So Sick last night!

jennkitt
on 5/22/11 2:25 am - MI
I blame eggs!  I have had scrambled eggs and deviled eggs twice since surgery, but this week, no dice. I seriously wanted to die last night, it was like the stomach flu meets labor contractions and the worst nausea, I tried to make myself throw up, nothing came out!  So, I only got in like 1/4 of my water and protein for the day, it was just miserable.  Anyone else have this problem, especially after no problem prior?

Jenn
HW: 305, Consult: 285, Day of surg:261

mysticblue
on 5/22/11 2:29 am
You could say I was the vomit queen for my first 3 months after surgery. Everything made me sick (I found out later that it was my stomach not working). But I also learned to listen to the signals my body gives me. Before, I would think that if something was good one day, it would be again, but it is more than just what you eat - it is how you eat, what you have eaten before that and how much fluids you have in your system. By tracking you will start to see some trends that will help you avoid a night like that again. It is very rare that I get sick to my stomach now. Sometimes I will start eating, know it isn't going to go well, and I stop before any problems occur. It gets easier as you get further out.

Lori H.

bursonc
on 5/22/11 3:59 am
Please explain more:   "my stomach wasn't working".  Thanks.
mysticblue
on 5/22/11 7:15 am, edited 5/22/11 7:16 am
My surgeon explained it as stomach paralysis, which happens to some patients after a surgery with their stomach. Quite literally, the stomach stops functioning the way that it is supposed to. Therefore, whenever I ate, the food would just sit like a brick in my stomach and never move through my system.I even felt meals over 24 hours later still sitting there.  It actually felt like my food just sat in my stomach until it became too full and then I vomited, emptying my stomach. Many patients never have trouble with vomiting, but I vomited constantly. I also was unable to drink much water because it would fill my stomach and I would get sick again. For a while I thought I was eating too much so I kept trying to eat less or eat smaller bites, but it continued. My surgeon said this resolves with time and I was able to keep enough down to stay hydrated so I just kept going. Then one day, my stomach started working and I felt hunger for the first time since surgery. It was quite strange. But now all is well and I eat rather normally (my new smaller portion normal).

Hopefully that helps.

Lori H.
kalimamasmom
on 5/22/11 2:45 am
I had something similar happen last Friday.  I thought it was eggs, too, even though I had tolerated them before.  It ended up being a virus I got from my kids.  Had to go to the ER for fluids and better anti-nausea meds.  It lasted about 5 days.  The first 2 daysI did not eat, then I could eat, but was just nauseous.  And then finally, it went away!
Hope that's all it is for you, too.

catwalker
on 5/22/11 4:17 am - Buna, TX
I've always wondered if a stomach virus would be harder on us sleevers, so in your opinion was it?
jennkitt
on 5/22/11 9:55 am - MI
Thanks guys, I really think it was the eggs, it happened Monday too, after some scrambled with cheese, felt better 2-3 hours later.  Then again yesterday... should have learned the first time, but thought, "maybe I ate too much or too fast or too early in the morning...." nope, happened again.  Was better when I woke up this morning.  A real bummer because I love eggs, and have a lot of farm fresh ones..... ugh.

Jenn

HW: 305, Consult: 285, Day of surg:261

Most Active