What's with the surgery wipes?

MELMEL308
on 5/6/11 9:24 am - PA
Ok, so I am told I have to pick up surgery wipes the day before my surgery on the 16th.  I am to use them just as directed and I am told that I have to fully wipe my body day with these wipes the night before.  A girl in work who had the band told me they make you do it again in the pre op room.  WHATS UP WIT DAT??!!?
                            ~Melanie~
"Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a beautiful butterfly"                                       
(deactivated member)
on 5/6/11 9:30 am, edited 5/6/11 9:31 am

Getting rid of germs, I guess.  My surgeon gave me special liquid soap and told me to wash with it everywhere but my face when I showered the day before and the day of my surgery..
Smardeepants
on 5/6/11 11:06 am
This is what my surgeon does, too.

Don't have a date YET... but will see my surgeon for a consult 5/26.

julyxo84
on 5/6/11 9:59 am - Pembroke Pines, FL
 every doctor is different i guess.

i was given a liquid to use to wash my mid section.
 [ Hi, I'm stefanie, I'm 28 years old and 5'3'' ]

glendary
on 5/6/11 11:10 am
I also was given the liquid soap (by the hospital) and told to wash everywhere but my face the morning of surgery before I left home.
Glendary        
melanie L.
on 5/6/11 11:33 am
hmm, didnt have to do that, didnt have a drain after surgery and didnt have to do a 2 week liquid diet before surgery. every Dr is different...

cabcab
on 5/6/11 11:53 am
VSG on 01/06/11 with
I have never heard of that!  I've had at least ten surgeries in my life between several surgeries after a car accident and three laparoscopies (endometriosis, gallbladder and VSG.)  No one ever had me do any special cleansing.  I work in the medical field, although not in the OR.  I do assist in ultrasound guided breast biopsies though and we've never told anyone to wash their breast.

In the OR they wash off the area that needs to be clean with special soap - used to be iodine based, but now a lot of places are using non-iodine cleansing stuff.  Then they cover you up with sterile towels all except for the immediate area where they will be doing the surgery.

It's better to be overly safe, than sorry!!
    HW: 335.  SW: 318.  CW: 161.0.  Height 5'8.  Age 43.

(deactivated member)
on 5/6/11 12:06 pm
I was instructed to buy a presurgery liquid soap (walmart $6) and bathe with that, then before bed wipe down with the surgical wipes, then again the next morning before coming to the hospital.  I believe its an attempt to prevent infection during/after surgery.
Nurse_Audrey
on 5/6/11 12:18 pm - Houston, TX
the wipes are more then likely chlorhexadine wipes. they are meant to get rid of any bacteria that could enter during surgery. just like the soap. when you use them be sure to scrub the abdomen well including the belly button. you don't want any sneaky bacteria trying to get in. Good luck!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 78 views