No more surgery.

roundater
on 7/6/11 8:01 pm - Lincoln, NE
Sorry to hear of your setback. Do what is best for you and keep after it and eventually you will get it. It is worth the wait. Hugs and prayers for you and keep us posted on how you are doing.
Rich Sonderegger

frisco
on 7/6/11 9:38 pm

OK girl.....

Here is the low down......

Your young.....some of us waited many, many more years and wasted a lot of years being fat and not getting full life experiences because our weight held us back......you my friend are way ahead of the curve!

Although it sounds like you have been going through an emotional roller coaster...... your postponement is probably for the best.

Are you wrong for choosing Dr. Kelly in Mexico.....probably not. If I were to even consider Mexico I would have looked at Dr. Aceves or Dr. Alverez. That's just me from being on this forum for that last two years.

Going to Mexico does add a few more things that "may" be a concern. Aftercare....none. If you have any complications......most likely your in the States in an American Hospital with Doctors not wanting to work with you. (hey people don't start getting all huffy....that's the way can be)

Is your family wrong??? No..... They are concerned because they love you. If they didn't care... they wouldn't say anything.

There level of concern tells me that if you change directions here and have your surgery in the States....... You will have there support. You sound very close to your family or we wouldn't even be talking about this right now.

Having your family support and encouragement will be huge in your process/success....please don't discount that.

There was another girl less than a year ago went through the same exact thing with her family....her family actually chipped in the difference to have her surgery in the States.

I don't have all the names......but I know there are a few surgeons in Texas that are in the $12k range. Dr. Stewart comes to mind as someone that does a lot of DS and VSG surgeries.

In the big picture..... it's just a bump in the road...your time will come.

I commend you for being wise beyond your years.... this will work out !

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Herbie55
on 7/7/11 12:09 am - MI
I have seen US surgeons be as low as 9800 but I don't know the exact location. I paid 11000 myself. If you don't go thru with it at this time, keep looking for a cash pay option you can afford. As for the insurance, if you are paying it on your own more than likely it will have a weight loss exclusion. My self paid insurance is 497 per month and does not cover weight loss surgery for any reason. You are much further ahead to take out a loan for the balance.
Escape_Pod
on 7/7/11 12:56 am
It's my understanding there are medical tourism companies that offer option in the United States, which I'm sure would set yor family at ease. There are also companies that do financing. A large part of the expanse for many practices is the hospital charges, and those can be much cheaper in smaller communities.
I'm sure this is a heartbreaking setback, I know I raged irrationally at the tiniest delays, but you will get there. Family support will be so helpful to you post-surgery! Hang in there sweetie! I know it feels like surgery is the gate you have to pass through to change your life, but you actually passed that gate when you made the decision to have the surgery! You've been committed, followed whatever the requirements were pre-op, and started down the path. I'll bet you've even lost some weight! God bless you for loving your family so much!!

5'8"    Highest Weight: 245   Goal Weight (Surgeon): 154   Stretch Goal: 140

Not2L8
on 7/7/11 4:02 am
(deactivated member)
on 7/8/11 3:57 am
When I first got the bee-in-my-bonnet again about WLS, I was shocked to see the prices in Mexico.  Absolutely freakin' unbelievably low.  Book me a ticket I thought... and fast!!! 

As I checked a bit deeper, I found the bariatric hospital my hospital (I'm in healthcare) recommends isn't much more expensive by the time airfare and other incidentals are factored in.  Just under $10,000 for the VSG. 

I'd certainly give up $10,000 now to have a do over of my life since age 21!  I raised my kids as a fat mom, I've lived my marriage as a fat wife, I went to school as a fat student, I see my doctor as a fat patient, I do my job as a fat employee... all the while physically miserable and mentally ashamed and embarrassed.

If you can afford Mexico, I believe you can afford USA if that's what it takes to give your family peace of mind.  But in the end, you can't let giving them peace of mind cheat you out of living your own happier and healthier life.   
msleesa
on 7/8/11 6:14 am
 Thanks for everyone support. It's really hard getting a loan when your a college student. I just established credit this year because my car is under my name. My mom and other family hate mexico as if they've personally been there. I'm trying to go to the Dominican Republic since they are from that area and are used to D.R with medicine. Hopefully I can get a loan for $5,000 to pay the rest. I've been looking at surgeons in the U.S a few people have emailed me some good doctors. I'll go to anyone D.R or U.S it's the money that's the issue for me.
Jah Bless 

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 73 views