Second Chance after RNY over 10 years ago. -- Anyone in this boat?

Gallerygal
on 8/2/21 3:55 am

I am so glad to hear this!!! She is wonderful. Good luck!!

Journeygirl4444
on 8/10/21 7:55 pm - Lincoln Park, MI
RNY on 08/04/13

Hi,

I was wanting to see how your revision went? I hope you are doing well.

Thank you- Teresa

loydjc
on 6/24/21 4:20 am

Hi Gallerygal,

I had my RNY in 2007. I've gained @ 80lbs back of the 120# I lost initially. I'm very frustrated and disgusted with myself . I have asked @ a revision and I was told that I had nothing to revise...my pouch was as tight as it could be. So I'm trying to lose it on my own but having no luck. I lost 20lbs recently but gained it back over an 8 month period. It came off slowly and came back very quickly. I'm working with the medical weight loss center at a local hospital. I like my dietician but I'm just not getting anywhere.

I haven't seen much about revision for a RNY. I'm really hoping I can do this. This is my first post and I too am looking for support!

Nice to meet everyone!

Gallerygal
on 6/30/21 6:29 pm

Thank you for posting loydjc! Nice to meet you as well. I totally understand everything you are saying and feeling. I am also amazed by how heavy I feel. I don't remember feeling this heavy when I used to weigh this much in the past. But, I am also older now as well so... lol I don't know how I allowed myself to get back to this point (I mean I know how but mad that I let it happen). The only positive I can focus on at the moment is that I have stopped gaining weight. I consider this a win.

That is what I have to do. Focus on the positive things or else, I might eat my sorrows away... which of course, would make it worse.

At this point, I have opted not to got back for surgery. As much as I want too, I am going to give this one more chance on my own. And what I have decided to do was get a second job. My full time job is 100% sedentary and the weight started coming on when I stopped working my second job which was active! I hate going to the gym and I am not motivated to exercise. But, I can be motivated for an extra pay check. So, I am going to give this a chance and I know for me, working in retail will help me get 10,000 steps a day. I know this sounds crazy, but honestly, I know if I get myself moving, I can lose the weight (I hope).

Keep working with your weight center. It will keep you focused and accountable. I stay connected with various social media and support groups and this helps as well. Keep us posted. Remember, you have done this before and you can do this again!

Donna W.
on 7/24/21 1:16 pm - Spring, TX

Hi! I had my original RNY is May 2007. I had the Overstitch procedure done 2 weeks ago. starting weight was 325lb. I lost 125lbs in my first five months. Went on to slowly lose a bit more and stalled. Maintained this for years but had a host of issues and surgeries. Then about 5 years ago the weight started creeping up. I became to have a ton of abdominal symptoms. Pain,boating, intense sharp pain. Nausea all the time. I have been on Zofran and Levsin (for intestinal cramping) in addition to being diagnosed with Celiacs Disease, malabsorption and then IBS. Things continued to get worse. Went to my surgeon in April. He recommended that I see a gastroenterologist that also performs the Overstitch procedure so that in addition to his finding out what is wrong, I could be evaluated for the procedure. Let's just say I am so glad I went. My friend that had RNY in 2006 also went with me. So we determined he would do an upper go to check out what was going on. Hers was straight forward. She had stretch out. Her pouch so he made the stomach opening 8mm and brought the pouch size down to original size post RNY.

for me though not so easy. Turns out I had a gastric diverticula on my staple line near my stoma. It was a pouch or as he called it a hump. So that was feeling with food that wood get stuck. Produce gasses causing the bloating and so much pain. Then her sutured that closed and reduced my stomach and pouch from the 7mm in length back to 2 mm. So I had a bit more pain and adjustment than my friend. But I have to say. I fell so much better!!! And I have lost 15lbs. I lost 16 lbs after RNY at 2 weeks.

the diet after is rough 2 weeks clear liquids and 4 weeks full liquids (then 4 of purée and 4 sifts) but I feel so much better. I am so glad that I went and now feel confident in loosing the weight. Now on full liquids I can have regular protein shakes instead of just protein water so it's a little easier to take. But I look forward to losing the weight regain and keeping it off this time.

Donna

Melbow19
on 8/14/21 7:38 am
Revision on 08/18/21

Hi Donna!
I'm having the Overstitch on Tuesday!
My original GB was in 2003 and I lost 115 lbs. My lowest weight was 150. I settled in around 170, which was a comfortable weight for me and I maintained it for 13+ years. After having my daughter, then 2 failed pregnancies, the weight started to creep up. Currently, I'm at 230 and am hoping the revision will give me the tool I need to get back on track and get to a healthier weight. Being this weight at age 48 is a whole different ballgame than it was in my 20s. The aches and pains are impacting my quality of life.

