Ok. I've held off posting buyer's remorse until now...

VintageChick
on 5/21/13 11:56 am
...and i have to get it off my chest, along with a good cry. I am one week out as of tomorrow morning. I should not have done this. I'm stuck with it. It has nothing to do with food and everything to do with health. I feel sicker than I ever have in my life. I'm pushing the water and protein. I'm trying to do a little walking but have no stamina. I called my surgeon yesterday with some blood volume concerns since my cycle began Saturday and I was only an 8.2 upon discharge from the hospital earlier that day. I'm afraid it's lower now. And that was after blood and blood product transfusions following surgery. His nurse told me to see my PCP to have a hemogram. I'm doing that tomorrow. I went in to surgery with a robust 14 hemoglobin. Now I'm just exhausted. My incisions are still more painful than i expected after a week. My feet and ankles are significantly swollen. I had a dose of IV lasix while still in the hospital. Never had a problem with swelling before in my life. I sit under an electric blanket when before I would've been plenty warm with the spring weather we're having. I feel I've damaged what was an obese but fairly healthy body and turned it into an obese sickly body.

I see other's post about how well they're doing and am so happy this is going well for them. I just drew the short straw.

I know there are no answers except to 'suck it up' and deal with it! I knew the risks going in...
poet_kelly
on 5/21/13 12:27 pm - OH

You know, I think most people that have had any type of complications have some buyers remorse.  Gosh, many people do even if things are all going completely normally.  But in your case, or the case of anyone with any kind of complication, what you're dealing with right now are all the negatives and you haven't gotten to any of the positives yet.  It's only been a week, so you haven't gotten to experience significant weight loss.  You're not feeling healthier or having more energy or any of that good stuff.  You haven't gotten to the non-scale victories yet like shopping in regular stores or fitting easily in a chair with arms or not getting short of breath when you have to climb a lot of stairs.  All you've experienced so far is a liquid diet, pain from surgery, a hospital stay, and severe fatigue from blood loss.  Who is going to be happy about that?  Who's going to say, gee, this is such fun?

Honestly, though, it doesn't mean you shouldn't have done it.  It just means so far you've gotten all the icky stuff and haven't reached the good part yet.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

WhoIWantToBe *.
on 5/21/13 12:45 pm
RNY on 01/10/12

It gets better, I promise. I PROMISE.

I had surgery last week, too (not related to WLS.) I'm still miserable. I actually had a burst of energy for the first time today, and got some cleaning done, but I pushed too hard and now I'm feeling it. 

Any surgery is exhausting, but I keep reminding myself that it does get better. Now if only those dang staples would stop itching...

- Barb, who is at GOOOOOOAAAAAAL!

HW: 274  SW: 244  GW: 137 CW: 137!
              Keep on swimming!  Keep on swimming! 

Sherrie P.
on 5/21/13 12:46 pm
RNY on 02/06/13

I felt like death warmed over for about 3 weeks.  I am sorry you are having problems. Hopefully they will resolve quickly and you will start to feeling much better.  

You are right... you cannot go back.  So really you do need to try and focus on the positive and know that the surgery DOES work and that you will be on your way to a healthier life soon.  

The first month is the hardest - and it DOES get better!!

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

jensieck76
on 5/21/13 12:51 pm - TX
I am a week out also, I am fourtunate the biggest issue I have is gas pains. Please give your body a chance to heal. I know its hard, I know it seems like a mistake. Once all evens out and we really start losing the weight things will change. I know you dont know me from adam but if you need someone to talk to please message me. May God keep you and bless you!

For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength. Phillipians 4:13 laugh

CW 190!!! GW Anything under 200 was the icing on the cake...going for 170...lil more icing never hurt anybody!

Oxford Comma Hag
on 5/21/13 1:27 pm
It really will get better. I am sorry you are having a hard time. Most of us experienced the freezing cold after surgery. I used to say I went into the hospital in summer and came out in the winter. I was freezing! I still am sensitive to cold but not as much.
What you are experiencing will improve. Your stamina will improve and your pain will fade. I'm pulling for you. Take care.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

daubbermom
on 5/21/13 1:38 pm - OH
RNY on 01/28/13

I second Poet Kelly, you are in my thoughts and prayers.

april89love
on 5/21/13 2:10 pm - NC

I felt horrible for about a month. It does get better. I now get to enjoy my grandchildren like I want to. Life is good!! Praying for you!

Sandy

HW 225, SW 219, GW 140, CW 124

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me!  

DebsGiz
on 5/21/13 2:40 pm - FL

I'm really sorry you're having such a hard time right now, but I suspect that this will pass in a few weeks.

You need to give yourself time to heal and time for your hormones to adjust.

I know it sucks.  Most of us have been there and remember that the first few weeks was no picnic, but before long you're going to be up and about, loving this new journey you've embarked upon.  Just be patient, bite the proverbial bullet, and in another month I suspect you're going to be back up and running at full velocity. 

Welcome to the loser's bench!!!! 

Bucketta
on 5/21/13 3:24 pm

I was in your shoes by going in with a wonderful HGB of over 15, had surgery, had a lot of bleeding after surgery, got down to like a 5 Hgb and received several units of blood and an iron transfusion.  Was in the hospital 11 days and sent home with an 8 Hgb.  It quickly climbed back to normal and before long I was feeling wonderful.  I honestly thought I was dying the first few days after surgery and wouldn't have cared if I had.  I am now so glad that I didn't.  Things do get better and you will be so happy in a few months.  Try and I know this is hard to do, to have a more positive attitude about it.  Keep telling yourself this is worth it, this is just a bump in the road and it will get much better.  Now if I hadn't been in your shoes I couldn't say this.  Hope things brighten up for you soon.  

Jacqueline 
 RNY 1/24/11

Most Active
Recent Topics