Preops please read-> hunger doesn't go away for everybody!

Kristy R.
on 8/19/11 4:26 am - Santa Clara, CA
 I have always been hungry as well.  I eat very little carbs.  I eat mostly dense protein.  Most days I drin****il it comes out my eye balls.  My stomach used to feel like it was trying to eat itself.  It has settled down and is much better, but I do still get hungry.  I'm kind of bummed about it, but not as much as I was since it has settled some.  I am still losing.  It just means I have to rely on myself to make good choices.  I cannot dispute the results and my restriction is good.
~Kristy~ VSG 3/29/11 ~ 15 pounds lost pre-op, SW - 240/GW - 150

Lisa J.
on 8/19/11 4:28 am - OK
The one for sure thing is our tummies and esophagus makes a lot of noise these days. It sounds loud enough (and probably sometimes is) that coworkers can hear it--feels like something is coming back out our throats--

Seeing as how the bottoms of our stomachs were so much further way, allowing for all that noise to get buried under a ton of food...makes a lot of sense that we can now hear it. That's just my analytical mind working here. If that's what we're all talking about, I never considered THAT to be a hungry tummy.

I can honestly say that the "I've got to eat something NOW" maniac is at least for now, not living in me anymore. And I have to admit it was a HARD, hard lesson to really learn what is head vs real hunger and mostly it is head.

I truly know that when I eat it's because I know it's 'time' to eat. Sometimes I do eat because I'm bored, but thankfully, sitting around and downing a bag of something or anything more than a handful isn't going to happen. THANK GOD!

Lisa J
HW: 277   Day of Surgery: 234    CW: 161 Goal: 135 sounds good but....? Who knows!

HW/277   EVAL/260  PREOP/246  SURGERY DAY/243   CW/162 1/3/2011
vacationlover
on 8/19/11 5:44 am
BTW, I don't mean to come off as grumpy, or unhappy, or ungrateful or mean :)

I just want to spread the word to newbies out there that there is a small chance that no matter what they do, their hunger might not go away... even if they are sticking to the plan.

CW: 130ish HW: 264 SW:254 Hgt: 5'2

Goals-Dr:159-MET Mine:140-MET!!! Final Goal: 135-MET!!!!!

W4:-22 W8:-11 W12:-10.5 W16:-12 W20:-11.5 W24:-9.5 W28:-8 W32:-7.5 W36:-8 W40:-7.5 W44:-5 W48: -4.5 1Yr/W52: -7

C. Champion
on 8/20/11 2:57 am - Minneapolis, MN
Yep I picked this surgery because my surgeon said that most all of your hunger sensors are removed and people dont feel hungry, well today is day 5 post op for me now and yep im hungry, im misserable and im hungry and I cant eat all I can do is liquids for two more weeks and those go right through me. I dont know stomach size or what all I know is that my surgeon used a 32 bougie, whatever that means. I hope my misery goes away because I was seriously not prepared to be hungry, this is a huge let down for me. At this point if someone asked me if I could do it over again would I , I would say no!!
If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you've always got!
Highest Wt 344, Starting Wt 311, Surgery Wt 298, 1st Goal Wt 200.     

emelar
on 8/31/11 3:21 am - TX
At 5 days post-op and on liquids, what you feel is normal.  It will change on mushies/purees/softs and it will change again when you hit regular dense protein.  Try not to despair until then.  The first month absolutely sucks, even when everything is going just the way it's suppose to.
emelar
on 8/31/11 3:26 am - TX
I still get hungry.  I still love food.  But the hunger I have today isn't the 24 hour a day version that I had pre-op.  I could eat a whole meal and, 20 minutes later, feel hungry again and eat again.  This went on all day from the time I was a child.

Compared to that, the hunger I feel today is normal and totally manageable and I'm thrilled with it.

I had a 36fr bougie.  I get in an average of 110g of protein a day.  24g of that is whey protein isolate in my coffee.  Like brandilynn, when I try to get protein in with food alone, my protein levels drop.  And I NEVER had a problem getting protein in.  So I'm hoping the one supplement a day keeps the levels up where I'm comfortable.
vacationlover
on 8/31/11 3:33 am
So...  When I added unjury to my coffee, it turned into gross chunks.  Can you add your protein to hot coffee?

CW: 130ish HW: 264 SW:254 Hgt: 5'2

Goals-Dr:159-MET Mine:140-MET!!! Final Goal: 135-MET!!!!!

W4:-22 W8:-11 W12:-10.5 W16:-12 W20:-11.5 W24:-9.5 W28:-8 W32:-7.5 W36:-8 W40:-7.5 W44:-5 W48: -4.5 1Yr/W52: -7

emelar
on 8/31/11 4:51 am - TX
You have to dissolve the protein powder first.  Put a scoop of powder in your coffee cup, add some not-ho****er, and get it good and dissolved.  I have a Keurig, so I can then just stick the cup under the coffee maker and make a single cup.  And I stir, stir, stir as it drips, drips, drips. 

That gets rid of any clumps.  I much rather drink the coffee than any of the protein shakes.
(deactivated member)
on 8/31/11 5:03 am - Newnan, GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with
This is just me saying, I got 5 pound jugs of ON Caramel Toffee Fudge and Chocolate Malt, AND I do a jig every morning when I drink my Toffee or Malty coffee and take my Proferrin Iron that does not have the same restrictions as elemental iron! 
emelar
on 8/31/11 5:13 am - TX
OK, now I'm gonna have to get Caramel Toffee Fudge too!  I have the malt, but I haven't tried it in the coffee.  I use it to make malted milk. 
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 272 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views