did you feel like eating after surgery?

fireflymkz76
on 7/28/12 8:32 am - Blairsville, GA
RNY on 07/24/12
I had my surgery on tuesday and I have not felt like eating anything.  I have eaten jello and a little chicken stock but that's it.  I am so gassy and bloated feeling that today I actually took a gas-x.  I don't know where all the gas is coming from, I mean I am letting it out kwim?
check out my blog: http://alwaysl8totheparty.blogspot.com/      
sugarbabyhoneypump
kin

on 7/28/12 8:35 am - IN
I didn't feel like eating either. I didn't have much gas though. I had a nasty taste in my mouth and just didn't feel well. I felt much better after about day 9.
~~Sonya~~
(Roux-en-y 07/05/2012) Heighest Weight/Surgery Day Weight 240lbs     
miss.katybeth
on 7/28/12 8:41 am - CA
 I am 8 days post op and today is the first day I'm feeling snacky ... NOT HUNGRY.  Today is the first day I WANT to eat, but I have been really careful to get my liquids and proteins in everyday!  Hang in there, the gas goes away and you'll feel good soon!
martitalinda
on 7/28/12 8:50 am
I did not feel like eating anything for a long time ... but then I had a major complication so was laid up for a while .. I had back to back surgery go figure .. I had this HORRIBLE taste in my mouth and I also had uvulitis so bad from both endotracheals that swallowing was almost impossible without gagging ... but I forced it anyway ... Make sure you stay hydrated and make sure you manage whatever is on your plan for this stage .... keep trying even if you fall short ... hydration is important as you well know...

Wishing you nothing but the best!!! The good thing is that it gets better and better each day ... and before you know it all the discomfort is behind you ... ask me how I know LOL

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

autumnsiggy2RNY 2/5/07 no regain having implemented lifestyle changes....

Dave Chambers
on 7/28/12 9:55 am - Mira Loma, CA
For many new post ops, their appetite is minimal for weeks, if not longer.  Gas issues early out are due to surgical gas. BUT, digestive gas is a long term issue for many patients.  Eating 5-6 small meals per day suits many post ops, as opposed to 3 normal meal times.  Hunger usually does return for most, but some pateints may have the lack of hunger long term.  I know more than one woman in my support groups who have to use timers, cell phone alarms, etc. to alert them it's time to eat something.  DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

flyingwoman
on 7/28/12 10:01 am
 You really need to start getting some protein in you. You need the protein to heal. Try a dink mix type protein like Weidars or Syntrax Nectar if you can't take anything thick.

Starting BMI 69 w comorbidities | 55 of the weight lost above was pre-op.    
siamsa1
on 7/28/12 10:22 am
RNY on 07/17/12
I just had surgery on the 17th and I still don't have an appetite.  I have to force myself to get my protein, water and even vitamins in everyday.  Now that's not to say that when I smell something that smells wonderful that I wouldn't like to take a taste, but I have not felt physical hunger since the night before my surgery.  At this point I'm still on full liquids but I have to force myself to try something different other than just my protein shakes. 

Jennifer

Zeigled
on 7/28/12 11:19 am - Parkton, MD
Not at all hungry....within the first few WEEKS.  Just make sure you get your fluids in and protein as much as possible.
HW 357 SW 341   

Monisha M.
on 7/28/12 11:53 am - CA
RNY on 07/11/12
Manisha - I didn't feel like eating for a good week after I had surgery. The gassy and bloated feeling are from the surgery, but over time will go away. Just keep walking walking walking...it really does help a ton. I really don't feel like eating even now 2 1/2 weeks Post Op, but I set my watch to go off at normal breakfast lunch and dinner times to remind me to eat and then I have my protein shakes in between with water.

Monisha        
BluIzGal
on 7/28/12 12:19 pm - Canada
RNY on 07/10/12
I am 2-1/2 weeks out and have no desire to eat. The most protein I've taken in is 36g. If I don't log what/when I eat I forget. One day I forgot and only ate a 35 cal yogurt.

Most Active
Recent Topics