New Guy Alert!!!!! LOL

mbennett66
on 9/11/11 9:20 am - TN
Hello all, just wanted to say hello and introduce myself.  Here's the summary:  My name is Micah, I will be 36 next week.  I have a wonderful wife and 8yr old son.  I am 6'4" and my top weight was 340 in 2008.  My wife was also larger at 5'7" and 330.  She (cbennett on here) had the DS procedure in March of 2010 and has been a complete success story.  Sharing her same struggles along the way and seeing her success prompted me to examine options in July/Aug of 2010.  I went to the same doctor as her at the same facility.  Dr. Houston and his entire team are great. 

I went in with the direction of the DS since that was what I was most familiar with from my wife. 
My weight of 310 and BMI of 38 did not qualify me for the DS but I was a perfect candidate for the VSG.  I was a bit relieved because the thought of all the vitamins was my biggest concern with the DS even with my wifes success.

Well, my procedure was this past Tuesday on Sept 6, 2010.  I have been home since Thursday and doing good as far as I can tell.

Weight at surgury was 291 after a few weeks of cutting back and two days of clear liquids pre-op.

Doc repaired a minor hiatal hernia as well.  5 half inch holes in my belly and 1 one inch hole.  No complications during surgery that were mentioned.

Im SORE.  The only incision site that is at all tender is the big one where the doc said the removed stomach came thru.  He said its the only one that has any stiches in the muscle.  It about two inches right of center just under my rib cage.  Seems that most of my pain is from the hernia repair, direct center under my rib cage, and I will be glad when it subsides, hopefully over the next few days or weeks.

Still doing the clear liquids for stage 1 (Two weeks with my Dr).  Concentrating on getting my 64oz of liquids in.  Not a lot of concentration on protien yet. I will start that hard with full liquids in another week.  Wifes only issue post-op was dehydration so I am working hard to avoid that.

I will be so glad when I get to some more filling options.  I would not really say I feel hungry, but I sure feel EMPTY. 

That about covers me for now.  I welcome any comments, tips, etc. 

Sincerely Micah B
Consult 310, Surgury 291, 09-11-11 278,  Goal 200. 
Dawnie 88
on 9/11/11 9:27 am
I just want to say welcome..and congrat's to your wife..for her success..and to you as well..for taking charge of your health and having surgery.   Any questions you have along the way..just ask!!  Although I'm sure your wife can help you out as well as any of us!

CoolBeans
on 9/11/11 9:56 am - MD
 Welcome, New Guy!  

Sounds like you are on track so far learning from your wife's experience. We look forward to seeing you around here. 
 Cari    
BuckeyeGirl
on 9/11/11 10:05 am - TN
Welcome new guy!!!

Congrats to your wife and I think it is great for you to have someone there *****ally understands what you are going through.

The first few weeks are the most difficult. Things get a lot easier when you are able to start chewing again. Hang in there!

Keep us updated, we'll be so excited to hear about your progress!

Lindsey

stacezoe
on 9/11/11 10:19 am
Welcome! Your pain is totally normal thats where the worst of it was for me too, I'm a little over 2 weeks out, and right around 9 days the pain just kind of got better, now I don't feel it at all, really other than not being able to eat solid food I'd never even know I had surgery, so hang in there you will feel better very very soon.

Congrats to you and your wife for changing your life.
 Inspiration move me brightly...Grateful Dead Terapin Station
  HW 286 SW 279 CW 231 40y/o 5'10  Month 1-17, 2-7#, 3- 7#, 4-3#,5-3#      
Grumpy_old_man
on 9/11/11 10:24 am, edited 9/11/11 10:24 am
Welcome to the "hood" Congrats on your surgery and successful recovery. I am 2 1/2 weeks away and I cannot wait to join you on the bench.

Can you imagine what I would do if I could do all I can?
  Sun Tzu   
felicity2u
on 9/11/11 11:07 am - LA
Welcome and keep us posted on your journey! Can't wait to hear about all your success!

If you fear nothing, then you love nothing. If you love nothing, what joy can there be in life?
                       VSG-3/3/2011 HW-308 SW-298 CW-152 GW-160
                                                156LBS. LOST

SassyItalian
on 9/11/11 11:22 am - Basseterre, St. Kitts and Nevis
Fresh meat!! Oops, I meant welcome to the board.

Congrats to you and your wife on making the decision to live a healthier life for you child. I am sure you will do great!

HW: 258lbs  SW: 240   CW: 140  I am 5 foot 7 and 30 years old               
                 VSG 12/21/10  Plastics: Tummy tuck, breast lift, and augmentation 11/3/11
                                             Soon to be veterinarian!! xoxo

califsleevin
on 9/11/11 12:09 pm - CA
Hello and welcome to the new world. My wife is also a DSer, a little more than 6 years out and my VSG is only 4 months old.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

janielynne
on 9/11/11 12:43 pm
Welcome Micah,
                  Congrats on your surgery.  You will soon see, that this board is wonderful. Feel free to ask any questions, we are all here to help.  Welcome to the losers bench!!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 95 views