Sore throat, post-op

jennyfur76
on 6/25/11 12:53 pm - OH
VSG on 06/21/11 with
So, my surgery was Tuesday. My throat has been a little sore since (from the intubation obviously). However, I just can't seem to find anything to satisfy/get rid of my throat tickle? I'm on full-liquids, so have been drinking choc shakes, water, Propel, had a little jello and a little pudding. I also had 1/2 a s/f popcicle last night. For some reason, my throat is itchy and I keep coughing. I've even coughed a few times hard enough to make me gag.  Haven't ralphed yet, but it's been close.

I even sucked on 1/2 of a cough drop last night before bed, but I'm not sure what else would be safe. I don't wanna take a cough suppresant in case it would irritate my new sleevie.

Any suggestions?
Thanks!!
Jen

Sandy S.
on 6/25/11 1:04 pm
my surgeon sent me home with a throat spray.  It helped a lot,  but I coughed up phlegm for  several days too.  Tonsils still feel swollen.  SF popcicles and Ilaian Ice feel the best to me

"Step by step the longest march can be won,"  Sweet Honey and the Rock- Peace, San  HW 463 Surgery: 6/13/11; SW 413      
emelar
on 6/25/11 1:06 pm - TX
They gave me a generic chloraseptic spray in the hospital for my throat.  Really helped and didn't upset my stomach.
its4maya
on 6/25/11 1:07 pm - Cypress, CA
My RN in the hospital told me that the sore throat will disappear in time with plenty of water, but yours sounds a little above normal. I gargle with a mouthwash called Peroxyl, sold on the toothpaste aisle, and that is minty like a mouthwash but has some peroxide in it too. Gargling with warm water and peroxide works too. Sounds yuck but I'm a school teacher and I never have a single sore throat all year long.
Good luck!

Paul11011
on 6/25/11 2:43 pm
The throat tickle is perfectly normal and I would not be surprised if it last for 7-10 days.  Keep focusing on getting in enough water and the tickle will go away. 
VSG 1-10-2011 Dr. Randal Baker.   www.grandhealthpartners.com

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 86 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 298 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 346 views