cigarette smokers

sonyagettinghealthy
on 4/21/11 6:00 am - CA
Well forgive me everyone for being weak but I am so struggling with not smoking before surgery. I KNOW i cant smoke after my surgery because it causes ulcers and I am dedicated to not smoking once my surgery is done but I'm having the toughest time not smoking beforehand. Anyone else go through this prior to surgery or have a outcome changed by smoking before surgery?
MaryKate777
on 4/21/11 6:09 am - WA
PLEASE do not smoke, before or afterwards! I just heard about a patient last night that smoked and drank the first week after surgery; SHE DIED!!! Please don't do it. I used to be a smoker and totally understand the addiction. It's hard to manage but your life is WAY more important.

Blessings-

Mary Kate
sonyagettinghealthy
on 4/21/11 6:21 am - CA
Thanks Mary Kate.
Jeep1974
on 4/21/11 6:51 am - MI
When is your surgery? I would think that the dr would make sure you were quit for a while before doin surgery. Do you have time to take Chantix or go through a quit program?

FreeJulie
on 4/21/11 7:15 am - WA
I quit 10/16/10 and had the surgery 1/11/11. I made it my condition on myself to allow myself to have the surgery. Like you, I didn't want to battle the urge to smoke after surgery. And I haven't. :)

Good luck to you - you can do it. It sucks, I know. Just do it.
Julie, 5' 3", age 42. Starting weight: 263, Surgery weight: 255
Blogging at www.freejulie.blogspot.com        
cyd000
on 4/21/11 7:24 am - Vancouver, WA
I agree.  I think the last thing you need is to go through is nicotene withdrawal while recovering.  Not to mention that it takes a while for your body to flush all that cigarette crap out of your system.  It really is better for healing and your heart if you quit well before surgery rather then waiting until the day of.

HW: 267, 5'3", 37 years old
Pre-op - 13lbs lost
Month 1 - 17lbs lost
Month 2 - 11lbs lost
Month 3 - 3lbs lost
Month 4 - 8lbs lost
Month 5 - 4lbs lost
Month 6 - 5lbs lost
Month 7 - 4lbs lost
MS.LISA
on 4/21/11 7:27 am - Salem, OR
I have been a smoker for 31 yrs, I stoped a month before surgery and I havent picked up a cig since, its been 6 months now! So if I can do it, then anyone can do it!!!
im glad I did cause I wouldnt be able to exercise and I feel soooo much better being able to breath...
It wasnt easy but it does get better, now I just dont think about it no more..
Good luck to you!!!

chadhat
on 4/21/11 8:13 am - WA
Question - never smoked but one of those people who may have a hand ful of cigars a year.  Have not had one since surgery - but if I did would that be harmful (again cannot stand cigarettes, but my cigar is one of those once in a blue moon things)
TC
Kirkland WA
kaapuni
on 4/21/11 8:19 am - San Francisco, CA
i am a smoker. i quit like 1 day before surgery and then started like a week after surgery. i had read that quitting abruptly was actually worse for you because your body would freak out. i dont know. everything went just fine.

Monica W.
on 4/21/11 8:36 am - TX
I've smoked for 16 years, I had a cigarette at 4 a.m. then another when we landed in CA at 11:30 a.m. had surgery at 8:30 p.m. and didn't smoke again till 2 weeks later, to be honest i didn't want a cigarette.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 92 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 314 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 362 views