Vitamins

Could_It_Be
on 6/14/11 10:39 am
 I'm pre-op so just taking regular multi and calcium + D.

What do you take after surgery? My doc said just anything chewable.

Suggestions?
Lalamonkey
on 6/14/11 10:57 am - GA
Before surgery I took only Fish Oil for Cholesterol and Vit D (have issues with it being low). 

For the first month I took chewable Bariatric Advantage - Multi - B12 (sublingual) -  Sugar free Tums for calcium 2 a day - Iron 2X a week for one month (middle aged with heavy periods and had one the week of surgery so I thought it was a good idea).

Now I take - My former multi vit (RAW) - B12 (sublingual) - 1 Fish Oil very small capsual (even though the cholesterol is good now), Tums 2 a day  for calcium, 2xmonth 5000mg Vit D and once in a while I take an iron - mostly because I have them and they taste good - probably won't purchase again unless labs show I am low.

Sorry I don't think I am much help....

Shari H.
on 6/14/11 11:11 am - MI
 My sleeve was done 6/6/11.  The surgeon asks us to take the following:

Chewable multivitamin with iron (2 per day) - I'm using Flintstone's Complete Chewables

1500 mg Calcium with D per day (broken up into doses no greater than 500 mg at a time) - I'm using GNC Chewable Calcium Plus 600 with Vitamin D-3

B-complex 100 (1 per day) - I started out using Nature's Answer Liquid Vitamin B-Complex, but couldn't get past the taste, no matter what I mixed it with.  So now I'm using GNC Big 100 tabs and cracking them in half and taking them seperately.

I think every surgeon is a little different in what they want you to take post-op.

Shari

LilySlim Weight loss tickers
FULL DISCLOSURE:  includes 31 lbs lost pre-op 
emelar
on 6/14/11 11:17 am - TX
A multi with 100% of the RDA of most nutrients.  Take two a day.  Stay away from kids' vitamins and gummy vitamins, because those will not have what you need.  Even though Flintstones says “complete" on the bottle, they really are not complete.  If you take a multi with no iron, you’ll need additional iron at a separate time. 

1500-2000 mg calcium citrate.  Make sure it's citrate, not carbonate. That means no Caltrate and no Viactiv and no TUMS.

18-27 mg iron for menstruating women, unless your labs show you need more.  (If you’re using a multi with no iron, that would mean you’d need at least 50 mg iron.)  We absorb carbonyl iron best.  Ferrous sulfate will also make you constipated.

B12.  You can use a sublingual, 350-500 mcg per day, a patch once a week, nasal spray once a week, or shots once a month.  Unless your labs show you need more.

Many people also need D3 so you should get your vitamin D level to find out if you do. 

jengo1971
on 6/14/11 1:45 pm
Wow, emelar, fantastic and thorough answer!  It amazes me how many wls pt's take the wrong vits.

hi there.  pleased to meet you.  ~jennifer                        
emelar
on 6/15/11 12:28 am - TX
I lifted the info from someone on the lapband board. 
Could_It_Be
on 6/14/11 12:09 pm
Thanks
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 106 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 334 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 384 views