Starting Protein

Kathy W.
on 6/11/10 1:13 pm - Apache Junction, AZ
Help!! I finally got my surgery date (June 29th) and start on my 14 days liquid protein next Monday the 14th.  I would like to know what to expect during that time and does anyone have any suggestions to help me thru this?  I'm lucky to have a great husband who will also be doing this along with me, it will be easier since our kids are grown and out on their own so we don't have to make meals for anyone.  Any suggestions to help us through this would be greatly appreciated!
SunShine2010
on 6/11/10 1:29 pm - Ranson, WV
 Congrats mine is Monday. I been doing the Strawberry Atkins shakes they have like 15 or 16 grams of protein. They do not taste bad either. I do 4 shakes a day and 1 Atkins bar. and the Atkins bar has about 17 or 18 grams of protein.

Anita J.
on 6/11/10 2:28 pm - Moore, OK
Congrats, I am see my dr next thrus still have a way to go. I have been wondering about this 14 day diet. Good luck!!! You are so very lucky to have a husband that will go right along with you. I am not so sure mine would do that.
candymcclain
on 6/11/10 2:30 pm - Norco, CA
I'm currently on the liquid protien.  There is no other way to say it, it is tough, very tough.  I only have 3 more days to go.  Good luck to you.
Teresa_Ann10
on 6/11/10 4:48 pm - Beech Creek, KY
Hi congrats on your surgery date!! I am currently on my 14 day protein diet day 5 it has been rough but I really dont like any of the protein shakes so I have been using the carnation good starts sugar free breakfast shakes 2 a day and eating a lean cuisine meal without potatos pasta or rice then next week i will go to full liquid diet 4 shakes a day and broth, jello, sugar free popsicles and crystal light. My surgery is set for june 22nd. I wish you the very best of luck Im sure with you having such a supportive husband you will do GREAT! God Bless!
Tonya S.
on 6/11/10 11:30 pm
I'm 6 days post op- and I have to say that my 14 day diet was not to bad.  But every dr is different. I could have other fat free foods, like all veggie salad with FF dressing, ff cotage cheese, ff veg soup. So it was not to bad, just boering as anything. I lost 14 lbs on it.

Good luck!

" You will be safe in his arms, the hands that hold the world are holding your heart"
Kathy W.
on 6/11/10 11:43 pm - Apache Junction, AZ
Thanks to everyone for your support and suggestions.  I guess I should also mention that my Dr. is putting me on a full liquid diet for the entire time, no solid food at all.  I did a lot of experimenting to find some that I like.  Costco had premixed protein drinks that taste like chocolate milk, they're just called 'protein' and sold by the case, also I found a mix at the vitamin shoppe called 'nectar' that mixes almost like crystal lite with water and ice that I think will also help me thru this.

I know it's gonna be hard and your words will remind me that I'm not alone... Thanks again!!
Michelle E.
on 6/12/10 3:07 am
I have been on Full liquid diet for 5 days now. I use the Nectar Protein with Benefiber and usually blend in 1/2 banana in my shakes. I have 4 shakes and chicken broth. You may need to take some gas x. Vitamins for sure. I even started taking some potassium too. I tried the EAS protein YUCK!  I am still waiting for the surgery date. I was advised its suppose to be in June. I like the Nectar Caribbean Cooler = Pina Colada, Fuzzy Navel=Orange, Vanilla Torte= Vanilla. I just blend with 8-12 oz water 2 scoops of benefiber.. oh my goodness so full. Lots of water too about 80-100oz per day.
redheadjean
on 6/13/10 8:45 am - Canton, MI
I'm on day 7 of the liquid diet.  I found that you need to know what sweeteners you do and don't like.  The Nectar has AceK in it and I can't stand that sweetener.  I had already bought it from Vitamin Shoppe, but they let me take it back.  I have their brand of chocolate protien powder and I can put that in with skim milk and decaf coffee every morning and it is like a latte.  I can drink tomato juice - which fills me up, and I have sf pudding and no sugar added applesauce (I add splenda to make it sweeter).  The only food I really get to eat is oatmeal in the morning.  It is hard to sit at the dinner table with the family and I didn't even try it before yesterday.  I actually made them dinner tonight and I ate my warmed up tomato juice and my apple sauce.  My favorite protein shakes so far have been from bariatriceating.com.  I had ordered one of their samplers and they have stuff like peanut butter fudge and dutch chocolate and peanut butter cookie.  She is out of a lot of it though and you have to watch for it to come in.  Good luck!
Jean  
Most Active
Recent Topics