in God's hands...

proudmama13
on 11/18/11 11:24 am - Bristol, PA
Two things happened today:  1. I got on the scale and lost 9 pounds. (I eliminated sugar and white flour from my diet and eat 6 small weighed and measured meals a day.  I started doing it to practice the way I would need to eat post-op, so as not be culture shocked,.  Who woulda thunk that it would actually work to help me get healthier!:-)

2. Abington called and moved my surgery to December 13th.  At first I was really jammed up about the weight loss.  I was freaking out about losing too much weight and not being able to have the surgery.  I talked it over with my OA sponsor and she said after prayerful consideration I should keep doing what I'm doing and God will take care of the rest.  So December 13th is my new scheduled surgery date but whether or not it actually will come to fruition remains to be seen... I can't lose too much more weight or my BMI will go below 40.   (who the heck thought I would ever be worried about losing too much weight?!?!)  AND my cardiologist appointment and endoscopy need to go well. 

Patience is not my strong suit, but I know that God has a plan for me and that whatever is supposed to happen, will happen.  So I'm praying for patience, serenity and sanity during this wait...

Just wanted to update you all.  That's where I'm at today. 

Love and big hugs to ya,
Selena

IdaMae D.
on 11/18/11 8:08 pm - Philadelphia, PA
Hi Selena;
I'm not sure how your WLS practice or what insurance you have but when I was getting ready for my surgery I was considered a lightweight to begin with.  I was barely over the 35 BMI requirement but had so many co-morbitidities that I qualified for the surgery.

I had to go on a 2 week liquid diet prior to my surgery and was down below the 35bmi requirement, my surgeon informed me that the surgery is dependent upon the weight originally submitted to the insurance company for approval.  I pray your insurance and WLS doc use the same rules.

Ida

IdaMae

proudmama13
on 11/18/11 9:35 pm - Bristol, PA
Hi Ida,

I sure do hope my doc uses the same rules.  Thank you so much for your insight...and your prayers.  They are very much appreciated!

Have a great day!
Selena

victoria3
on 11/18/11 10:40 pm - Douglassville, PA
Selena,

You've already been approved for surgery so if your BMI goes below 40- so what.  The insurance company won't know your BMI on the day of surgery and all of a sudden rescind your approval.

I work for Abington and I do the coding and billing for the hospital - and when we submit the bill to your insurance we use the BMI that Dr B/G put on the letter to your insurance company for original approval. We don't use the BMI that you are on the day of your surgery- so if you are below 40 it doesn't matter and a lower BMI is better for you and Dr B/G to do the surgery.  You are going to loose more when you go on the pre-op liquid diet. 

Hope that helps and makes sense.
Best of Luck!

Vicki

proudmama13
on 11/18/11 10:44 pm - Bristol, PA
That helps TREMENDOUSLY!!!!!!!  Thank you so much.  I can breathe a little easier now:)

merrymorris
on 11/21/11 1:46 am - philadelphia, PA
DS on 04/26/12
My question is what if I don't lose weight? Will aetna deny for not being compliant? I am so afraid I won't be approved.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1783 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1875 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2558 views