Constipation!!! TMI I know......

SleeveRockn Chic
on 9/10/11 3:03 am
 I can't poop.  It's been a week and nothing. Dr. told me to try baby prunes (which I can't find) or Miralax at half dose.  So I've done the Miralax and nothing is moving yet.  Should I give it some more time or go to hospital, it's starting to worry me a little.  Thanks, Kerry 

LilySlim Weight loss tickers  
 HW: 365lbs.  SW:353  CW:182.4  GW:160 lbs.
Goal 1: Get under 300 (Reached as of 11/15/2011 299.4 Baby) 
Goal 2- Get under 200 (Reached as of 08/29/2012 199.2 Baby) 
Goal 3- Get to 160

91Annie15
on 9/10/11 3:16 am - CA
 My average bm is every 3-4 days.  It is SOoooooo uncomfortable!  Have you started solids, yet?  I started moving when I started more solid foods.  It still sucks to move so slow.  I put two packets of Benifiber in my shakes.  Walking/moving more should help get you going.  If you can't find pureed prunes, try pureeing some on your own.  Maybe mix them with apple sauce or a bit of juice...  Also, there is always prune juice.  It may be high in sugar, but it's only temporary, ya know?!?!  I don't think you need to go to the hospital unless you're in a huge amount of pain.  Meanwhile, try as many natural remedies as you can.

I hope you start moving soon.
-AA   
SleeveRockn Chic
on 9/10/11 3:21 am
 Thank you.  Yeah I'll get some prunes too and see if that helps I mean it's not like I miss it or anything just wanna make sure nothing is wrong lol.  I'm not in pain because of it so I'll just wait and see.  Kerry

LilySlim Weight loss tickers  
 HW: 365lbs.  SW:353  CW:182.4  GW:160 lbs.
Goal 1: Get under 300 (Reached as of 11/15/2011 299.4 Baby) 
Goal 2- Get under 200 (Reached as of 08/29/2012 199.2 Baby) 
Goal 3- Get to 160

krystals
on 9/10/11 4:56 am - TX
VSG on 07/15/11 with
If you are on liquids you probably won't have to poop much. But if you are on solids and you get consipation here is what I do. Warning this may be gross to others what I do is I get a douch bottle empty it and fill it with warm water and soap. I shake it until it bubbles up. Then I sit on the toliet and stick it in the back door (but hole) and squeeze it all out. That gets my bowls moving it puts water in there to lube everything up and it comes right out,, ALL of it. I feel so much better afterwards just make sure your hubby or kids are not around while your doing it because it can be rathe smelly. If this is to nasty for you to do just take 5 tablespoons of Milk of Magnesia and that will help to. But there is nothing better then a home made ennema.

(deactivated member)
on 9/10/11 3:24 am, edited 9/10/11 3:24 am
Miralax takes a few days to work, and it's very gentle- so a full dose would not hurt.. it just adds water to the stool. If there's no stool being produced (being on liquids only or a very low intake) you will not poop very often, that's for sure. I also would recommend a dose or two of Benefiber a day, forever. It just adds a good amount of soluble fiber (which is not bulking, just helps things form and move).. but it works well.

Are you uncomfortable or just noticing you aren't going? 

Edited: ok, just noted you aren't uncomfortable.. constipation makes you uncomfortable, you know it when you are.. You have to poop, and it won't move. You likely just don't have much in there to release. Just keep using the Miralax, and cut back when you start going, as it may end up being a little soft when you do.

Once everything normalizes, switch to 1/2 dose Miralax and look into supplementing with some magnesium oxide. I have not had any constipation issues since I started using a calcium supplement that has a good dose of mag in there too.. I am finally normal. 

nursejessica
on 9/10/11 3:48 am - Gillette, WY
My doc says Milk of Magnesia....couple of tablesoons of that.   Are you passing gas?

May D.
on 9/10/11 4:17 am
 Try some prunes and a cup of hot tea.  I've had this issue and at times it was painful, but the prunes worked, and they're delicious too!

roseselene
on 9/10/11 7:37 am
I started taking the fiber gummies from Costco by a recommendation from somebody here (can't remember who).  They are fabulous and work like a charm.  5 gm of fiber per two gummies.  I haven't had a single bit on constipation since about 3 days after I started taking them.  Before I started them I was having a terrible time!
Amy
CW: 255 SW: 234 

roundater
on 9/10/11 8:07 am - Lincoln, NE
Miralax is what my surgeon recommended.
Rich Sonderegger

Meme10
on 9/10/11 12:13 pm - TX
If you have not pooped at all since surgery...call your dr. At Walgreens you can get glycerine (liquid) in tubes with a bulb on the end. They come 5 in a box. One will do the job. They are by the suppositories. I've had bowel obstructions from colon surgeries. You know when that is the problem. You cant even pass gas
I hope your plumbing starts working soon.
              HW-307  lapband-243  SW-250  CW-225  GW-150                  

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 69 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 258 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 324 views