From 3 to 5 meals is messing with my head?

CCinIndiana
on 8/26/11 12:08 am - IN
Hi Everyone,

I am 6 1/2 weeks out and transitioned to solids at about 30 days.  I had written a week or so ago about everything hurting my stomach, was measuring two ounces, but it felt like a big lump.  At that time I was just eating 3x a day.  Some of the feedback I got was and my surgeons instructions were to eat five times a day, smaller amounts.  So for the last week i have been doing that.  Good news is my tummy aches stopped, bad news is it seems like eating 5x a day has increased the obsession part.  My only weight loss success prior to my surgery was overeaters anonymous back in the laast 90s.  At that time for me it was 3 meals a day, weighed and measured and nothing in between.  So weighing my 2 ounces 3x a day felt good.  The last few days I've had lots of food thoughts about what I get to eat next, when can I eat next etc.  It is bothering me.  Has anyone else experienced this and if so how did you get past it?  Thanks so much.  Cathi
justeric78
on 8/26/11 12:22 am - Houston, TX
I experienced something similar until I was able to eat a little more at regular meal times. When eating such small quantities I always wanted more in my head and slowly transitioned to a better understanding of food. It took me some time though.

LaughingCow
on 8/26/11 12:33 am - VA
VSG on 02/01/12 with
I don't have any experience with this, but I wonder if it would be helpful to do the weighing/measuring in advance so that there is nothing to think about during the day.  For example, you could weigh/measure all five meals first thing in the morning.  Then that part is all done and there is nothing you need to think about that might trigger obsessive thoughts. 
Amy
VSG on 2/1/12 with Dr. Halmi
No More Spanx
on 8/26/11 12:46 am - Rock Island, IL
I too was having problems eating anything but mushy at 6 weeks out .  Although my plan called for me to be able to eat solids, I felt that if I was hurting, then my stomach was not ready yet.  I extended my mushy/REAL soft foods phase for another week and a half.  The "mileage may vary" warning is soo true, at least for me. 

My best advice...don't ru****  Move back to your previous stage until you are comfortable advancing.  Try solids a week from now (3X per day).  I can't imagine having to eat 5X per day.  Quite Frankly, I eat 2 very small meals of strictly dense protein right now and can only fit about 2oz.  I still supplement with 2-3 shakes to meet protein requirements.  My loss has been very good right now, so I am not worried too much about the food, but rather meeting my protein and water requirements.

Best of luck in your journey!!

Ann
HT: 5'3"    HW: 235   Starting  BMI: 41.6     CW: 128  Current     BMI: 22.6                    

BriarRose
on 8/26/11 1:04 am
It sounds to me like you are having issues wrapping your head around having the permission to eat 5 times a day. We eat so little, that we need the fuel to keep going. I am often on the road for the entire day. I pack up my 3 water bottles, a hard boiled egg for breakfast, tuna salad for lunch, a yogurt for snack inbetween b'fast and lunch, and a string cheese and small serving of fruit for snack in the afternoon. When I have it all assembled; in it's teeny tiny tupperwares...it's not alot of food !!! But to me, it seems like it is now !

You have to change your mind set from restricting yourself from eating to the mindset of feeding your bdy fuel to burn !!
Briar Rose  
High Wt 300 lbs.  Pre-op Wt loss 34 lbs.   
Jenni Z.
on 8/26/11 1:56 am - CA
I understand what you are saying. I was very obsessive compulsive about my meals in the beginning. What really helped me and I am not sure why I didn't do it sooner was for me to plan three days or so of meals and snacks at a time. If done in advance and on myfitnesspal.com, it seemed to relieve my worries as I had a PLAN to follow! I eat five times a day but two of those are really small snacks (cheese stick or protein shake = 75-100 Calories at most). You can do this! I have always struggled with a slower metabolism and I feel that eating 5 times really feeds my body and gives it the strength it needs! Best wishes! Jenni
  5 9' Surgery/Start Weight: 341 CW: 276 Goal: 181 Dream Goal: 165

cancelsbronx
on 8/26/11 5:25 pm - Stamford, CT
Are you avoiding things that are a trigger for you?  I am familliar with OA, in fact I still attend OA meetings.  If you feel that one particular food group or type of food would be a trigger for you, then by all means eliminating that trigger would help you to maintain your abstinance  and you can chose other foods to replace any food that can trigger a binge or maladaptive behavior. 

Good luck,

Santos

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 69 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 258 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 324 views