Blood Donation

sbrunell
on 7/3/08 1:01 am - Bensalem, PA
I was a frequent blood donor..... I wanted to donate the last time the Red Cross was nearby, but it was the day before my RNY, and I didn't think that was such a smart idea. There is one today....I think I should be able to do it...although they may not let me due to the recent surgery... but if they did, could I? Afterwards they give you juice and cookies? Are my days giving blood over?
Steve Brunell
RNY  5/16/08
The first day of the rest of my life
Dr. Pupkova

DianeMarie
on 7/3/08 1:08 am - Delmont, PA

That is wonderful that you are a donor.  I havent had my surgery yet but I assume you should be able to give blood after surgery. BUT... It's kinda soon for you after your surgery to attempt it.  From everything I've read your body is probably too weak to be considering this.  Maybe 6 months or a year down the line it would be possible but I would check with your DR first.

You also might have to find something else to eat after.  The juice and cookies might make you dump and you dont want to give blood and then be extra weak after because of throwing up.

Diane

Smileycons!

Diane Stuffer's Facebook profile
dit657
on 7/3/08 1:24 am - Boothwyn, PA
Steve - call Barix and check with them - there's a blood drive coming to our building and I'm not sure I can give and I'm 4+ months out. I would think you are way too soon out of surgery to consider it. And Diane is right about the juice and cookies - I know I dump so all that would be a no-no, and I'm not sure what you should have in place of that following donating - another question for Barix and/or Dr P. Kathy

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
Pam Hart
on 7/3/08 3:15 am - Easton, PA
I don't know where I *think* I remember hearing this - but something is telling me a year or more and you are ok to donate blood.  I could be so off base on this it's not even funny. I tend to agree, though - your body is still adjusting and you haven't even had your 3 mos blood work done yet.  You don't know how you are handling this metabolically speaking.  If you are near anemic now - you definately could send yourself over the edge by donating.   Call Barix and/or Dr. P and ask what they say. Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
sbrunell
on 7/3/08 3:23 am - Bensalem, PA
Well, I put a call in to the Red Cross as well as Barix..... Red Cross is cool, as long as you are healed up. They would want you to bring something to eat before you leave, since you can't have their cookies. I left a message for Krista at Barix. Michele takes waaaay too long to call back. Sometimes 6 or 7 hours later, if at all. Anyway.... Krista's answer was 6 months is the rule of thumb, but check w/ the Dr next time I see her. I accepted that answer by itself, since I have two more appointments to remember the question to ask at a follow-up
Steve Brunell
RNY  5/16/08
The first day of the rest of my life
Dr. Pupkova

cleos_mom
on 7/3/08 10:23 am - phila., PA
Hi  Yes you can give blood. I had surgery on Monday 6/23 and I gave blood yesterday 7/2 ,  as long as you didn't have a blood transfusion and your HGB level is ok you can still give blood. I had my RNY in june 2007 and I was supppossed to give blood in November but my HGB level was only 12.1 and the redcross would like it to be over 13. Susan
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1803 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1901 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2582 views