Liquid Tylenol

lisa92069
on 3/29/09 10:04 pm - PA
Hi everyone - during my regular shopping trips (CVS, grocery store, Target, etc.), I've been starting to look for post-op products that I will be needing.  So far, I have not seen liquid Tylenol.  Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place.  There is liquid children's and junior, but no adult .  Anyone know where I can find some of this stuff?

I'm going to make sort of medical "crash kit" if you will, with all my post-op medical items in it, so I can go to one place for everyone.   So far, I'm putting in:
Liquid Tylenol (if I can find it)
Gas-X strips
Papaya enzymes
Scar cream

Thanks,
Lisa
Liz R.
on 3/29/09 10:20 pm - Easton, PA
Most stores carry it - it is ususally with the regular tylenol - it is red and comes in a rectangleish clear bottle - I think that it says something like "cool burst" on it. Here is what it looks like. If you can't find it let me know and I can ship you some. Caution though - I think that this made a few people here dump...

http://www.nextag.com/Tylenol-Pain-Reliever-Fever-544659112/ prices-html?nxtg=79d80a240519-5991EA00142B2BB1

The "crash kit" is a great idea! That way if you send someone else (hubby friend etc) to get something for you it is all in one place.

Liz
dit657
on 3/29/09 10:22 pm - Boothwyn, PA
CAUTION!!! Be extremely careful with Liquid Tylenol - I had one of my worst dumping episodes ever 2 weeks post-op from taking it - especially the one with 'power boost' - it is LOADED with sugar!!! Read the label very carefully before even thinking about taking a liquid version of this stuff - I didn't and man did I pay for it.

My back was killing me 2 weeks post-op - to the point where hubby had to help me into the bathroom - I had my 2 week follow-up with the surgeon that day and didn't want to take the real pain meds so thought I'd do the liquid tylenol instead - HUGE MISTAKE! I was in the shower and got the chills, severe stomach cramping,shakes, started sweating - hubby had to help me out to a bench in the bathroom and that's when I realized what was happening but knew I hadn't eaten that day - he read the label of the Tylenol and one of the first ingredients was SUGAR.

Kathy

ps: Turns out my back pain was from the muscles in my stomach being cut during surgery so everything was pulling on my back - pain subsided within a couple of days...

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
lisa92069
on 3/29/09 10:30 pm - PA
Hi girls - thanks for the info. (glad to at least know what it looks like now) and thanks for the info. about sugar being the main ingrediant. 

What do surgeons generally give you for pain?  And at some point, can I assume that I will be able to swallow pills?

Last year I had my gallbladder out (lap) and I really didn't use much of the percoset that they gave me.  Didn't have too much pain.  Hopefully the same will hold true with the lap surgery.

Lisa
dit657
on 3/29/09 10:39 pm - Boothwyn, PA
The surgeons will send you home with pain meds - pretty sure mine was liquid form - some sort of darvoset or percoset - something along those lines. And yes, eventually you'll be able to take pills again - I take all my vitamins and stuff in pill form and have no problem with it now, but had to wait several months before swallowing pills was comfortable. I'm fortunate because my body does absorb the vitamins and calcium and B12 in pill form - some people do not following surgery - you'll have to wait and see what happens for you.

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
Pam Hart
on 3/29/09 11:10 pm - Easton, PA
Pupkova generally sends you home on lortab which is vicodin - and she sends you home with liquid.

And yes, pills will be acceptable - some of them as early as about 2-4 weeks out.

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
Liz R.
on 3/29/09 11:17 pm - Easton, PA
My gallbladder removal was about 100 times worse then my RNY!

My Dr gave me Lortab which is liquid vicodin - I only took it twice, both times at night to help me sleep more then anything - after my gallbladder I used the entire bottle and 1/2 of another one!!!

I swallow the quick release tylenol now - but I am 2+ years out.

Hope tihs helps!!

Liz
BlancheJackson
on 3/30/09 2:38 am - Butler, PA
I was given capsules and told to take tylenol capsules after surgery...  Liquid Tylenol....just one huge dump. I wouldn't risk it!!

Blanche Jackson    352/314/258.6/180  

Lesley G.
on 3/30/09 2:44 am - Allegan, MI
After I left the hospital, Dr. Pupkova told me to take Tylenol Jr. Meltaways, two at a time.  They worked just fine, and then after about a month I was able to swallow the regular Tylenols.  Good luck!
(deactivated member)
on 3/30/09 2:50 am
**HIJACK**

Lesley awesome new avatar picture.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1775 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1869 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2552 views