Revised Goal Weight

DragonGirl
on 7/18/11 4:23 am, edited 7/18/11 4:23 am - MN
I've decided to revise my goal weight. In the beginning, I had no idea what to pick as my "perfect" weight. My doctor didn't advise me...nor my nurse. I picked 150, simply because it was the top of my BMI.

I weight lift with a trainer twice a week, and I do additional work outs besides. He did a pinch test for me in May and another one on Saturday. In the 2 months between the tests, I took another 5% off of body fat. BOTH tests told me I should be at 165 for my goal weight. I have packed on a ton of muscle, without losing any lean mass, and I feel great. I also have contacted my nurse and spoke to her about the 165 target. She knows I'm big framed and told me I would look gaunt if I got to 150. She definitely thinks 165 is a good goal, so with their advice I'm revising my goal.

I weirdly feel guilty, like I'm cheating the system...but this is what I'm going to work toward.

I hope you all have a great journey in the future,
Heidi
theshrinkingmimi
on 7/18/11 4:27 am
Well, you are definitely not cheating. You are taking control of your life and goals. Besides, BMI is somewhat antiquated and doesn't represent muscular people very well. I haven't started back weight lifting yet, but I was very strong less than two years ago. I definitely plan to get there again. Congrats on the muscle building.
Pre-liquid diet 392; VSG'd on 6/10/11; 5'9"; SW 368/ GW 195?

Pounds lost: mth1=26.7; mth 2=21.2; mth 3=24.8; mth 4=13.8; mth 5=14.2;  
            mth 6=11.8; mth 7=9.2; mth 8&9= 17.2    
Mom4Jazz
on 7/18/11 4:28 am

Why feel guilty? Sometimes working from our starting weight, that goal is like throwing darts at a dart board.

I'm big framed (size 12 shoes, mens hats and gloves) and 5'8". I knew the 155 on the BMI chart was likely a no-go, but my current goal of 175 is a dart-at-the-dartboard kind of thing. No need to feel married to it because it was my best guess at a moment in time.

You go for a healthier you. No time for guilt.

PS: You're doing great!

Highest weight: 335 lbs, BMI 50.9
Pre-op weight: 319 lbs, BMI 48.5
Current range: 140-144, BMI 21.3 - 22

175+ lbs lost, maintaining since February 2012

katier825
on 7/18/11 4:31 am
I don't think it's bad to revise the goal...many of us don't really know till we get there anyway what it should be.  Especially those of us who have been overweight for nearly 50 years.  I had no idea what number to pick since I've had only a very brief time that I was not overweight.  I picked 140.  I am 135-136 now and that seems good for me.  I think I'd look sick if I lost much more.
cattywompos
on 7/18/11 4:39 am
I think those BMI charts are a bunch of hooey!  My "ideal weight" is like 130.  I don't think there would be much left of me at 130.  I picked 170 because I feel that is were I would feel "normal" that is all I ever wanted to be.  I don't ever plan on coming out of this one of "the beautiful people". My body is too ruined for that.  I don't think changing your goal weight is bad at all. Like the previous poster said, in the beginning it is like throwing darts at a board to pick a number. 
 HW-304 / SW- 286 / CW-198.25 / GW-170

Judith K.
on 7/18/11 4:48 am
VSG on 05/15/10 with
http://www.phentermine.com/forum/my-experience-phentermine/7 630-1-lb-fat-vs-1-lb-muscle-picture.html

Look at the picture of the # of fat vs. the # of muscle!  Amazing!

BodPod set my goal at 145# based on my body ratio of fat an muscle.  When I first started w/ them the goal was 130#.  I'll be excited to reach the lean, mean 145#!

You aren't cheating -- you're working hard and reaping the rewards.

Keep up the good work.

Judith
HW -- 255.8#;  WW/pre-op lost 22.6#; CW -- 152.2#; GW 140#; 103.6# GONE FOREVER!

(deactivated member)
on 7/18/11 4:50 am - Newnan, GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with
I know you have heard me beat the body composition drum girlie, so I will not do that anymore.

I did not know what the end would look like either, size or weight wise.  I picked 133 because it was the middle of "normal" BMI.

Now?  I have 130 pounds of lean on me.  No way in hell or anywhere else with gravity I could *get* to 133 or stay there without fighting my body, or have enough fat in my body to function. 

How can you be held accountable for an answer you did not have and so have to change? You cannot! 

YAAY YOU! 

You see what you look like when you get to 165.  I am telling you though, do not stop because just your FACE and chest look gaunt - when you hold a weight for a while, your body is going to redistribute fat and your angles will soften up.

Another thing too, (just because you know I love me some words) you can pinch me certain places and it tells you I am 5% body fat, but others ?  HA! 

So, calipers are a tool, like a scale, and handy for seeing differences, but for telling you REALISTICALLY what your body composition is? They are not terribly reliable.

But all of that to say, you keep working hard like you are and see where you land!  You are doing GREAT, babybean!
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 100 views