concerns me is this is the first bit of real pain I have had.  I had pressure and discomfort before but I can't even venture out for my evening walk because I'll end up getting stuck 1/2 way around the block with terrible pain. Any suggestions?
JinPA
on 6/26/08 9:44 am - PA
Yes it is normal.  They just cut your abdominal wall and rearranged your intestines!   The stabbing pain stays for 3-4 weeks and then dissapears.  I thought I was dying when it hit me.  I got an extra pain pill to take at night and slept inlcined upright on a reading pillow.  Lying flat hurts like hell.  Hang in there, this is common and it will pass.  Mine went away at about 3 1/2 weeks.   Try to move as possible even though it hurts.  The pain actually gets worse when you still.
mrsbrunell
on 6/26/08 10:18 am - Bensalem, PA
Thanks!  I just went to Bed Bath & Beyond today and bought a wedge pillow after a miserable night last night.  I came home from the hospital and napped on my husband's wedge and had a great rest but when it came to lying flat on pillows, it didn't go so well :(   I was only really worried about the stabbing pains because my husband had the surgery 5 weeks ago and was lucky enough to never have had one to date.  But it is comforting to know that this is all normal and that my husband was just lucky :) 
JinPA
on 6/26/08 12:02 pm - PA
The wedge pillow is a very good idea.  Getting up from a flat position was sheer hell when I was going through this.   Also, sit on a pillow to raise you up a bit because getting up from a chair can also really hurt.  I am not a pain pill person, but I did take one Darvocet each night, and it really helped me to sleep.  I promise, this does go away.   Hang in there.
rita61677
on 6/26/08 9:46 am - Philadelphia, PA
Hi - I havent had surgery yet but I have this same question on here and barix's site a bunch of times and from my undestanding its gas. dr. p had to put air in your gut and its trapped in there so it has to come out adn can cause left sided pain. someone on here i think it was says they swear by gas x strips.
mrsbrunell
on 6/26/08 10:19 am - Bensalem, PA

My first thought was that it is gas but I haven't had any problem getting rid of that...thankfully :)  I've already been really regular on all fronts.  The Gas-X strips are great.  We have the peppermint ones and they are really cooling in addition to providing relief!

Pam Hart
on 6/26/08 12:19 pm - Easton, PA
I assume (and I don't mean to catalog you as this ONLY as you are your own individual) that you are Steve's wife?  Welcome home!!!! That stabbing left pain is a B***H lemme tell you.  One of my friends on here (susan) warned me about "The little man in your left side stabbing you with a hot poker" and that is about right. Take the pain meds especially at night - and if you need to during the day. Keep walking walking walking and make sure you get your sipping and rest in too!! Glad to see you on the boards!! Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
kimmiep621
on 6/26/08 1:51 pm
congrats and welcome to the bench,   i am 1 month post op tomorrow, and man i still get that stab,  hurts so much worse when i'm sitting on floor changing diapers and that position.  Dr. P said perfectly normal.  but i feel your pain,  try stretching to the right and dont slump over to that side,    i wish you the best, feel better soon

327/307/192 (-135 lbs)
consult/day of surgery/current 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1789 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1884 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2564 views