Gaining Knowledge from the Eperts :)

Laura S.
on 10/5/11 1:09 pm - CT
I am just starting the journey, I have been to a lecture on the surgeries, and just had my first appointment with my Dr.  I guess I was hoping he would say "I recommend this surgery".. but instead he did explain them all to me, told me to research, to ask questions, attend two support group meetings, and maybe I'd decide. 

When I started becoming serious about having surgery, I was thinking Lap Band.  However the idea of something plastic inside of me kinda skeeves me out.  Not to mention in research it seems like there are alot of reversals at some point.  I have seen alot of posts that are positive about the sleeve and the only thing that scares me is having something cut out of my body.

But... I am tired of 30 years of gaining 50, loosing 50 but never taking off that "other" 50 I needed to.  I'm tired of carrying me around, tired of hiding behind my clothes, tired of being embarassed when seeing a picture of myself or running into someone who knew me when I was a skinny young lady @ 118 pounds.  I want the old me back... ok not at 118 but I'd settle for 150.  ONE HUNDRED pounds from where I am right now. 

Ok... what I wanted to ask was can you, the experts please share with me your experience strength and hope... so i can eventually make a decision so  I can begin my journey. 
Thanks!!!

Laura
USAF Wife
on 10/5/11 1:20 pm
Hey and welcome ! ! !

My number one recommendation is to read, read, read, and read some more!

Here is a great link for newbies who are researching VSG. It's chalked full of personal experiences, and at the bottom several research links/articles/dietary guidelines.

http://vsgfaq.wordpress.com/
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

sunbeam409
on 10/5/11 1:30 pm
Hi!  When I 1st decided on WLS I thought I was dead set on the lap band.  Then I had to attend a mandatory all day class where they explained everyhing about the 3 surgeries and that is when I learned about the sleeve for the 1st time and started to really question the lap band.  They said that the lap band is a much slower weight loss and the success rates after 5 years are not as good as other options.  I knew I didnt want to do bypass, bc I did not like the idea of anything being re-routed and my digestive system changing.  I had the sleeve done on 8/29 and am very happy with it.  I could not be happier with my choice!  When I was going through my research phase I found these youtube videos by a woman who documented her journey.  Check them out, it is so exciting to watch her entire journey!

http://www.youtube.com/user/Kellawanda#p/u/48/S1mONO8w8CE

VSG: 8/29/2011, Age:30, Height: 5' 6" (HW: 290) (SW: 280.8) (CW: 191.2) (GW: 160)
(Pre-op -9.2) (M1 -20.4) (M2 -16) (M3 -13.4) (M4- 10.8) (M5- 15.2) (M6- 7.8) (M7- 7.2)
janielynne
on 10/5/11 1:55 pm
I agree with the two prev post....READ,and READ ALOT.  I also started my journey looking at the bad.  I soon changed my mind after my first support group.  Then after my consult with my surgeon, he explained all the WLS to me.  The sleeve just seemed right for me. I was 6 mths post op yesterday. I have losted 71 lbs....I have hopes of making it to 100 lost by Christmas.
Please feel free to add me as a friend and ask me as many questions as you like.
This is will be the best thing you will ever do for yourself.  I think my lucky stars everyday, that  I had the guts to do it......i will never be that 260 pound woman....ever again.

Jane

MrsClaus09
on 10/5/11 9:33 pm
Best decision I've ever made - I wish I had done it 15 years ago! 

For me, once I read all I could about the VSG, I knew it was the ONLY surgery for me.  No intestinal bypass, no malabsoption, no foreign objects...it was exactly what I needed and I am more than thrilled with my decision. 

As the others have said, read, read, read....learn as much as you can and make informed decisions...use all the information you gain to select the right surgeon and keep your chin up!  It can be a long process but, in the end, you'll be thankful you were prepared!  GL!
My journey:   http://abowlfullofjelly.blogspot.com/ w/ March 2011 Sleevers List
"Sleeve Santa Sleeve!"

HW: 309 ~ PreOpW: 306 ~ SW: 293 ~ CW: 184  
Laura S.
on 10/6/11 12:20 pm - CT
Thank you all soooo so much for all your replies. It really means alot to hear stories from people who have been where I am. I am so inspired by you all!!! TY TY TY
Most Active