Time off?

Missmandy24
on 1/30/15 5:55 am

Super close to being able to submit to insurance for surgery approval. I am a teacher so obviously I get summer off. Originally when I started this process last year I was aiming for December (two weeks off plus my week and half sick leave takes me to almost a month off). Well now I am going to probably be approved for a Marcus or April surgery date. I am considering just trying to hold off till the beginning of June. Not sure how that part of things works though... How much time did you take off? What's the process if I need to miss work? Do you think the surgeon will let me pu**** out or once I get approved do I have a window where I have to get it done? Thanks!

Cathy W.
on 1/30/15 6:10 am

I took off for two weeks.  I had a job that was mostly sedentary so it was fine.  

Depending on the amount of employees, you could take FMLA (Family Medical Leave Act), short term disability (if available) or vacation/sick/PTO combo.  

With your job as a teacher, explain to your surgeon and insurance company the time frame you'd like to have your surgery.  It is only a couple of months later so I wouldn't think it would be a problem.

Cathy

Want to get back on track or stay on track? Get Back On Track Together!

Maria27
on 1/30/15 6:15 am - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

I'm sure it depends on your insurance and if the preapproval expires. My surgeon's office told me the soonest day that I could have the surgery, and I asked to wait a few weeks so I could have it during spring break. It was not a problem for me, but your insurance might be different. I am a student, and I only have nine days off before I have to be in class again. I'm not sure how that is going to go yet.

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

Missmandy24
on 1/30/15 6:22 am

I was also considering spring break if I needed to do it right away. I think we can apply for fmla (my first year in district before I wS private so not sure). But I know for a fact no short term disability. I also know I don't have enough sick at this point to cover it. We have a week for spring break and I have four days pto. My doc did tell me at least a week mandatory and since I only teach part time she could release me on a limited release after that but said normally you are weak and she said getting the diet mastered can take longer so reccomendations are two to three weeks. 

teach2
on 1/30/15 6:20 am
RNY on 12/23/14

I am a teacher also. I just had my surgery Dec. 23- over Christmas Break. I had a teacher workday the day prior to my two weeks and went for that. I was EXHAUSTED, and felt like I had been doing situps for the entire day. The next day, of course, the kids were back. I moved VERY slowly and had little energy. I would recommend that you wait till June. If I could do it over again, I think I'd take a few half days, at the very least. You have to be so 'on' when you're teaching, and I just wasn't there. I made it, but I would suggest you just wait the extra time.

Missmandy24
on 1/30/15 6:26 am

Thanks for the perspective. I am really leaning towards June. Just because I know my insurance has been a PITA to deal with I want to prepare myself for the possibility of not being able to wait should they give a window for approval. I have mentioned to the head nurse that this is my plan and she hasn't said much other than to hold off on my ekg and heat X-ray until this next appt and then she will talk to the doc on how to proceed. 

Jenn S.
on 1/30/15 6:20 am - Boise, ID
RNY on 06/16/14

I was home for two weeks although one week of that I worked from home part time.  I was approved in March and they wanted to schedule me for April.  I needed to wait for school to be out because my kids had a lot going on so they scheduled me for June.  I would discuss this with your surgeons office but I don't see why they wouldn't let you schedule it so that it is convenient for you.  Good luck!

STB
on 1/30/15 8:52 am
RNY on 07/21/14

I would think your surgeon's office could help you find out how long you have once approved.  I have an office job but needed a month off. Planned for two weeks but just wasn't feeling well (low blood sugar issues and not tolerating fluids/food well). I would aim for June. Less stress than wondering if you might need more time. If you are doing well, then, that will be great.

SHARON  

Rosalie123
on 1/30/15 9:48 am

I have Wellmark. Awaiting approval. Informed if approved, have 3 month window.

RNY 2/24/15

Sherrie P.
on 1/30/15 12:10 pm
RNY on 02/06/13

If you submit your proposed surgery date in June, the insurance should work with that. Otherwise they often give you a 90 day window - so take that into account. 

I was denied for my September surgery and then I had to appeal, and it was approved. The surgeon wanted to operate in November, but I had too much going on and had to pu**** off to February. It all worked out. 

I would wait until summer if you can... you will feel so much better and time will FLY.  I took off 2 1/2 weeks and wish I could have taken 3.

Good luck.

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 445 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 400 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 334 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 435 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?