Post-Op Eating

Angela I.
on 11/27/11 6:07 pm - Trenton, TN
My surgery is set for Jan 4th and I'm trying to read up on everything. I was curious if there were any good cookbooks out there for bariatric patients.

I love to cook and having something to help me come up with new food ideas would be great.
rhearob
on 12/5/11 11:38 pm - TN
 I haven't found any specific cookbooks, but there are some (Centennial gave some away as door prizes at their Holiday Reunion).  What I do is look for naturally lowfat recipes, then tweak them to make them fit into my diet.  I use the My Nutrition Data website.  It has a great tool for analyzing recipes and producing a nutrition label like you would find in a grocery store.

I am in stage III of the diet right now.  Some foods I have found that I really like are:

1.  Vegan Boca Burgers (130 cal, 30g of Protein, its important to look at the label - the Garden burgers are just junk - empty calories)
2.  Cottage Cheese
3.  Greek non fat yogurt
4.  Citrus grilled Chicken Breast (If eating out, get the Grilled Chicken platter from the kids menu at Chili's and squeeze some lemon and lime on it)
5.  Herb roasted Turkey Breast (You can blend with the yogurt or light mayonnaise to add moisture, I also came up with a gravy recipe that had only 23 cal per 4 tbsp serving)

I went to the Titans v. Bucs game and had a turkey burger patty, it was alright, but I like the Boca burgers better.  I also hate most seafood, so I have Omega III enriched eggs either scrambled or boiled to provide the fatty acids.

Hope this helps.

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

KellyJTn
on 12/14/11 1:56 am - Oak Ridge, TN
It really depends on which surgery you are having on what you'd need to cook. With the DS (what I had) we are encouraged to eat fattier stuff, not low fat, since we malabsorb so much. You'd need a Paula Deen cookbook for us, lol! Butter butter everywhere!

~Kelly ~   
SW 364/CW 164/GW 150             

Most Active
Recent Topics