TEAM NO MEAT!!!!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 1/30/15 5:43 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Compared to other options, beans don't have much protein. 1c of kidney beans has 8g protein; to get 60g of protein per day, you'd need 7.5c of beans. That's a LOT of substance to get in a little pouch.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

chulbert
on 1/30/15 6:07 am - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

If you want to eat this way then you need to eat a variety of foods and you do probably need to eat more than three "meals" a day because you're absolutely right: there's no way you're going to get 30g of protein in one meal of vegetables.  However, you can do a lot better than one cup of kidney beans.  For example, a single serving of steel-cut oats made with soy milk would be 13g of protein (and 6g of fiber!).

Oxford Comma Hag
on 1/30/15 6:17 am

Those steel-cut outs are a recipe for reactive hypoglycemia for a lot of people, though.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

chulbert
on 1/31/15 1:29 am - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

Different people are certainly more sensitive to dumping than others; however, steel-cut oats in fact have a very low glycemic index.  When you add even more protein to the mix with cow or soy milk you really do have an excellent balance of macronutrients.  I would respectfully disagree that it would be an issue for "a lot of people."

Of course, everyone needs to find their own path and tolerance.  :)

H.A.L.A B.
on 1/30/15 10:41 am, edited 1/30/15 12:36 pm

Soy milk is byproduct of soy oil industry..toxic stuff . most soy is GMO ..

Read about how they make soy milk. They use toxic chemicals. There is nothing natural or healthy about that crap. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

chulbert
on 1/31/15 1:32 am - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

I think you're being sensationalistic.  It's certainly not "toxic" and I'm not personally afraid of the GMO boogeyman.  However, it's trivial to find products that avoid everything you've stated or you can make your own at home.

H.A.L.A B.
on 1/31/15 3:51 am

You are still young. You will learn. One day you will realized that some of your "info" is old..

Until then, good luck...also..fyi -  you may choose to reseach that: there are scientific studies that question the male hormone balance for men who consume soy product... And as young as you appear to be... You may really look into that..  Soy is not a miracle product some people would like us believe it is..

I was there once - believing that Soy is great...until i learned more...

And GMO - They really don't know the full effects, except it had been documented that it may cause seriuos genetic birth defects in animals fed GMO crop... Scary....

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

chulbert
on 1/31/15 4:31 am - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

It a common misconception among laypeople - people who do not possess the skills to evaluate scientific studies and rely on armchair analyses done by bloggers - that new studies beat old studies but that's simply not how science works.  Even if a study is well-constructed, free of bias, actually tests what it claims to test, has been peer reviewed, and has been reproduced, it's still evaluated in the context of our existing knowledge. Revolutions are rare and every new study, if vetted, is merely a fine thread that gently tugs on our body of scientific knowledge.

I am familiar with the sensational claims on the effects of phytoestrogens in men and they are bunk.  What is not bunk, however, is soy's anti-cancer properties.  The isoflavones in soy are just about the most powerful thing we have discovered anywhere against breast cancer.  As a woman that may serve you well.

But what does this young, dumb, guy know?

Chilipepper
on 1/31/15 5:19 am, edited 1/31/15 5:23 am
On January 31, 2015 at 12:31 PM Pacific Time, chulbert wrote:

It a common misconception among laypeople - people who do not possess the skills to evaluate scientific studies and rely on armchair analyses done by bloggers - that new studies beat old studies but that's simply not how science works.  Even if a study is well-constructed, free of bias, actually tests what it claims to test, has been peer reviewed, and has been reproduced, it's still evaluated in the context of our existing knowledge. Revolutions are rare and every new study, if vetted, is merely a fine thread that gently tugs on our body of scientific knowledge.

I am familiar with the sensational claims on the effects of phytoestrogens in men and they are bunk.  What is not bunk, however, is soy's anti-cancer properties.  The isoflavones in soy are just about the most powerful thing we have discovered anywhere against breast cancer.  As a woman that may serve you well.

But what does this young, dumb, guy know?

The Dangers Of Soy

http://www.harrisburgmagazine.com/November-2014/The-Dangers- of-Soy/

http://www.mercola.com/article/soy/avoid_soy.htm

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/2014/02/12/strai ght-talk-about-soy/ 

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mercola/soy-health_b_182246 6.html

Chulbert, you are 2 yrs post op. you are still living in the " I have lost a lot of weight euphoria so I am an expert on everything WLS".  I admire your ***** but you have barely lived in a post weightloss maintence reality.  

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

chulbert
on 1/31/15 5:35 am - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

Good lord can we please stop the personal attacks?  If you disagree on a factual basis then say so, provide references, or discuss ideas.  Don't attack my age or time post-op in an attempt to discredit my argument.

Living post-op doesn't make you any more an expert on the underlying science than being a good driver makes you a mechanic.

Most Active