Recent Posts

mct1968
on 8/6/06 3:05 pm - Regina, Canada
Topic: RE: WLS in Saskatchewan
Hi there; Marcy from Regina. I too am trying to have the surgery done, but unfortunately I have to loose 15lbs before i can be concidered my bmi is too high. I noticed you had put Dr. C in saskatoon. From what I understood he is no longer taking patients. He is retiring due to some health issues of his own. There apparently is a couple of docs there training now to take over this area. I know this cause a friend of mine had his surgery done at his office last january. I also noticed your insurer is GWL - they from what i understand do no approve any wls at all. I too am with GWL. But i dont think us saskatchewanians have to worry about the insurer. Its finding a doctor we need to worry about, and their policies. As our doctors have more of a strict policy on this surgery. AS in my case. I found a doctor but he only will operate on certain people. If your a woman your bmi has to be below 55 where as if you were in the united states they operate on ppl over bmi of 60. doctors alot tougher here. About our sask health - they will pay for the surgery, but now that doc c in saskatoon has retired our only option now is to go out of province for the surgery. Which sask health will pay for but will not cover your transportation or accomidations. There is a doctor in Medicine hat alberta - if i am correct, ive been referred to him/her carol nohr is the docs name, but because my bmi was too high i was denied and have to loose weight now to be accepted. But sask health will pay for this. If anyone *****ads this needs more info, dont hesitate to contact me @ [email protected] or [email protected] or [email protected]. Thanks Marcy
Preeti
on 7/18/06 5:09 am - Regina, Canada
Topic: WLS in Saskatchewan
I am considering this surgery for myself. What are the steps to do this?
Preeti
on 7/18/06 5:07 am - Regina, Canada
Topic: RE: lap band surgeons
Hi, I recieved a call from Sask Health and Dr. Colquhoun in Saskatoon used to perform this surgery, but no longer does as he is on medical leave and then will retire I believe. Now not sure how true this information is though. Sask Health will cover the cost of the surgery and all hospital costs. If you go out of province, the surgical procedure would need to be billed under the Interprovincial Reciprocal Billing Agreement. I hope this helps. If you find out more information on this, let me know at [email protected] Thanks Preeti
Preeti
on 7/18/06 5:03 am - Regina, Canada
Topic: RE: Saskatchewan, Canada anybody already had WLS
Hi, my BMI is 37.1 and I am hoping that my doctor will recommend this surgery as well. I have not been able to find out about doctors here in Saskatchewan that conduct this surgery. I recevied a call from Sask Health mentioning that Dr. Colquhoun no longer conducts this surgery and will be retiring - I hope I received the correct information on this. What were your steps with your doctor to recommend this surgery for you? I have two medical conditions as well (arthiritis, and sleep apnea)
~~~Kaye~~~ G.
on 6/10/06 7:34 am - Regina, Canada
Hi, Sask. health denied me so I am going to Brazil-D.S. surgery with Dr. Marchesini . Didn't even appeal, figured it would be a waist of energy. Good luck wirh your progress with the lap band. Keep in touch. Kaye G.
MLM
on 6/9/06 1:48 pm - Quebec City, Canada
I am in Sask. I got the Lapband in Toronto about 11 weeks ago. I was told there was NO way Sask Health would pay for anything, and they didn't. Dr. C in Saskatoon isn't taking anymore patients, so don't count on that. Good luck!
mct1968
on 3/25/06 9:47 pm - Regina, Canada
Topic: RE: lap band surgeons
Hi; Well I live in Saskatchewan Amber, and as of yet I dont know a doc that does lapband proc. yet, I have been referred to see a doctor in Saskatoon he doenst do the lap band that I know of, he does the duodenal switch which resembles the RNY. I have heard of a doctor in Edmonton that does the lapband, from what my family doctor told me, she would prefer to keep any kind of surgery in saskatchewan before going out of province to do. But she also was hesitant about the duodenal switch because its so envasive...but next day after she agreed to refer me, her office called me and told me they have refered me to the doctor in Saskatoon which I dont believe he does the lapband. Maybe she had change of heart, maybe she found out he does do it, or even maybe he can refer me to someone who does. Another bit of info, that doctor is retiring which I found odd too that my doctor knowing he was retiring in 2 years and yet she still refered me there. I think his name is Dr. Colhoun and his waiting list is over 3 years. Now Saskatchewan health does pay for the Surgery and the post care Surgeries (Tummy Tuck etc...). And so should other Canadian Provinces.... And I know Saskatchewan Health care will cover this if you get surgery out of province, but I dont believe their at a stage yet to cover out of Country. As far as Medical Coverage Private ... Corporate... my insurance doenst cover weight loss surgery that i know of, of course when I called them to ask it wasnt even in their vocabulary. But the woman on the phone told me to get a referal and submit it, and see what they respond to.... chances are they dont. She has never heard of anyone submitting that request. And I am with Great West Life. Hope this answers any of your questions. If you need to contact me, I do know a few people in saskatchewan here that are pre and post opp. So I could try to get you more answers if you need. My email address is [email protected] and if you have chat it is [email protected] or [email protected].
DareBear
on 3/24/06 1:45 am - Regina, Canada
Yes, I've had weight loss surgery on Febuary 9th, 2006. The surgeons name is Dr. Brain Colquhoun & he does his surgery out of Saskatoon Saskatchewan, I've got my consult date on October 2nd, 2002, it was a bit of a waiting list but, I'm soo happy that I've got it done. I haven't feel this great on years.... maybe a decade. I would really like to talk to you more about this, plus we have a Regina & Saskatoon weight loss support group. if you like to contact me, please do so. my email is [email protected] or can msn me [email protected] or phone me @ (306) 591-6000 Darren Dormuth Age:39 Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada Pre-Op Weight : 345 lbs (Febuary 9th, 2006) BMI:48.1 Current Weight: 309 lbs (Febuary 23rd, 2006) BMI:43.5 Consult Date: October 2nd, 2002 PAC Date: January 31st, 2006 Surgery Date: Febuary 9th, 2006 Surgeon: Dr. Brian Colquhoun City Hospital, Saskatoon,Saskatchewan, Canada
(deactivated member)
on 2/28/06 5:36 am - Albuquerque, NM
I have had WLS. I am from the states. Moved to Saskatchewan two and half years ago. It is a very risky decision to make, I had nothing but complications afterwards. But if you ask if I would do it again, I would tell you yes. I was 350lbs and had severe arthrits and back problems and I was only 21 years old. I am now 26 and 170. Your BMI is under 40, most doctors wouldn't recommmend you for the surgery, I am surprised. However a lot has changed in the last few years too. I wish you the best of luck. If there are any questions or problems that arise, please feel free to contact me. Take care and be well. Best wishes!
~~~Kaye~~~ G.
on 2/8/06 3:25 am - Regina, Canada
Topic: Saskatchewan, Canada anybody already had WLS
Just wanting to see if there is anyone here that has had some type of weight loss surgery, or are thinking about it. My doctor has submitted an application to Sask. Health for out-of-Canada approval, not sure if I will get it because my BMI is 37.5, but with two medical conditions(hypertension, arthritis).
Most Active