Hernia question

retta0426
on 6/28/08 8:17 am - Middletown, PA
I had my third hernia repair done six weeks ago. Shortly after surgery, I could feel a HUGE difference with this one, I felt much better then the previous surgeries. I had my post-op appointment with the surgeon, who is no longer at the hospital anymore. (he left for a promotion to Boston) He promised if I ever had an issue, anyone else on his "team" would take care of me. (Ahuh, a member of that same team is the one who did the other two surgeries that didn't turn out so well)  This time, I had mesh put in, the previous two, supposedly it wasn't needed.  Six weeks later, I feel ok, but last night I started to feel some different pain. The hernias never felt like this before. It almost feels like something is ripping across the top of my stomach area. I haven't lifted anything over ten pounds, trust me, no one will let me even if I wanted to! I also have begun to feel constipated in the last three days. It doesn't just hurt to go to the bathroom, but it hurts everwhere. I almost feel like someone is ripping my intestines out. So, yeah, it feels like my whole insides are being ripped apart. I haven't gone to the hospital or back to the doctor yet because quite honestly, I have NO leave time left at work to take off to go. (on top of that, if we are furloughed come Monday evening, I'll be screwed even more so financially) My question I guess is, has anyone else who has had the mesh put in after a hernia repair had any problems? I was told the mesh would take care of any problems I had with the hernia.
Melanie B.
on 6/28/08 9:30 am - Doylestown, PA
I have heard that the 'ripping' feeling is a scar tissue issue. i hope it gets better for you soon.

Sheryl H.
on 6/28/08 9:45 am - Abbottstown, PA
I had the mesh put in.  And I get a stabbing pain, sharp.  I asked the doctor about it and he told me it was the anchoring sutures used to hold the mesh in and they are pulling, causing the pain.  I would definately contact your doctor, even though you don't really like him, this could be a twist in the bowel or God forbid another hernia has occurred.  Take care. I'll pray for you.  Sheryl H.
Patricia R.
on 6/28/08 10:34 am - Perry, MI
Loretta, I had a lot of discomfort for a while after my hernia surgery, and I have mesh.  I wore a binder for months afterward, and that helped me feel better.  The support the binder gave me helped me.   Recently, I lifted something heavy, and I have been experiencing some discomfort as a result.  My surgery was in December. Hang in there. Hugs, Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Pam Hart
on 6/28/08 2:16 pm - Easton, PA
Don't have many answers for you - but wanted to say feel better! Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
KimZ
on 6/28/08 10:13 pm - PA

I do not have an answer for you but wanted to thank you for posting.  My 'baseball' seems to look bigger every week as I get smaller.  Doc said that as long as it wasnt bothering me then we would take care of the surgical repair when I do my plastics.  It doesnt really bother me.  I will be interested in some of the replies and will know what questions to ask when they do take care of mine.  Thanks, Kim Z

Ready4 AChange
on 6/28/08 11:38 pm - Upper Chichester, PA
I had my hernia repair in 07 so I don't really remember much. I do remember when I woke up it felt like someone punched me in my ribs. The doctor said " no wonder" he had to attach the mesh to my ribs because the hernia was that big. For quite a while it felt like my "baby" was trying to come back out. I had a few pains after that but not really bad. I had a little trouble "going" but took a stool softener and it helped.  If I were you and really worried I would call the doctors office just to make myself feel better. Hope you feel better soon. Sandy

Sandy  

ribbon.gif image by Ready4Achange Remember.......  Click to Give .....Hunger, Breast Cancer, literacy, rain f                                                                                         orest, animal rescue and CHILD HEALTH

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1789 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1885 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2565 views