Uncontrolled pain, leak, need advice

cherubchic85
on 4/23/11 6:55 am
Hi guys, I need help! I got out of the hospital Thursday and was diagnosed with a chronic gastric leak (vie had it for 4 months ever since original surgery). Yesterday I started having SEVERE nausea, and heartburn.I called the dr office 6 times, and didn't get a call back till 5pm and it w as the dietician. She was really nice, and explained their nurse wa s out for the day, and that she had just text messages my surgeon telling him what was going on and asked him to call me right away. Well, I never got a call. Today nausea is much worse, ive thrown up 4 times total bile and then lots of dry heaving. Each time it happens, the pain in my left side becomes unbearable. Called the on call dr (resident) and told him what's up, and he said there is nothing they can do for me. He said I can come to the er for iv pain and nausea meds, but it will be a waste of time. He said there is nothing more they can do for me surgically. So then I asked if I could try a different anti nausea med(I'm already on zofran and phenergan. He said ok and wrote for compazine (pharmacy is all out of it till Monday, and I looked around). They refuse to change my pain medicine, so I have to sit here in lots and tons of pain, and dry heaving everywhere. I see another dr on Thursday for another opinion, but I don't know if I can waait that long. Do you think if I went tovthat surgeons hospital, they would let me. See him? What would you do in my shoes?

MrsClaus09
on 4/23/11 7:01 am
At this point, I would likely go to an ER at a different hospital.  So, if the doctor you're seeing on Thursday is at a different hospital that your original surgeon, then yes, I would go to the ER at that hospital.  Good luck to you!
My journey:   http://abowlfullofjelly.blogspot.com/ w/ March 2011 Sleevers List
"Sleeve Santa Sleeve!"

HW: 309 ~ PreOpW: 306 ~ SW: 293 ~ CW: 184  
evilelf
I am so sorry to hear about your whole experiance. I would go to that surgeon and asked it this was you or one of your family members in all of this pain what would you do. That's bull**** that they keep acting like "oh well". I know that you are tired and sick but get in their face. I hope you are feeling better soon. God bless you.
mimikay
Yes - go to the other hospital. Make sure they get your full history. Hope someone can help you out soon.
  Kay       HW 219/SW 212/CW 134              
MediumSoon
on 4/23/11 7:03 am - TX
I think I agree. Yes - the one hospital has your records, etc. But maybe fresh eyes at this point are in order. There is NO reason you should have to be in that kind of pain. And - who knows what's causing that pain - it could be something ELSE.

(deactivated member)
on 4/23/11 7:08 am
VSG on 03/14/11 with
The ER got me a morphine IV and a strong pain med (much stronger!). So, at the very least, go for that. Just be very firm with them - they need to know you just can't take it.

So very sorry this has turned out so badly for you. Try to keep us posted.
chinasl45
on 4/23/11 7:12 am - Harrisburg, PA
I dont know what state you live in but there has to be another hospital that does bariatric surgery somewhere within a 100 miles of you. Please go to the ER there to get another prospective. I am so so sorry that you are going through this ordeal.
PSW 268 and Height is 5'10, SW was 241.6, GW is 170, CW is 160   

Monica W.
on 4/23/11 7:21 am - TX

I am so sorry you are dealing with this. When did you start having the syptoms? Did you pass the initial leak test? This is a scarey thing, I had no idea this could happen this far out.

Carmelita
on 4/23/11 7:30 am - Four Corners, NM
Yeah I agree with EVERYONE ELSE....go to that surgeons hospital!

They'll be able to access yer records...on computer.

Tell them what your surgeon has told you....

AS SOON AS YER ABLE...PLEASE FIND A MALPRACTICE LAWYER...
its not that ya wound up with a LEAK...hey **** happens...but its this AFTERCARE and TOTAL
INACCESSIBLILTY that is LAWSUIT WORTHY! ya know the hippocratic oath n everything!
MediumSoon
on 4/23/11 7:55 am - TX
 I agree with Carmelita.  The level of care you have received post-op has been horrid (not that I needed to tell YOU that) - but there is no excuse for this.  

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 61 views