I made 2 Boo Boo's this week!!! Warning curse word or 2 lol.

SleeveRockn Chic
on 9/12/11 4:32 am
 First hubby and I were out and about and he had big gulp drink and I had to hold because our sucky car has no cup holders.  The drink started to overflow on lid so I sucked it up then was like **** me, yeah it was coke ughhhhhhh.  Second I was breaking apart cupcakes to give away from my daughters bday and yep without thinking I licked my finger, double **** lol,  I hope I don't mess anything up ughhhhh, why me???? lol  Kerry 

LilySlim Weight loss tickers  
 HW: 365lbs.  SW:353  CW:182.4  GW:160 lbs.
Goal 1: Get under 300 (Reached as of 11/15/2011 299.4 Baby) 
Goal 2- Get under 200 (Reached as of 08/29/2012 199.2 Baby) 
Goal 3- Get to 160

edelu
on 9/12/11 4:44 am - los angeles, CA
You're fine.  Takes a while to remember not to pick up messes as a mom.  You didn't put anything in your mouth with the intention of trying it. You'll get better.
tripmom02
on 9/12/11 4:48 am - NJ
 Ugh, I did the SAME thing with the soda! We went to a local street fair with the kids and I grabbed what I thought was my water out of the cup holder (they where both in the same kind of cup) and got a mouth full of Dr. Pepper from my husbands cup! 

I am sure you are fine! 

Courtney - Lap band to VSG revision

jennifer K.
on 9/12/11 5:12 am - OH
Girl you need to relax!  This is a new journey and things are going to happen.  It isn't a big deal and it won't kill your weight loss.  Seriously - just breathe.  We have all done that at one point or another - I am only 2 months out and have had a few flubs myself - but you do it once and catch it and remember not to do it again....that being said - if it starts to become a habit then you will have issues.  If it makes you feel better here are a few of my flubs - drank out of a straw, licked icing off finger while making cupcakes - caught myself and grabbed a paper towel so I could wipe it off as I go, forgetting to eat or drink enough some days.    You are fine - keep taking it one day at a time and don't panic over the little things :)  you are going to do great!
Jennifer
HW:330, Class W: 300  SW: 279 (7/13)
1m: 257 - 22 lbs/ 2m: 241 - 17 lbs/ 3m 231 - 10 lbs/ 4m  221 - 10 lbs/ 5m 210 -11lbs

Rouxful
on 9/12/11 6:12 am
 With the culture we've built as WLS people, it's easy to get a little neurotic about food. After all, the evidence does bear out that certain foods will help us build muscle and get fit, and others will go straight to our thighs and jiggle for a month. Half a cookie, a bite of cake, a few fries...These aren't going to set you back in the slightest. It's when the half a cookie turns into half a pack of cookies throughout the day, or the bite of cake turns into as much cake as your sleeve can hold. 

Eating is, and always will be, an important part of our society. As sleevers, it's easy to feel left out and fearful that partaking of these treats will destroy us. We feel like recovering alcoholics handed a drink. Just relax, and remember that you're in control. 

Now carbonation is something I do miss. But it presents a real, physical risk of harming our sleeves. That being said, one unintentional sip is hardly going to hurt you.

HW 403 / SW 372 / CW 204 / GW 199    

kimbethin
on 9/12/11 6:26 am - CA
I agree with Jennifer and Rouxful.  Relax a little and enjoy your new life.  Be proud of yourself for not eating a cupcake!  My confession:  Last week I had a few sips of regular coke!  From a Straw!  On Purpose!  I've been off the stuff for so long I needed to know what would happen.  I don't like it and it used to be nectar of the Gods!    BTW my sleeve didn't pop, but it didn't feel so great either.  I won't go there again, but I really needed to know.  Good luck.
putting one foot in front of the other...        
Margo N.
on 9/12/11 7:19 am
Seriously - enough with the irrational fear of carbonation. There are LOTS of reasons not to drink soda, esp the full-sugar type, but also diet - too much sugar, lots of artificial crap, and the phosphoric acid leaches calcium from the bones. Also, many of us, pre-op, inhaled massive amounts of fast food, or fritos or whatever other kind of junk WITH our soda, so it can be a trigger food

BUT, there is NO evidence that I am aware of that carbonation will stretch or pop your stomach. Soda may be too acidic on a new sleeve, but in a healed tummy there is an exit and an entrance, and excess gas will go out one way or another. I have heard of surgeons demonstrating how a balloon, placed over a pop bottle, will stretch and expand - well, pop a hole in that balloon and presto - no stretching.

I think it IS important to follow the advice of surgeons and NUTs, but I get really aggravated when their advice is either contrary to, or not based at all, on actual science. (Like the NUTs who insist that 120 carbs a day is necessary for survival and brain functioning.)

Don't worry though, one sip of pop and one taste of icing will neither break your sleeve or stop your weight loss - the time to worry is when you are eating things that you KNOW do not support your health as a habit.

Margo - Burnaby, British Columbia HW 283 / SW 269 / GW 160 (I'm 5'8")
Check out my blog at http://www.vsggoodlife.com/

theshrinkingmimi
on 9/12/11 8:29 am

More like oopsies than boo boos.  I had an oopsie when a friend was visiting me. I took a huge bite of something.  Then I told her to turn away and spit most of it out. 

Pre-liquid diet 392; VSG'd on 6/10/11; 5'9"; SW 368/ GW 195?

Pounds lost: mth1=26.7; mth 2=21.2; mth 3=24.8; mth 4=13.8; mth 5=14.2;  
            mth 6=11.8; mth 7=9.2; mth 8&9= 17.2    
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 266 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 327 views