Plastics

Brandi Girl
on 4/4/19 4:49 am
WLS on 10/18/11

I will also post this question on the plastic's forum but this one has so much more traffic I was hoping some of you would be willing to share your experience/knowledge with me.

I am looking to get a breast lift with augmentation in Michigan. Fist any Michigan people who can suggest who to go to or NOT go to would be GREATLY appreciated!

My real question is what are others experiences with getting these procedures done when they are still about 30 pounds from goal weight? My surgery was over 7 years ago and I do have some regain. Not only is the surgery needed to look the way I want I am hoping it could be used as motivation to get me back on track. I am just not sure if I will get the results I want if I am still over weight when I get the surgery? I do not want to put this type of money investment into the surgery and not be happy with results. At the same time, I am certain having the surgery will be a huge motivation for me to continue on track ( as I have already started losing since having decided to get this surgery finally). Any experience on this would again be GREATLY appreciated!!

Thank you!

catwoman7
on 4/4/19 5:21 am
RNY on 06/03/15

I've read that gaining or losing more than 10 lbs or so can affect your results, although I have no personal experience with that. I had my first PS at 150 lbs and my second at 148 lbs, which was already in my target maintenance range. For me, too, motivation to stay in that range was one of the factors in my decision to have PS. After spending all that money, I do NOT want to screw this up! I'm curious to hear what others say. Although I'm not sure if a breast lift would be quite as affected by a weight change as something like a lower body lift would, so you may be OK.

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

Brandi Girl
on 4/4/19 6:13 am
WLS on 10/18/11

Thank you for your comments!! I do think and plan on asking all the doctors I speak with about this will probably agree waiting until reaching and maintaining goal will be best. I just see many people on this forum who decide to get these surgeries ahead of time and it makes me wonder if I'm worrying too much.

Gwen M.
on 4/4/19 5:58 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I had all my reconstructive surgeries prior to reaching my goal and I still haven't gotten there. I have lost weight since the surgeries and I haven't noticed any negative impact.

The things I kept in mind were these:

1: I knew that I might need to have follow-up surgery when I did reach my goal and I accepted that risk. I figure any subsequent surgery would be easier because the majority of the work would have already been done.

2: I knew that more weight loss might degrade my results. This is also a risk I accepted because I had my reconstructive surgeries in order to be able to do all the things I wanted to be able to do. If any degradation did happen with further weight loss, further surgery would be for purely cosmetic reasons and not for functionality reasons.

So.. in your case, you're saying that you'll only ever have one surgery. I knew that I might need to revise someday down the road and I accepted that. If you do the surgery now and don't leave yourself the option to revise, I can see that this might also cause you never reach your goal because you won't want to risk your investment in the surgery.

Perhaps instead of hoping having the surgery will motivate you to reach your goal afterward, you should, instead, use the promise of surgery as motivation to reach your goal BEFORE surgery?

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Brandi Girl
on 4/4/19 6:17 am
WLS on 10/18/11

I ABSOLUTELY agree it is already an incentive to reach and maintain goal!!! And will probably wait until I have reached and held goal weight for several months before I get the surgery. But my impatient mind would just love to think having the surgery at this point would make losing easier on me mentally as I get some IMMEDIATE results.

Thank you for your comments it always helps to hear others thoughts and experiences on matters this important!

Gwen M.
on 4/4/19 6:18 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Having consults at this point might be beneficial and encouraging. :)

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

catwoman7
on 4/4/19 6:29 am
RNY on 06/03/15

I totally agree with Gwen here. It took me a long time to come up with my short list, do the consults with those who were on my short list, and then decide which surgeon I wanted to go with. This might be a great time to start that process...

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 4/4/19 12:12 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

I've read that some surgeons will not perform plastics unless your weight has been stable for at least a year.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/4/19 7:30 am, edited 4/4/19 4:21 am

When I was growing up, and through all my life, I had big breasts. They were heavy, and always interfere with some of my activities. When I gained weight- I would often gained a cup size, and that was the last to go when I was losing. Because I had them big all my life (since puberty) I hated them. The weight, the shoulder getting tired, the back pain, and the unwelcome advances from some men.

After RNY I lost my weight within 9 months and I had breast lift, no augmentation. There was enough of my own breast tissue to give me large C - small D size. I honestly hoped I would end up with smaller breasts. But my surgeon did not want to cut the breast tissue

I now have D to DD, depends on my weight over the years.

I was very glad that never consider augmentation. I read women stories of complication they have with their implants. Scar tissue, movement of the transplant over time, etc etc.

Consider pro and cons, and your age. Are you sure you really want that ? Good luck in getting what you want but be aware that long term complication can happen.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Kathy S.
on 4/4/19 10:21 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi Brandi,

I had 3 major plastic surgeries in the Chicago area. My biggest recommendation is get to goal or where you feel comfortable and wait to have surgery until you feel you have it under control. You don't want to go through all that and then some to undo it by a weight gain. That being said I feel my plastic surgeries were as much a key to me staying at goal all these years as my weight loss surgery.

Dr. Fenner (he did 3 surgeries on me) http://www.fennerplasticsurgery.com/ Dr. Lawrence Zachary http://www.uchospitals.edu/physicians/lawrence-zachary.html Plastic Surgery via Northwestern http://northwesternplasticsurgery.com/body-procedures-chicag o/body-lift/

When you are ready go to at least 3 plastic surgeon consults. Tell them what you want and ask them how they would go about doing the procedure, how much healing time, scarring, pain and realistic expectation. I made my choices based on the surgeon that was creative and hiding the scar for the back skin removal.

If you have any other questions please feel free to reach out.

Regards,

Kathy

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130