Preops please read-> hunger doesn't go away for everybody!

vacationlover
on 8/18/11 11:09 pm
Hi!  I'm 4 months out today (happy anniversary to me!), and I have no regrets!  I am so happy that I am sleeved :)

A lot of newly sleeved people have posted about still feeling hunger.  I want to make sure that all of you preops out there are aware that HUNGER DOES NOT GO AWAY FOR EVERYONE!  Don't get the surgery assuming that you will never be hungry again!!!  I have had hunger since pretty much day 3 after the surgery.  Some people told me it might be head hunger or acid... it wasn't!  It was real, tummy growling, hunger!

When I was on my liquid and pureed diet, I was starving all of the time.  Now that I can eat whatever I want, my hunger is better.  I eat 1-2 ounces of protein every 3-4 hours, with some fruit or veggies if I have room.  I ALWAYS eat my protein first, and then I get full faster.  About a month ago, I stopped getting hungry for breakfast, and only get a little hungry for lunch.  I get VERY hungry for my afternoon snack and dinner!

CW: 130ish HW: 264 SW:254 Hgt: 5'2

Goals-Dr:159-MET Mine:140-MET!!! Final Goal: 135-MET!!!!!

W4:-22 W8:-11 W12:-10.5 W16:-12 W20:-11.5 W24:-9.5 W28:-8 W32:-7.5 W36:-8 W40:-7.5 W44:-5 W48: -4.5 1Yr/W52: -7

frisco
on 8/18/11 11:27 pm

Yes, hunger does seem vary amongst sleevers.....were all made a little different and surgeries vary.

A couple questions for you....

- What is your sleeve size?

- What is your daily carb count?

- What fruits and veggies are you eating?

- Are you on an Acid Blocker?

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

vacationlover
on 8/19/11 12:02 am
Unfortunately, I do not know my sleeve size.  I do know that my stomach was long for my height.  I try to keep my carbs under 40.  I have 1/8 to 1/4 cup of veggies (peas, carrots, corn, or lettuce) or fruit (banana, oranges, melon, etc) with lunch and dinner.  I was on an acid blocker the first 2 months, but am no longer on one. 

I drink at least 64 ounces of water a day (more on running days) and have at least 60-70 grams of protein (my doctor recommends at least 60).  Even though my doctor says that I shouldn't be paying attention to calories at this point, I have 600-800 a day (sometimes up to 1000 if I've done a long run).

CW: 130ish HW: 264 SW:254 Hgt: 5'2

Goals-Dr:159-MET Mine:140-MET!!! Final Goal: 135-MET!!!!!

W4:-22 W8:-11 W12:-10.5 W16:-12 W20:-11.5 W24:-9.5 W28:-8 W32:-7.5 W36:-8 W40:-7.5 W44:-5 W48: -4.5 1Yr/W52: -7

(deactivated member)
on 8/19/11 12:26 am, edited 8/19/11 12:27 am - Newnan, GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with
And for Bubs scientific questions here are my answers

Post Date: 8/19/11 6:27 am

Yes, hunger does seem vary amongst sleevers.....were all made a little different and surgeries vary.

- What is your sleeve size?  32 oversewn.

- What is your daily carb count?  During my losing phase 20 total a day, not net, but total.  Now because I have added more veggies in (since I have to drink shakes no matter how much meat I eat, so why not have some veggies) about 32 g total on a typical day, unless I add peanuts to 2 of my salads and have a bit of fruity nut bread for under my almond butter after exercise when its about 67 g total, this is on a heavier work out day, not just dog hiking day.

- What fruits and veggies are you eating?  Raw spinach, cooked spinach, romaine.  This fruity nut bread has black raisins in it. I was having some figs before the squirrels ate them all.  :}  My hunger is not more or less when I add the fruity nut bread to a salady meal after exercise, or an ounce or two of fruit to a salad once a day.  ETA - I might also have about 1/4 cup of orange added to my iron dosing meal to help with iron absorption, but its an either or, I do not typically have more than 1 serving of fruityness in a day - or 2 servings if we are counting the raisins in the bread as a "whole serving"

- Are you on an Acid Blocker?  I was when I was first out of surgery for the first month or two, then no.  I did a trial to see if my hunger was stopped (like many other folks have been!) with with addition of a PPI, and it sometimes pushed me closer to 4 hours (of course, only after dense protein alone) but mostly what it did was give me concrete gut and angry anus.  So, pushing the meals out an hour was not worth that extra time, because all it did was make it so I needed to spend that time wishing I could poop!  :} 

koshermama
on 8/18/11 11:27 pm
Yeah, at two weeks out I have hunger too, but it isn't the panicky gnaw-my-knuckles-off-if-I-don't-have-something-NOW kind of hunger. It's more like, oh, I must be hungry. Guess I should eat something soon...

