Having to chose - help

glzgowlass
on 6/22/11 11:22 pm - VA
RNY on 09/14/11 with

I am in the middle of going through the requirements for bypass through Tricare insurance.  I think I would rather have the sleeve done, but Tricare doesn't cover it.  People have fought for years but Tricare is holding firm.

I discovered that the sleeve was available at military hospitals.  (hubby is retired navy)  So I can either proceed now and probably get bypass within a couple of months or....get a new referral to the military hospital for sleeve.

I spoke to the hospital and from start to fini**** takes about a year.  I really don't want to wait that long.  I lean toward sleeve becasue it doesnt' include rewiriing your insides - which to be truthful- ilks me out a bit.  Also, I wouldn't have dumping issues or malabsorption issues and the biggest reason is that I'm told that hunger does return with bypass eventually, but not with the sleeve.  I like the idea they remove the part of the stomach with ghrelin in it.

I guess I would like to ask people who have had bypass for more that 18 months how it felt when the hunger came back and how you handled it. 

This isn't a question of which is better because I think both are good options- I'm just trying to figure out which would be best for me.

regards to all
Chimere
on 6/22/11 11:34 pm, edited 6/22/11 11:35 pm
Hi hon, thats exactly why I choose the sleeve. I didnt like the idea of my guts being rearranged and all the stuff that goes along with bypass besides I am aweful at takeing pills.  It sucks haveing to wait a yr. Just if you go with the sleeve ask them how many they have preformed.  Waiting a yr might not be bad if their numbers are low

PaulaS
on 6/23/11 12:06 am - TX
I had VSG at Lackland AFB approximately 1 month after my initial seminar and consult.  
I had previously thought I could go the civilian route and had completed many tests and appointments, although I had to re-do some for them.    One of the requirements, 6 months supervised diet, had been completed about 1.5 years prior so that was a BIG help, timewise, too.

I have to say it was the best thing for me to have VSG where I did!    NO regrets!   Great Dr. and support staff!    

Highest weight, 248#
Surgery weight, 236#
Current weight, 138#
George B.
on 6/23/11 12:21 am - Miami, FL
I was sleeved almost 2 years ago, lost all my excess weight and have not been hungry. It's easy to lose weight when you're not hungry.  The reduction of ghrelin and limited capacity have changed the way I eat, what I eat and how much I eat. 

I could never have lost 127 pounds and kept it off effortlessly without the sleeve. Now I have to work at not losing more weight. Never thought I would have a problem with losing too much weight.

Insurance doesn't make it easy to get the sleeve but it's worth the trouble.

Good luck,
George

ssheaks
on 6/23/11 3:33 am - NY
I initially thought I was going to get the bypass because of insurance also. My wife had the bypass about a year and a half ago and she has no dumping and is not hungry. Dumping is a possibility with all the WLS. I got lucky and my insurance company started approving the sleeve 1 week before my surgery and my surgeons office pushed me through because they knew it was my first choice.  There are a lot of misconceptions about the bypass out there. I would have been just fine if I had to go the bypass route. I know people who have had the sleeve and their hunger returned within 6 months after their surgery. It just goes to show you that everyone is different and we all react differently to each surgery. Both surgeries are great options and you have to do the one that is best for you. If it was me I would not wait 1 year just to get the sleeve if I could do the bypass faster. I hope some of this info helps. I do have a personal knowledge on both of the surgeries.

Good luck with your decision

Steven

glzgowlass
on 6/23/11 7:07 am - VA
RNY on 09/14/11 with
Thanks to all.  Lots of different experiences give me much to think about.  I have to think about it some more before I make a final decision.  It occured to me after reading one post on another board that I may not have to wait a year because I have already done a lot of the things required. 
I'll read up some more and try and figure out what is best for me.

Regards,
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 71 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 264 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 327 views