anyone get there protein from regular food

clthomp
on 4/29/11 1:49 pm - TN
I cant tolerate another shake and the atkins bars make my stomach hurt .....guess it is the sugar alochols   anyone achieve protein count with just normal food

cherrie
foodlover
on 4/29/11 1:53 pm
I do 1 isopue per day.  tastes like Gatorade.  :)  40 grams of protein.  Then it's easy to get the rest of the protein from food.  1 oz of meat has 7 grams of protein so I try to have that at each meal.  The isopure saved me becuase I to was SICK of shakes.  They have all kids of fruity flavors and it's much easier to drink and take with you.  good luck.
(deactivated member)
on 4/29/11 1:54 pm
I couldn't do it early out, but I haven't had a protein shake since about 3 months out.  I do eat dense protein at almost every meal to make it work.
KathyA999
on 4/29/11 1:59 pm
I'm nearly 9 months out, and I'm sorry to report that I still drink at least one shake a day, LOL.  I mix a scoop of Any Whey unflavored into either Diet Snapple (makes a funny color, like cafe au lait) or Crystal Lite, and I get 17 grams that way.  I use a mix bottle that's 24 oz, put in plenty of ice, and start in after breakfast.  It takes me till dinnertime to fini**** most days, but I get some liquid in that way too.  I'll probably do that for life.  The Any Whey isn't really unflavored, has a bit of a vanilla vibe, but it's fine.  Some days I have a Premier Protein from Costco in the late afternoon, or half a one - maybe 2-3 days a week.  I just can't eat enough food to get all my protein from food.

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

momokc
on 4/29/11 2:07 pm
 I do.  I got so sick and nauseated and got to where I almost couldn't walk from the car to my office when I was 4 weeks post op that I decided on my own to start eating solid foods.  I started eating  tuna fish 2 oz for a meal and nursed that can of tuna all day!  I did that for a couple of days to make sure it was going to make me sick.  Then I went to chicken same 2 oz serving no problems, then last Sunday, I bought some 93% lean hamburger meat and ate 2oz at a time several times that day. The next day, my legs felt like they had muscles again and I have not turned back since.  I am have much more energy, my legs are stonger each day, and I am glad I did what I needed to do.  You must understand first, that my body does not react the same as the average person's body does to most things. So, knowing that, I decided to try eating solid food when I did and I am not sorry that I did.  I will say, I have not lost but 1-2lbs a week since I did this so if you are looking for a fast weight loss may not be the best way to go.  

Best Wishes, 
Granny

(deactivated member)
on 4/29/11 2:13 pm - Germantown, MD
I get almost all my protein from food. I do have a smoothie in the morning but I've NEVER been a breakfast person so I have the smoothie to get something in since it's an important meal. If I liked breakfast (and I know, I know, you don't have to eat breakfast food for breakfast but it's something about eating at that time of day I have problems with), I'd probably get 100% of my protein from food now.
SassyItalian
on 4/29/11 2:17 pm - Basseterre, St. Kitts and Nevis
I am 4 months out and can now comfortably eat chicken breast and almost every meat so I do get my allotted amount daily from food, no shakes. I do eat small meals about 5-8 times a day. Usually from dijon chicken breast or light cheeses. It gets more doable as you get a bit further out.

1-1.5 oz of chicken breast fills me up something fierce so I eat several times a day, although my doc is ok with that, some doctors are not and require a stict 3 meals a day only plan. I couldnt get in all my protein from 3 meals a day unless one was a shake.

HW: 258lbs  SW: 240   CW: 140  I am 5 foot 7 and 30 years old               
                 VSG 12/21/10  Plastics: Tummy tuck, breast lift, and augmentation 11/3/11
                                             Soon to be veterinarian!! xoxo

Libralin
on 4/29/11 2:40 pm - MorrisCounty, NJ
I have been doing 3 meals a day like the doc said...If I am in a hurry I make a shake to drink on the way to work; Otherwise its cottage cheese..with something..or greek yogurt...Maybe Ill have an atkins bar around 10am. Lunch is usually at 12; I will either bring 2oz of turkey with Lite Laughing Cow..or Refried Beans..etc
Dinner; Sometimes a crab cake and spinach..or chicken with veggies; Or some kind of beef...For dessert...like 8-9pm..I will have a F/F pudding or fudgcicle

jbskaggs
on 4/29/11 2:51 pm - holt, MO
 I am five or six weeks out and I get all my protien from mormal food.  I also drink alot of skim milk.

Unlike mst of the people here who are probably smarter than me, I dont eat any of the diet stuff. Just normal food and avoiding carbs.   I cant stand the diet stuff- I have not found one diet thing I like except diet ice cream and special k chips.

I lose between a pound and half pound a day.

shekicks
on 4/29/11 9:30 pm - Dallas, GA
I have never been much of a shake drinker so I just sneak in protein when I can.  I start my morning with a protein coffee and now prefer it to regular coffee.  I take a couple of spoonfuls of vanilla protein powder, mix it real good in about an ounce of tap water until it is smooth.  Then I put one in instant decaf coffee, a squirt of agave nectar and some creamer then pour in boiling water.  It is a good way to start the day with some protein.  

I also put vanilla protein powder in oatmeal and sugarfree pudding.  You can also add in some powered milk to your regular skim milk to boost the protein.  Plus I love meat, especially steak and just chew it real good!  

Beverly 

5' 0"              HW-207 / SW-194 / CW-132/ GW-125             57 years old!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 89 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 303 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 349 views