Please someone help me i think i'm losing it!

twiggins
on 4/5/11 9:58 am - TN
I WILL BE HAVING SURGERY APRIL 13TH AND I FEEL LIKE I AM READY FOR THIS IN SOME WAYS BUT I HAVE BEEN ON A STRICT LIQUID DIET SINCE LAST THURSDAY AND WILL CONTINUE TO MY SURGERY AND THENAFTER THAT I HAVE 4 MORE WEEKS OF LIQUID AND THE BAD PART IS I CAN'T STAND  THE PROTEIN SHAKES BECAUSE THEY SEEM SO SWEET AND THEY MAKE ME WANT GAG! I MEAN REALLY GAG! ANDTHEN I HAVE FOUR MORE WEEKS AFTER SURGERY TO DRINK THEM I HAVE TRIED UNJURY AND SYNTRAX AND EAS NOTHING IS WORKING I WISH THERE WAS A UNFLAVORED THAT I COULDNT TATSE:{ WHAT AM I GONNA DO I CANT STAND ANY KIND OF BROTH AND I CAN'T JUST GIVE UPSURGERY BECAUSE I CANT STAND THE PROTEIN DRINKS PLEASE SOMEONE GIVE ME SOME KIND OF SUGGESTION I AM BEGGING!
* 2 Blessed 2 be Stressed*
stephf
on 4/5/11 10:01 am - CA
VSG on 03/29/11 with
unjury makes an unflavored protien so does bariactric advantage.  maybe your local vitamin shop carries unflovored protien drinks/powder.  im going to get some unflavored because Im not diging the sweet protien either.

good luck!! see if your doctor has samples of them too

HW 288  PRE OP WEIGHT  249/ SW241/ CW 146.8     

sportsmom3
on 4/5/11 10:13 am - Battle Creek, MI
I feel sorry for you having to do such a long time on liquids.  One thing to remember...your tastes will most likely change after surgery.  What you are not tolerating now, you might then.  And if you find something you like now, you might not like it afterwards.  The only protein powder that I have found and liked (love) is from Unjury - Chocolate Splendor.   I've heard that Nectar is pretty good, but I haven't tried them.  For the pre & post op diet I had to do, I had to buy direct from my surgeon's office.  Good luck and keep looking!! 

HW 340; SW 304
Jenijeni
on 4/5/11 10:38 am
If the chocolate seems too sweet, you can add cocoa powder to make it less sweet, more bittersweet and more chocolatey. Another thing you can do is to blend with ice and add peanut butter or PB2. that also cuts the sweetness. Good luck, honey!

HW: 250 SW: 224 GW: 135 CW: 124

thisbe777
on 4/5/11 10:51 am
unjury also makes a chicken soup flavor that is really good....  have you tried miso soup?  most health food stores have different kinds of miso paste that you can mix with ho****er...   i like the red, but there are other kinds that are very mild-flavored...

this may have to be a "mind over matter" thing for you...  you think it will taste nasty, so it does....  doctor them up, do what you have to do to mask or change the flavor....  i detest artificial sweeteners, but i tolerate them in some things because i have to...    you can do this if you want it bad enough... 

jeris

To live would be an awfully big adventure -- Peter Pan

(deactivated member)
on 4/5/11 1:23 pm - CA
 I had some horrid issues with protein shakes after surgery, took me 3 or 4 days to figure it out. I cannot do super sweet things either, and also found out that milk is not agreeing with me. I switched to Unjury with crystal light and it is perfect! I can mix it to my own sweetness level (just don't add the whole packet), I throw in a little ice and shake it up. Works amazingly well for me at this point! Worth a shot :)

karoola
on 4/5/11 2:44 pm
VSG on 10/01/10 with
Unflavored doesn't mean no taste. It means no flavors added.  It still has a protein taste.

You can add sugar free syrups to your protein drinks to change the flavors.

I found that my tastes did change after surgery and I liked some I had not before.

I have my days where nothing tastes good, but I need to get my protein in.  I knew going into this that I probably would never like the shakes. BUT they are a fact of life until I can eat enough to get my protein in from food.  So I just suck it up and take a mint afterwards.

You can do this...

Liquid Diet       : 330 Day of Surgery : 302 - my scale Goal                   : 160
(deactivated member)
on 4/5/11 2:55 pm
I am going threw the same thing. I hate the protein shakes. The nut told me which ones I could drink it would not have mattered I put mine on ice and still want to gag and the vanilla is not that bad I just have had enough of them I have one more week to go.I have to suck a popsicle after because it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. The chicken broth is ok and that is just for a minute. Just hang in there know you are not alone. Accordin to my food chart after surgery I have a bigger and better selection.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 281 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 335 views