HW 310, SW 307, CW 259, LW 7.5, Goal 150

Shalom aleichem! Join us...  Keeping Kosher After WLS    
(deactivated member)
on 8/19/11 12:20 am, edited 8/19/11 12:23 am - Newnan, GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with
Correct.  I am 2+months years out and I never lost my hunger totally, but I dont have the panicked, furious, frothy hunger of before (unless I have been eating simple carb laden things, but then that is my fault and that reaction IS TO BE EXPECTED in my case).  I have REASONABLE hunger that is satisfied with a REASONABLE amount of food.  Which was, for me, why *I* had this surgery, so some could be enough.

I eat on a schedule and have taught me that hunger, in and of itself is not an emergency.  I eat premeasured portions of food, which helps me from eating more than I need.  If I *do not* eat on a schedule, then there is the danger that I will eat past what I *need* because my blood sugar is wonky, and especially if its after I have exercised hard, because I am hungrier than the normal hunger *always* after exercise.

I can control how hungry I get between meals by:

A - Timing - I start to get hungry every 3 hours when eating dense proteins alone
B - What I consume.  3 hours between meals before hunger if I have eaten dense proteins (meat) alone (as above).  If I eat things with my dense protein, then the time is shorter, depending on how much of what else I have eaten. Soft proteins, eggs, cottage cheese, yogurt, protein puddings, things of that nature do not stay with me long at all.

I, for one, cannot do the stick to your ribs oatmeal, even proteiny oatmeal or "high protein cereals" for breakfast because that sends me into hungryhungryhungry all day long, and I am hungry in about an hour after eating those things.

And for Bubs scientific questions here are my answers

Post Date: 8/19/11 6:27 am

- What is your sleeve size?  32 oversewn.

- What is your daily carb count?  During my losing phase 20 total a day, not net, but total.  Now because I have added more veggies in (since I have to drink shakes no matter how much meat I eat, so why not have some veggies) about 32 g total on a typical day, unless I add peanuts to 2 of my salads and have a bit of fruity nut bread for under my almond butter after exercise when its about 67 g total, this is on a heavier work out day, not just dog hiking day.

- What fruits and veggies are you eating?  Raw spinach, cooked spinach, romaine.  This fruity nut bread has black raisins in it. I was having some figs before the squirrels ate them all.  :}  My hunger is not more or less when I add the fruity nut bread to a salady meal after exercise, or an ounce or two of fruit to a salad once a day.

- Are you on an Acid Blocker?  I was when I was first out of surgery for the first month or two, then no.  I did a trial to see if my hunger was stopped (like many other folks have been!) with with addition of a PPI, and it sometimes pushed me closer to 4 hours (of course, only after dense protein alone) but mostly what it did was give me concrete gut and angry anus.  So, pushing the meals out an hour was not worth that extra time, because all it did was make it so I needed to spend that time wishing I could poop!  :} 

My hunger is more prevelent during the mornings than it is at night (unless I have gone for a long time without eating).  I attribute this to my work day starting very early and not having been in the habit of night time snacking before surgery more than anything else. 
michellemj
on 8/19/11 2:13 am
*hijack*

YAY! New Profile Pic!

Looking fab. :)

HW: 280; SW: 255; GW1: 150; CW: 155.

(deactivated member)
on 8/19/11 2:29 am - Newnan, GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with
EVerything you say bounces offa me and sticks to you, my beautysmileyfacedfriend!! 
SaminCT
on 8/19/11 12:21 am
My stomach growels, but I don't feel like I'm dying to eat. I do have some weird cravings. I'm still on the liquid phase because I had a leak and I'm finally recovering. But my tummy does growl. (It was worse before I was able to go back on Nexium.)
VSG - 7/12/2011 with Dr. Gedeon and Dr. Oluwole, Bristol Hospital (CT)
Ms Shell
on 8/19/11 12:35 am - Hawthorne, CA
Unfortunately at 41 I have learned there are NO absolutes in the world.  RnYers seem to believe they will dump (while only 30% of them actually do dump).

Another not 100% is that you WILL never have that hunger return.  Again some will some wont.

Ms Shell

"WLS is only for people who are ready to move past the "diet" mentality" ~Alison Brown
"WLS is not a Do-Over (repeat same mistakes = get a similar outcome.)  It is a Do-BETTER (make lifestyle changes you can continue forever.)" ~ Michele Vicara aka Eggface

Most Active