cigarette smokers

(deactivated member)
on 4/21/11 9:07 am - Underwood, ND
I smoked one the night before surgery and not again until 2 weeks out.  I'm a sporatic smoker, not often and not regular, but I enjoy one sometimes,
May D.
on 4/21/11 10:21 am
I'm also an ex smoker and understand what you're going through, but if it helps you any I quit smoking 3 years ago.  I went to the doctor and asked for Chantix and she gave it to me.  I know not everyone can use it.  I  started it a week later and not only have I NOT touched a cigarette, I haven't even had a puff, don't care for them anymore and if I smell one I get nauseous.  I make my husband smoke outside or in the basement.  

For the sake of your health, please try to stop.
MediumSoon
on 4/21/11 10:32 am - TX
I quit almost 4 years ago with no problem. You CAN do it! Ask your doctor for Chantix - it's a miracle!!! Please do not risk your health by smoking before or after this surgery - it's dangerous.

momstephanie
on 4/21/11 11:28 am - GA
If I can do you can do it. It is hard as hell but you will be soooo happy once it is over with. I cussed out everyone in my family cried  scream even thought about kicking the dog. But I did it. You can as well. Set ur mind that you are getting healthy by losing weight why would you want to continue to smoke? I smoked for 24 years a pack a day never quit before didnt even want to quit. I am telling you it will be worth it you will heal quicker and be soooo happy you did.

PS I do still want one every once in a while the thought goes into my mind then goes right back out. I think it is the cig devil!!! LOL
Shame is the lie someone told you about yourself." Anais Nin
"Nothing Taste as good as thin feels" unk

Elaine H.
on 4/21/11 2:33 pm
I used the E-cigarette to quit. I smoked 49 years, 3 packs a day. I decided I wanted to feel better and quit. My doctor requires 8 weeks smoke free before surgery. Good luck to you qiutting.
charmaine A.
on 4/21/11 5:33 pm - MI
well my doctor said i had to quit smoking a month before surgery and i lied.. i went into surgery thinking I would be fine, well i woke up in recovery not being able to breathe..the nurses and the doctor kept asking if i was smoking and i kept saying no..until one nurse came over and said sweetie if you were smoking please tell us so we know why your having breathing trouble...honestly i would not smoke and it was the worst mistake i ever made...It was the worst feeling not being able to breathe and you do not want to do that to yourself..Good luck.

Best of Luck, Charmaine

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 137 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 401 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 428 views