Anyone gained after reaching goal and successfully get back to goal?

sweetpotato1959
on 7/15/20 9:42 am

Sunny,

As long as you have a Bariatric team.. and can make that connection, That would be a good move!... I would begin that journey to get back on track and get a week or so into it, then do a consult with them to get the most bang for your buck... during at least 5 days- do a detailed diet diary you can turn into to a nutritonist...

Diet Diary. Include foods/prep method and measured amounts and counts,proteins, carbs, and water minimum... info..will be helpful for further evaluation and.. weight as you have begun this dialog and effort. If you have another health condition ...( ex High blood pressure/ low blood pressure, any stage of Diabetes or hypoglycemic episodes.).. Be sure to include any tracking you are doing to monitor those...

Be sure to get your surgeons recommendations for weight loss phase and for maintenance.. Get it in writing. This will be what you will have when your clinic is closed.You are left with your tool and have had a regain later in life. This experience will prepare you for that time when you must "wing it."

You need to make sure you have all your "ducks in a row" before something happens and that team is no longer available.. Surgeons get sick and have to retire as well as others..early... no one wants a part time surgeon. No gastric surgeon wants to do follow up on a patient of another physician. That is what happened to me and Mom a few years post op.. It has been so long now the office has moved, the hospital razed and no one knows were our records are...So good to have physical records of your exact procedure... a copy of the surgeons report, labs before and after minimum... once you get them in hand make 2 copies... and secure one in a fire proof safe/box.

Just a few random thoughts...Hope this helps you in your journey... Hang in thereyou have this...!

Denise
gratefulgurl72
on 7/8/20 8:32 am

I am 10 years post-op. In December 2019 I started Noom after gaining almost 50 pounds from my lowest weight post-op. It worked pretty well, I was working out and watching my steps and feeling better. I had dropped 15 pounds. I found what I thought was a gastric hernia and had to stop the workouts during COVID, not to mention I am essential and the stress got to me and I lost the motivation. (turned out to be a fatty tumor by the way) When I was finally able to see my Dr. again, the new Dr. in my primary was a former bariatric surgeon and worked in various WL clinics helping people with regain. He put me on a med that people have had some short term success with and has me coming in monthly. I ordered a new protein powder supplement and work out routine this week and I am starting to look at this site again for motivation. I've lost 3 more pounds. My goal is to get back to that lowest weight. I am hoping for at least 5 more pounds this month. I thought that was a good goal to start with.

White Dove
on 7/8/20 12:56 pm - Warren, OH

RNY gives you malabsorption for at least 18 months. When your body starts absorbing food again you regain. By the end of year three it is is very rare for someone to be underweight.

Most have gained back 20 or more pounds.

It is not your fault. It is the way the surgery works. To lose the weight again you have to eat less calories than you burn.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

SuMari
on 7/9/20 3:28 pm
Erin T.
on 7/11/20 4:46 am
VSG on 01/17/17

What was "goal"? I way over shot my actual goal and lost an additional chunk of weight. So yes, I've "gained" but I'm sitting at ideal BMI/weight right now and have been for about 18 months or so. You can expect some bounce back no matter where your low weight settles out.

VSG: 1/17/17

5'7" HW: 283 SW: 229 CW: 135-140 GW: 145

Pre-op: 53 M1: 22 M2: 12 M3: 12 M4: 8 M5: 10 M6: 11 M7: 5 M8: 6 M9-M13: 15-ish

LBL/BL w/ Fat Transfer 1/29/18

Sunny2018
on 7/11/20 10:29 am
RNY on 10/22/18

Goal weight was 160, then I made it 155 but I looked so drawn and not well at that weight, so back to 159 (so I was at least under 160 as the number seems to bother me). I reached goal in 12 months, I"m sure I would have kept losing if I wanted to;

I know what I did wrong - I was to introduce foods I had avoided to see how I would react - when I found out so much was fine for me, I over indulged in carbs, sugar (not fried food - that is pretty much off the table for me, which is a very good thing).

I also began eating un planned snacks, grazing, which is completely what I know I should not do and have now stopped.

I track everything, and usually plan my food for the day ahead - so no nibbling, or grazing is allowed.

I've also added Weigh****chers to follow, as it really has some great support on line now - loving the virtual meetings, and so easy to adapt recipes to have high protein when needed.

Sunny

White Dove
on 7/11/20 1:37 pm - Warren, OH

The only thing you did "wrong" was gaining back. You should have kept losing until your were 20 pounds under goal. Because the way RNY works, you regain 20 pounds in year 3, except for very few exceptions.

It is Ok to look too thin for a year or so and then let the body take its natural course and gain back to your goal. Weigh****chers is a great way to get control again.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Erin T.
on 7/12/20 4:45 am
VSG on 01/17/17

Each person's comfortable weight varies, but the drawn look you're talking about is very typical of people who had WLS even when you're still at a safe/higher weight. When you lose weight really fast, your body pulls fat from everywhere and it's not evenly distributed. If you stay at the same weight for a good while you'll notice your fat redistribute. I know people who are still technically obese, but their collar bones are on point (literally!) and their face looks hollow. That stage normally scares your family.

After my weight settled out I noticed more fat in some places that had gotten really thin (upper chest, where you could count my ribs), hip bones that really protruded, etc. I'm 5'7" tall and 135-145lbs now (The lower end when I'm distance running and the mid/higher end when I'm not). My lowest was 124lbs.

VSG: 1/17/17

5'7" HW: 283 SW: 229 CW: 135-140 GW: 145

Pre-op: 53 M1: 22 M2: 12 M3: 12 M4: 8 M5: 10 M6: 11 M7: 5 M8: 6 M9-M13: 15-ish

LBL/BL w/ Fat Transfer 1/29/18

Most Active
Recent Topics