Medicine question.. long.. HELP!

retta0426
on 7/5/08 9:37 am - Middletown, PA
I went to my new doctors office on Thursday to be checked again since the pain in my back has not gone away. Of course, there are quite a few doctors in this office, so I saw a different doctor this time (again).  After the examination, he told me what he thought was going on, then said he wanted to consult with one of the other doctors in the office. When he left the room, he went into the very next room and began discussing me with this other doctor. I was a bit irritated, but figured it was just me being in one of my moods. However, twenty minutes later, he walked back in my room and tried to explain what he wanted to do. I interrupted, politely mind you and told him I had heard the ENTIRE conversation he had with the other doctor and quite frankly, I was PISSED. He didn't understand what my problem was until I said, do you understand that I heard everything, including the comments you BOTH made about my progress in my weightloss journey?? Not only do you not want to support my decision to have this surgery, that by the way happened TWO yrs ago, not two months ago, but you discussed me with someone else and any stranger walking by that room could hear you! What happened to HIPPA? He apologized and gave me a script for some medication that he claims will help me with the pain.  Fast forward to today when I got the script filled. (everything was closed by the time I left on Thursday and nothing open yesterday) Anytime I am put on a new medication I look that medication up and see what effects it could have. The pharmacist basically told me there could be alot of side effects and told me before taking the medication, if it were her, she would call my regular doctor. I didn't get it until I looked up the medication online. Gabapentin is used for seizures and mood swings. Ok, so how is that supposed to help my back pain? At the very bottom of the website it does mention this drug could be used for nerve damage as well. Ok, maybe that is why he gave it to me, but, we haven't done the MRI yet to determine if it is nerve damage or the slipped disc he says it is. (or by the way he says, it's probably because your spine is out of wack from losing weight so quickly. Two yrs is quick?) On top of that, this medication can not be taken with any vitamins. SO, I have to space the time out, three times a day, so I'm not taking this within two hours of any of the vitamins I'm taking. Has anyone else been prescribed this medication?? If so, please tell me I'm just over reacting and it is ok to take this medicine. I am going to call my regular doctor on monday, but wanted any advice you guys could give.
Shannon O.
on 7/5/08 9:57 am - Reading, PA
Have you been to a chiropractor yet? When my gave me issues she fixed it and said it was because of the weightloss... I felt better after each visit... and I don't have to see her for another week... I had been seeing her 2 to 3 times a week... and then finally once a week to now 3 weeks since my last visit...

I haven't ever taken the med... but that is a pretty major med if I remember right... but, I think it might be time to find a new doc!

Pam Hart
on 7/5/08 12:45 pm - Easton, PA
Gabapentin is also called Neurontin.   Yes, you are right - seizure related medication was it's first original use.  It is now used for nerve pain. My FIL is on that medication - and it makes him very very sleepy.  I would be careful taking it for the first few times to see how it affects you. Also - you would need to be tapered off of it if/when you don't need it anymore.  You can't just stop taking it. Have you ever had shingles?  It is common to give after shingles because shingles is a nerve disease which damages the nerve pathways. It is a heavy drug - although may help you with the pain.  If because of the weight loss your body is pulling your spine or whatever out of whack, you could be compressing the nerves and causing damage, and therefore nerve pain. Yes, I would double check w/ your doctor to be sure.... Oh, and I'm not sure if it is one of them....but many seizure meds require frequent blood level checks.  Although - as I'm thinking about it - I don't think that Neurontin is one of them.... Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1800 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1893 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2572 views