Anyone else more prone to illness after VSG

SassyItalian
on 4/7/11 10:39 am - Basseterre, St. Kitts and Nevis
I find myself picking up any germs my family has- I rarely got sick before surgery and now I have been sick a few times since surgery. I know I am not 100% since surgery and imagine my immune system is still a little compromised...

I also get sicker it seems if I do end up getting ill, like down for the count, in bed, sleep for 12 hours sick.

Anyone else notice this after surgery?

HW: 258lbs  SW: 240   CW: 140  I am 5 foot 7 and 30 years old               
                 VSG 12/21/10  Plastics: Tummy tuck, breast lift, and augmentation 11/3/11
                                             Soon to be veterinarian!! xoxo

sleeve genie
on 4/7/11 10:41 am - Alhambra, CA
Hey Sassy, i find just the opposite,  i haven't been sick once since my surgery.  I got sick a few times a year before i had the surgery.  Hopefully it will get better for you  :o) Jeani
      the start of my brand new life was on 5/28/10

aka  jeaniwantsasleeve!!                  

mwall81
on 4/7/11 10:42 am - MI
 This is a normal occurence after having a surgery. Your immune system has been compromised due to the surgery, as well as the type of surgery you had (WLS).  Your body is still in an adjustment phase.  If your taking a childrens chewable vitamine, try one with an immune support additive.  Remember, this was actually a major surgery that you had, and your body needs time to heal and adjust to the new life style your living!!
Live like your dieing, love like you've never been hurt, dance like no one is watching.

Kelby F.
on 4/7/11 10:42 am - Minot, ND
 PICK ME SASSY!! PICK ME!!!

My norm was to get a cold in the in the fall to winter transition and then again from winter to spring... Ever since surgery I keep getting little mini colds that don't really amount to much, but are a pain in my ass!!

Part of me just wants to get good and sick.. as bad as that sounds... and get if over with!!

~Kelby~       HW: 356 SW: 330 CW:231 GW: 175 I'm 5'6"

"Success means having the courage, the determination, and the will to become the person you believe you were meant to be."

(deactivated member)
on 4/7/11 10:47 am
 I am sorry you are struggling with this, it can't be much fun.   For some strange reason, my experience has been the complete opposite.  I used to get sick all the time but, knock on wood, I haven't been sick one time since surgery almost two years ego.  I think it has to do with eating much better than I did before surgery, but I am not sure.
SassyItalian
on 4/7/11 10:51 am - Basseterre, St. Kitts and Nevis
LOL Kelby

I guess its just another one of those things that goes to show no 2 VSG experiences are alike...

HW: 258lbs  SW: 240   CW: 140  I am 5 foot 7 and 30 years old               
                 VSG 12/21/10  Plastics: Tummy tuck, breast lift, and augmentation 11/3/11
                                             Soon to be veterinarian!! xoxo

Kelby F.
on 4/7/11 10:56 am - Minot, ND
 Amen to that!!!! 

~Kelby~       HW: 356 SW: 330 CW:231 GW: 175 I'm 5'6"

"Success means having the courage, the determination, and the will to become the person you believe you were meant to be."

JustLora
on 4/7/11 10:56 am - Omaha, NE
I'm just the opposite. 
I've had a couple of very minor colds, and they were over rather quickly. If anything I feel like I'm healthier.
Lora

SW 235/GW 150/CW 140   I'm 5'6" 

babzmcgee
on 4/7/11 11:12 am
 Have you recently started to exercise? I read an article a few months ago that said when you begin an exercise regimen it temporarily weakens your immune system. I got 2 colds back to back within the first month of starting an exercise program. Once my body got used to the exercising I haven't had a cold since.
OH Support Group Leader

Stacy160
on 4/7/11 12:27 pm
I've been the opposite, too.... can't remember whether I even got a cold last year, but I don't think so.  This year, two or three times I've felt that "Oh no, I'm getting a cold feeling" (irritated and swollen feeling at the back of the throat and sinuses), only to have it disappear within a few hours.  So yay!

HW 258    SW 246.4    CW 166.8 GW 160    
                     (reflects loss from all-time high weight in November 2009)
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 92 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 316 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 363 views