About that gas

Could_It_Be
on 5/14/11 1:23 am
 I plan on asking my doc this at my final appointment on Monday but thought I'd ask you all as well...

So this gas that everyone has, is this intestinal gas (burp and poot) or is it from the gas they fill your abdomen with? It doesn't seem like if it's the gas used in your abdomen it's going to 'escape' via a poot or burp?

Any ideas?
(deactivated member)
on 5/14/11 1:44 am, edited 5/14/11 1:45 am - Newnan, GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with
That abdominal gas absorbs through your tissues to work its way out - so yea, it can be what makes folks be flatulant, but the pain is not from the gas in the intestines, its from the gas in the abdominal cavity and the only thing that is going to make it go away and stop the referred pain to your shoulder is walking. 

Dr. A burped me like my mama used to burp her waterbed  I was thankful to not have gas issues at all!
gator28fan
on 5/14/11 4:05 am, edited 5/14/11 4:05 am - Scott, LA
If you are asking about the left sided shoulder pain after surgery that some patient including myself felt....the pain is usually caused by the gas that is pumped into your stomach to expand the stomach area during surgery.  Gas rises so therefore it ends up in the shoulder area.  Not sure why it usually goes to the left side.  My advise is to walk as much as possible.  My shoulder pain subsided after my JP Drain was removed at my one week checkup.

Good luck with surgery.  I love my sleeve.  It has changed my life so much in the last year.

Marlene
HW:  440.6  SW: 401  CW: 281.6 GW:  170            
(deactivated member)
on 5/14/11 4:08 am - Newnan, GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with
This, just for curiosity's sake, helps to explain why the referred pain goes to your left shoulder.

http://anatomynotes.blogspot.com/2006/10/referred-pain.html

Nerves, nerves, nerves!
cabcab
on 5/14/11 5:42 am
VSG on 01/06/11 with
I didn't have any gas issues with my VSG.

However, when I had my laparoscopic gallbladder removal (14 years ago) the gas settled up in my right shoulder and it was awful.  It was way worse than the abdomen pain where my surgery was.  I kept getting the hiccups and every time I would hiccup it felt excrutiating in my shoulder.  I kept up my every four hour Demerol shots just for that.  But by the next morning it was gone.
    HW: 335.  SW: 318.  CW: 161.0.  Height 5'8.  Age 43.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 78 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 291 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 343 views