Does IBS go away or make it worse

Carmen C.
on 8/1/12 12:46 pm
RNY on 08/08/12
Surgery is in 7 days.. I have IBS - I have had it for many years.. Does it go away or make it better? 

I

Had RNY on 8/8/2012- revision from Gastric sleeve in 12/2008-  
LOST 5.8 POUNDS POST-OPT

BluIzGal
on 8/1/12 12:51 pm, edited 8/1/12 12:51 pm - Canada
RNY on 07/10/12
I have...or should I say had it. I'm three weeks post op and so far so good. I used to be in the washroom 5+ times a day (yeah, TMI) and now the opposite. I originally wanted VSG but my surgeon assured me that IBS involved the colon and not the intestines. As a result, my provincial health care wouldn't cover it. I chalk it up to a change in my diet. We'll see how that changes as my diet increases.

johnsmom9983
on 8/1/12 1:11 pm
Gone, completely gone and I am so glad. For the first time in 20+ years I am now dealing with constipation.
TXKashmir
on 8/1/12 1:25 pm - Grand Prairie, TX
Almost four years out, and years of suffering with IBS is completely gone!

Debbie
Keeping track of my progress without a scale...Starting size: 28-Current size: 6-Goal size: 14

sand SAND...it's not a club...it's a frame of mind...

Cherokeesage
on 8/1/12 5:07 pm
RNY on 02/24/12
I have Chron's with IBD and it went into remission.  I've had constipation for the first time in my life a few times.  So nice not to be running to the bathroom all the time.  I think the digestive system likes the small meals.

Banded  Oct 2008:  290       
RNY Feb 2012:        245    
Dr's set goal:            170 reached Oct 11, 2012
My goal:                     160  reached Dec 1, 2012
Today :                       145-150

I am half the person I was in 2008.

Carol M.
on 8/1/12 10:31 pm - TX
 I am 18 months out, going for check up today and labs.  I suffered from IBS for over 20 years.  I have not had a single episode since my RNY.  Best decision I ever made to have surgery!
Waysta
on 8/2/12 2:20 am - TX
My IBS is SO much better !!   I feel like I am finally having "normal" bowel movements after 45 years of staying close to a bathroom and not doing things I wanted to do because a bathroom was not close by.  Definetely better !!! 
Slow and steady !!!!  Have a Blessed Day !!!!!!                             
(deactivated member)
on 8/2/12 4:38 am
My IBS is gone completely. I have constipation more often than anything but usually I'm regular. Before surgery I knew where every toilet in a 100 mile radius was located, and I am very skilled in using trees too.

I remember living on Sprite and pretzels for about a year because everything I ate just caused such terrible diarrhea. The cramps and spasms were constant. I even got the IBS diet books and they didn't help. Calcium citrate was the only thing that helped me some but even then it was like a dishrag on an amputation.

I assume that inflamed part of my intestine is gone now.
graceinpas
on 8/2/12 2:29 pm
 Be careful of lactose, sugar substitutes and caffeine.  They still seem to flair mine up.

Saying good bye to the fat, uncomfortable life I am living and hello to a thinner, more active second half of life!!!!    
Most Active
Recent Topics