Would love to hear more about how you're doing! Maybe we could keep in touch since we're going through this around the same time!

Hope you're doing great!

Melanie

sweetpotato1959
on 7/26/21 9:50 pm, edited 7/26/21 2:51 pm

I'm going to throw out a couple ideas for you to research/try while you are in this "waiting room." Neither requires a specific diet so you would be able to maintain the portions you think are working for you.

The good thing is neither will cost you anything except dedication to them. each can be as flexible as YOU need it to be.

The first is a tip given to me 25 years ago-will be on Oct 31st-, by my nutritionist/ counselor after my surgery.

(BTW my diet is 90Gm protein minimum, Carbs daily standard goal no more than 50, set w/surgery)

Nutritionist/lifestyle coach said...Do a brief exercise when you get out of bed (to boost your metabolism-for the day he suggested 15-20 min), one after mid day , and another before /at bedtime (to boost metabolism and burn more calories during part of sleep cycle)..doing your total exercise amount in 1/3 amounts each time.

I was doing the prescribed amount of exercise but this gave me the boost i needed.-maybe it will help you . I began adding isometrics to my night routine..In isometrics one tenses the muscles in sets, slowly holds for a count off 3 or 5... then slowly releases and repeats x 5...I begin at feet and do feet and ankles then calves, then upper thighs.. all way to neck and head. i do mine on the bed.and am sleepy and tired after...so assist me into sleep.I now have a series of back strengthening exercises i do to maintain alignment with them all of them together take 7-8 minutes.

The second thing you might try investigating is the cycle of your eating. There is a method of eating all food consumed in a short span of time..it is SAID to increase fat burning.and boost stem cell production.. There are several doctors have you tube video's on it. Look up" Intermittent fasting for beginners..What you need to know." Each Doctor has a slightly different take, so check out a couple of them... . i would suggest to watch what one of the Doctors/clinics has to say on the subject-with their methodology..and then choose one that has an idea how to best implement for your schedule and lifestyle/ for trying..

I have not been intentionally doing it but my husband has had good loss with it 3x a week.He generally fasts 14-18 hours and just has a cup of coffee and ice or lemon water/unsweetened. until time to break his fast. We eat early about 5p.. so by 6am is well into the 13th hour.

My Brother uses this method and has had some success with it. he has an impossible diet. foods he is allowed to eat on one part of his Rx'd diet he can not have on the other one.. they are total opposites. he would qualify for ice water only if he maintained both diets.. he and his wife eat from 11am - 5 pm.

Hang in there and keep working and modifying your plan to what you find works for you..Know that there is an answer to your problem. Keep on Keeping on! Each of us / each body responds different. You will find what works for YOU with diligence.

Denise
andyinmco
on 8/2/21 9:22 am - DELTONA, FL

I am in your boat!!! I had my Roux-en-Y on 06/29/10. My lowest weight was 141. I am currently 47 years old and post-menopausal. I don't eat a lot but not eating the correct foods and liquids. No sugar at all, because I still get sick. I am currently back to 205pds and 50 of it has been since the pandemic started. Today is the first day of my pouch reset. I am going by this diet, which was our diet when we first had surgery. https://www.lasvegasbariatrics.com/the-bariatric-pouch-reset /?fbclid=IwAR0of0vsjAY7YMTgLm8-DHZcZ7Ka5BQ-46Q1LijfbmVJ50wqK 7OJXqWH9Z8

No more fried foods, no more foods high in fat, no more simple carbs, and no more alcohol!!! I'm going to give it a solid 6 months to see if it works before considering a revision. It's now 12pm and I'm so hungry. It's clear liquids only day. I have to retrain my brain not to eat when I'm not hungry and not eat while sitting in front of the TV. Good luck.

I have a Facebook page if you would like to follow. @andreawls

HealthcoachMaria
on 8/2/21 10:35 am

Hi Gallerygal,

I also had rny in 2007. I also had some regain about 3yrs ago and was able to get a hold of it . If you like you can follow me on IG and we can connect.

@mariag_yourhealthcoach

Gallerygal
on 8/3/21 4:10 am

Thank you! I will look for you on IG!

Most Active
Recent Topics