Cheese Crisps???

kanga003
on 4/22/11 11:02 am
Ashleyxx
on 4/22/11 11:13 am, edited 4/22/11 11:15 am - Detroit, MI
I use to make these all the time when I did low carb. You need real American cheese not the kraft kind in the plastic wrap, cut them in thin sliced squares put them on wax paper and nuke them in the microwave, I cook my extra long so they are crispy and almost taste like a cheese nip without all the salt! You can try other cheeses too!
Jenijeni
on 4/22/11 11:21 am
My favorites are cheddar and Parmesan... If you get cheese cubes at grocery and put them on parchment in the microwave, it takes about 1 to1 1/2 minutes to get em crispy! Have to use parchment or they stick. If you're using Parmesan, you need the fancy shredded stuff, not the powdery stuff. Parmesan turns brown when it's done and are delicious!

HW: 250 SW: 224 GW: 135 CW: 124

emelar
on 4/22/11 11:53 am - TX
I've never made them in the microwave, but I make them in the oven all the time.  You can use any shredded cheese - personally, I love cheddar.  You also need parchment paper or they'll stick to your cooking sheet.  Anyway, put parchment paper on your cookie sheet/pizza pan, and then make mounds of cheese in whatever size you like.  You can also add flavor by sprinking with onion powder, garlic powder, taco seasoning, etc.  Just don't add salt 'cause the cheese is already salty enough.  Bake at 350 degrees for around 7 minutes or until the edges brown.  If you want them chewier, bake less time; for crisp, bake longer.  Take out of oven and enjoy!

Or, you can buy "Just the Cheese" cheese crisps from amazon.  Pricier, but they come in nice litted half oz bags and are a lot easier to carry around as a snack or emergency food.
farewell2fat
on 4/22/11 12:40 pm - Apopka, FL
Emelar, there are a bunch of different varieties of the "Just the Cheese" crisps..which one's are you referring to? I'm interested..thanks!

emelar
on 4/22/11 1:12 pm - TX
My fav is the Crunchy Baked Cheese/Wisconsin Cheddar.  I just bought a box of the cheese pops, but I haven't tried them yet.  I've had the other flavors of the basic version and they're all good, but the plain Wisconsin cheddar tastes best to me!

http://www.amazon.com/Just-Cheese-Wisconsin-Cheddar-0-5-Ounce/dp/B000IHNCQO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1303528290&sr=8-3

Ashley S.
on 4/22/11 12:47 pm
VSG on 05/04/10 with
I'm really going to have to try these.  I see them being made all the time on Food Network (usually to put in salads and stuff).  We always have shredded cheese in the house.  They always look so yummy!
-Ash

Heaviest Weight: 365, Surgery Weight: 327, Current Weight:  146.9
Twitter:   http://twitter.com/#!/AshLYMMJ

Momager
on 4/22/11 1:14 pm
I make these using shredded Parmesean-Reggiano that I buy from the deli of the grocery store. I bake small mounds of the cheese at 375 degrees for about 6-8 minutes (depending on size of mounds). Let them cool, then enjoy! They're fabulous!!!

loolootoo
on 4/22/11 1:53 pm
i make my own.   shredded cheese into a non-stick skillit on medium hi heat.  flip when bubbly....cooks very quickly but the longer it cooks the crispier the cheese gets.  then i slice it with a pizza cutter into wedges.  great plain or with a dip.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 285 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 336 views