What % of your EW did you end up losing?

SpyCbyN8re
on 4/20/11 6:13 am - Lehigh Acres, FL
A few months ago I was at my surgeon's office and he was spouting off %'s of EW (excess weight) that people generally lose.  65-85% is what he was saying is the norm. 

I got to thinking that although losing 65% of my EW would be nice and it would make me happy, it's not enough.  I have 165lbs to lose to get to a "normal bmi".  I realize he has to give me the percentages and I get that he doesn't want to say "I expect you to lose 100% of your excess weight."  I mean get WHY he had to give me the percentages.... but it led me to wonder.....

For all of those that feel they're at their goal..... for all of you on maintenance.... in the "end" how much of your EW (percentage wise) did you end up losing?

From what I understand, EW is calculated the weight you begain at minus the weight you'd need to be at to be a bmi of "normal weight".   When I asked my surgeon he said you use the weight that gets you to the highest BMI range.

For me that is 165lbs of excess weight.  Losing 65% of that would be 107lbs leaving me sitting at 218lbs.  That is purely unacceptable to me.  I will fight with every fiber of my being to get below that 200 mark that has eluded me since I was 5 months pregnant and 18 years old.  65% is just not enough to me.  If I have my way, I'll lose 100% of my EW and I'm willing to fight to get there. 

Just my thoughts, I'd love to hear what % of EW you lost.  

Ginger
godknowsican
on 4/20/11 6:18 am - MD
excellent question - I'm looking forward to the responses.

SpyCbyN8re
on 4/20/11 6:28 am - Lehigh Acres, FL
LOVE your handle!! God knows I can too!! :)  Looking forward to polishing his temple up a bit and making it what HE has wanted all along.  No more dumping nasty food into it and degrading it slowly day by day.  :)  

Let's sit back and see who else responds!! 

Ginger
mynewlife_75
on 4/20/11 6:23 am - Grants Pass, OR
I am not at goal or maintenance but I am 5 months out and have lost 58% of my EW and still losing steadily.
My Weight Loss Blog http://tiasnewlife.blogspot.com

SpyCbyN8re
on 4/20/11 6:32 am - Lehigh Acres, FL
58% in 5 months... you're gonna get WAY beyond 65... you'll probably even hit 100%!!!  Goooooood job!! Can't wait to watch you succeed!! :) 

When you set your goal, did you use a normal BMI as the goal or did you use a weight you were at previously and felt comfortable at?  If neither of those, how did you set it for yourself?

My goal of 160 is something I was NEVER at as an adult and don't remember being at that weight ever.  It's the highest BMI for "normal" at my height (5'7").  If I'm 161 then I'm still considered overweight.  When I get to 160 I'll be considered a  normal bmi for the first time in my adult life.

George B.
on 4/20/11 6:29 am - Miami, FL
I lost 100% of my EW and have maintained without a lot of effort. 

My EW was calculated to the point where my BMI was in the normal range. With the sleeve I truly believe you can lose what you want. It depends on you, how well you follow the program your doctor gives you and if you exercise.

I didn't join a gym but I did get active, buy a bike, fire the lawn service and got myself moving.

Follow the program, limit carbs and slider foods, get active and you can lose 100% of your EW.

Good luck,
George

SpyCbyN8re
on 4/20/11 6:39 am - Lehigh Acres, FL
Hearing stories and experiences like yours, makes me KNOW I can do this!! Such an inspiration!!!

I believe I CAN do this.  I don't want to "settle" for 65% or even 85%.  I want 100% sooooo bad that I know I can do this.  I don't care about size I'm in and I don't care about the actual number (weight) I'm at.... what I care about is the fact that I want my BMI to be considered normal and to FEEL good about myself.

I want to run with my kids and not feel like I'm going to die. 
I want to run my kids around the amusement park and ride EVERY ride without wondering if I'll fit in the ride. 
I want to ride a bike for the FIRST time in my LIFE!! Yes, my mother was crazy and never allowed us out of the house when we were kids.  She was EXTREMELY paranoid.  I want to learn to ride a bike... and I will. 

There will be absolutely no "no's" allowed or accepted. 
I want to run a 5K and then work my way up from there.
I want this so bad..... and it's MY time to do it.  This is MY time to shine.  

Now, if the insurance company will approve my surgery, I'll get my chance to fly!!! 
SpyCbyN8re
on 4/20/11 6:48 am - Lehigh Acres, FL
Oh, one more thing.....
I was upset when I heard I had to wait 6 months for a supervised diet and then when I heard it would actually be 8 months because my husband had to be with that insurance co. for a year before they'd cover it.... I was upset.  I threw a bit of a fit (spoiled brat kind).  Irritated I had to do it.  But boy, once I got over the stupid upset and really started reading on here and really uncovering WHY I was 350lbs at one point and WHY I had ALLOWED myself to get there......

I took a good cold hard look at myself and discovered some nasty little secrets.  Sow hen you mention slider foods.... it makes me think of trigger foods.  A year ago, I never thought about it, never gave it a second though.  But over these last 8 months I have had to really look my demons in the eyes and I am sooooooooo grateful that I had these 8 months.  I know my trigger foods, I know what foods I will have to avoid COMPLETELY.  I've really discovered who I am..... and that was necessary, I believe, in order for this to really be effective.  I can't wait to get started!!
Nicki88
on 4/20/11 8:01 am
On April 20, 2011 at 1:39 PM Pacific Time, SpyCbyN8re wrote:
Hearing stories and experiences like yours, makes me KNOW I can do this!! Such an inspiration!!!

I believe I CAN do this.  I don't want to "settle" for 65% or even 85%.  I want 100% sooooo bad that I know I can do this.  I don't care about size I'm in and I don't care about the actual number (weight) I'm at.... what I care about is the fact that I want my BMI to be considered normal and to FEEL good about myself.

I want to run with my kids and not feel like I'm going to die. 
I want to run my kids around the amusement park and ride EVERY ride without wondering if I'll fit in the ride. 
I want to ride a bike for the FIRST time in my LIFE!! Yes, my mother was crazy and never allowed us out of the house when we were kids.  She was EXTREMELY paranoid.  I want to learn to ride a bike... and I will. 

There will be absolutely no "no's" allowed or accepted. 
I want to run a 5K and then work my way up from there.
I want this so bad..... and it's MY time to do it.  This is MY time to shine.  

Now, if the insurance company will approve my surgery, I'll get my chance to fly!!! 
Wow can I relate!  This is exactly why I am doing this! 
Surgery Date: 4/27/11 Dr. Aceves
VeraG
on 4/20/11 6:31 am - Bonner Springs, KS
So far, 92% and counting.

Living until I die!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 90 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 311 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op