Will Sleeve Stretch

megamommy
on 7/2/11 1:19 pm
Getting ready for surgery in September. One of my fears is the sleeve will stretch if I eat to much causing a regain. I read on here from a couple people it wont stretch just bad choices cause regain. I find this hard to believe so whats the truth?
msleesa
on 7/2/11 1:22 pm
 Yes, once your sleeve is healed it can re stretch. I've read that in rare cases people need to get re sleeved. Don't think negative. You won't over eat. You'll feel full from small amounts of food anyway. You just have to stay motivated and make healthy choices, and stick to your diet. 
George B.
on 7/2/11 1:31 pm - Miami, FL
As the stomach heals your capacity will grow but tht doesn't mean your stomach has stretched. When I asked my surgeon about stretching he advised and showed me on slides that the part of the stomach left behind is the hard muscle and it will not stretch much even after a long time. He said you would have to over eat to the point of pain and throwing up repeatedly for months before the sleeve would stretch. Most people would not endure this level of pain.

Most regain with the sleeve is the result of people going back to bad eating habit and eating tons of carbs. Carbs are most often slider foods and you can eat a lot of them before you feel restriction. Even with the sleeve we have to make intelligent food choices.

MediumSoon
on 7/2/11 1:23 pm - TX
I can't speak to physical stretching but you WILL eventually be able to eat more than 3-4 ounces at a time. But nowhere NEAR what you were able to eat before. If you read posts from vets (those who have been maintaining for 1+ years) you will see that they each still pay VERY close attention to what they eat, as well as how much. Most (if not all) still pre-measure their foods and log what they consume to some extent. You CAN regain - with ANY surgery - but the choice is yours. You choose what you put in your mouth and how much you move. You CAN do it - but you DO have to work at it - from the beginning to forever.

George B.
on 7/2/11 1:25 pm - Miami, FL
The part of the stomach left behind is the hard muscle and it will not stretch much even after a long time. My doctor said you would have to over eat to the point of pain and throwing up repeatedly for months before the sleeve would stretch.

When you over eat with the sleeve you foam/throw up and feel terrible for 30-60 minutes. This alone is enough to make you recignize your full point and stop eating.

Beacuse of the restriction your body will tell you and give you signals that you're getting full. Don't listen and the foaming starts. When you throw up the food doesn't always come up what you get is a thick mucus and your mouth waters/foams. Not a pleasant experience.

I eat very little and I'm completely satisfied. It's what I love about the sleeve.

Good luck,
George

heathermc44
on 7/2/11 2:10 pm - Bremerton, WA
I really needed to hear this tonight because earlier I was freaking out.  I ate some chicken and a little mac n cheese.  I didn't think I had over eaten, I ate slowly, chewed well and stopped when I felt full.  However, shortly after I became terribly uncomfortable.  I kept trying to throw up but nothing would happen.  I walked around my house for a while and still felt horrible.  I finally laid down and fell asleep for a bit, then woke up and felt so much better.  That was so weird as I've never had something like that happen before.  I honestly did nto think I had eaten too much, but obviously I had.

George B.
on 7/2/11 2:17 pm - Miami, FL
I went through the exact same experience. With me it was also the chicken. I'm not sure if I ate too much or if the chicken was too dry. I still have trouble with chicken not agreeing with my sleeve and do not eat chicken that often. I do better with beef and seafood.

Walking helps. The first time this happened to me it lasted an hour. I was more careful eating since I didn't want to go through that experience again, though I have.

Heleena33
on 7/2/11 2:22 pm - Custer, WA
Maybe it was the pasta!
According to my nutritionist pasta may not be tolerable ever.
Which is fine with me, I never ate any of it anyway.

JULY 11, 2011 MY New Live Began    HW 295   SURG WT 266   GOAL 145
My ticker represents lbs lost from time of surgery .....after liquid IV's were gone!      

George B.
on 7/2/11 3:02 pm - Miami, FL
I've also given up pasta, rice and potato. I don't miss them.

Heleena33
on 7/2/11 3:47 pm - Custer, WA
Those were the other two things rice and potato !
Also, some have problems with bread too.!  Fine with me
I don't eat bread anyway!

JULY 11, 2011 MY New Live Began    HW 295   SURG WT 266   GOAL 145
My ticker represents lbs lost from time of surgery .....after liquid IV's were gone!      

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 68 views