TEAM NO MEAT!!!!

C_Turner221
on 2/3/15 7:56 am
RNY on 12/22/14

Thank u so much for this post ... I'm doing well overall ... Just having a meat tug-of-war! Lol!!! I appreciate the ideas and tips and will continue to try my best to make things happen from a food aspect . I think you're totalky correct ... It's basically trial and error ... So I understand completely... Just expressing raw emotion lol!!! 

Thanks again for your ideas ... I'm gonna have to try a few ... Lol!! 

Smile Life Looks Good on YOU!   Crystal    

Caroline K.
on 1/30/15 2:33 am

My surgeon wouldn't let us have red meat for 6 months after surgery, but chicken/fish/eggs were okay once we were past the puree stage. Maybe just wait a while on the heavier stuff. Legumes and beans are definitely a good source of protein, as well.

Referred to Guelph, Dec. 3/12. Orientation: Mar 7/13. NUT/SW/RN Jun 18/13. Nutrition Class Jul 3/13. NUT/SW/RN Aug 19/13. Post-op Nutrition Class Dec 30/13. Approval for surgery from Dr. Jules Foute Nelong Feb 10/14. Surgery Apr 23/14.

C_Turner221
on 1/30/15 2:50 am
RNY on 12/22/14

Thank You Love Bug for your post! I actually tried steak (No BUENO)... Chicken.. (No BUENO)... Shrimp (so so) ... Tuna (so so) ...  Chicken (No Bueno) .. Veggies, Cheese.. YAY! LOL! I don't know.. I like beans too, but then everybody is like watch those carbs... and I am like I need my protein... What battle should win or lose... idk.. uggh

Smile Life Looks Good on YOU!   Crystal    

poet_kelly
on 1/30/15 4:15 am - OH

The carbs in beans are complex carbs and they are good for you.  We actually need some carbs in our diet.  I was able to get to my goal weight eating a lot of beans for protein.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

H.A.L.A B.
on 1/30/15 10:50 am, edited 1/30/15 9:58 pm

We don't need carbs in our diet.  We can have some, but we don't need them. The information you have is old. Very old.  We need proteins.  We need fat (some we can't make) . We don't need carbs.  Our body can make sugar from proteins. But not proteins from sugar. Read about that. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

poet_kelly
on 1/30/15 10:16 pm - OH

What about fiber?  You don't think we need fiber, either?  Every reputable source I've read says we do need complex carbs.  What are you reading that says we don't?

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

H.A.L.A B.
on 1/31/15 3:41 am

Research it.  WE don't need carbs. 

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

poet_kelly
on 1/31/15 6:20 am - OH

All the reputable sources I've looked at say we do need carbs.  If you have some reputable sources that say otherwise, I'd like to review them.  But i have researched.  The University of Illinois, the Mayo Clinic, Harvard, and many other sources ALL say we need carbs.  If you have other research to share, I'd like to see it.

H.A.L.A B.
on 1/31/15 1:33 pm

There we go again.  There are a lot of studies that can prove we can live off proteins and fats. 

There are a lot of tribal group of people (alaska, china, russia) who rarely eat carbs and they do just fine... Or are thyy wrong? 

The same "reputable" sources you list still have on their websites outdated recommendations to avoid butter, eggs and other saturated fats because thay cause heart problems.  Really?..Please...and recommend carbohydrates for diabetics..REALLY? 

Here is one example. But please do YOUR own research to find out more...

Also http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/how-many-carbohydrates-do-you-need.html/ 

You need more - find more...on your own. Read some more. 

Look into glucogeneogenesis... http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gluconeogenesis.  Plus our body function very well in ketosis, burying mostly proteins And fat. 

Have you ever wonder if lack of meat in your diet could contribute to your depression? Make it worse? 

I know that when my blood proteins gets low - i get depressed and get tired easily.  Also when i ate more carbs than i eat now, i dealt with higher and lower blood sugar all the time.  Blood sugar fluctuations ...and was looking for food al the time...now, i eat 3 times a day, or 5..depends what and how much. But I have mental clarity, no low BS,  my depresion has lifted, my blood work is great, ... 

I still eat some veggies, not a lot,  and only because i like it.  Not because i "need it". I do get some fiber, but not a lot..my body, my gut hates fiber.  And my gut doc knows about it, and he actually advised me to limit fiber...

poet_kelly
on 2/1/15 12:33 am - OH

No, I don't think the lack of meat contributes to my depression.  My total protein level was 7.3 last time I had labs done, and my albumin level was 3.9. I have been seeing a doctor of chiropractic that does acupuncture and also has a lot of education in nutrition and she thinks my diet and labs are excellent.

My blood sugar is pretty stable.  It crashes if I eat too many starchy carbs, but I very rarely do that.  I'm trying to remember the last time it happened.  Maybe a year ago when I ate a big bowl of cereal?  Which I ate because I was having some financial issues and was relying on my local food pantry for groceries and they mostly give starchy, processed foods.  But that's not typically what I eat.

I don't consider wikipedia a reputable source.  And the other link you provided, I can't tell what, if any credentials that guy has.  It doesn't appear he is a doctor or registered dietician or anything like that.

Like I said, I've done research.  It appears we have different ideas about what research is valid.