What is a leak test?

BETHC500
on 10/22/11 4:32 am
I read something about a leak test in one of the other posts. What is it? and why is it so terrible?
sndeebear
on 10/22/11 5:06 am
I cant say for everyone else. mBut I just had my VSg on wed and they did my leak test yesterday.. Its the drink that u have to swallow as thy tak pics.. YUCK.. it alon maks u want to throw up.. sorry but after NO liquids for 3 days and then they hit u with that.. ewww...But no leaks her

chunkymonkey1991
on 10/22/11 5:13 am
 you can't drink anything after midnight the day of your surgery (i might have worded that weird), but then you can't drink anything the whole day of your surgery. the morning after your surgery you take a leak text.  they put you on a rotating table and make you swallow barium (i think it's barium). it tastes AWFUL. and the sensation of moving on a table after drinking is awful. they look at a monitor after you drink it and are able to see if anything is coming out of your stomach. after that you're allowed to drink water. 

sorry to make it sound scary. it doesn't last long but it sucks. 
Please visit my blog at chunkymonkey6491.blogspot.com  

ready2Bhealthy2
on 10/22/11 5:50 am
I had surgery on Monday.  It was Tuesday that I had my leak test.  It is barium that they make you drink.  I had to drink my in 3 gulps.  I wasn't on a rotating table...thank goodness.  I stood for the test.  However, the barium is by far the worst thing I have ever had to swallow.  After the test was done they let me gargle water and take a few sips.  I did the test because it was necessary, but I'm not signing up for a second round.  Good luck.
HW286/SW269/1mo-20lbs/2 mo-9lbs/3 mo-10lbs

1st Goal - Loss of 50lbs
amanda D.
on 10/22/11 7:11 am - Stayton, OR
my leak test wasnt that horrible.  they have you stand on this platform thats like and inch or 2 off the ground and they take a picture.  then they give you this junk to drink (i suggest slamming it like a shot lol) that tastes like really REALLY tart lemonaide. then they watch it go down your esophagus into your new stomach, then you're done.  Was super easy.

mandyc1975
on 10/24/11 8:16 am - Richardson, TX
VSG on 09/20/11 with
I didn't have a leak test. Am I the only one?
Do not ask God to guide your footsteps if you're not willing to move your feet.

9/4 (pro op) 299 lbs - 9/20 (surgery day) 285 lbs - 10/4 268 lbs - 11/7 251 lbs- 12/8 239 lbs - 1/9 222 lbs - 2/7 214 lbs - 3/3 202 lbs - 3/19 194 lbs ... 9/20/2012 - 142 lbs
Carmelita
on 10/24/11 9:50 am - Four Corners, NM
I had 2 leak tests...one in OR and one post op day after surgery  barium Xray.  Make sure you get your hard copy of your surgery  will explain everything that was done while you were under.  Also get a copy of your radiology...they'll put it on disc for ya...yer leak test.  You can use yer computer to view. 

More info on Leaks and Strictures Blog
http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/carmelita/blog/tag/vsg+lea ks+and+strictures/

also some VSG surgery videos and OR leak tests being performed on my
BOUGIES in VSG blog
http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/carmelita/blog/tag/bougie+ in+vsg/

YOUTUBE 's  Dr. Alvarez has VSG leak test (barium swallow post op)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEhZKJvR-ec

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 75 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 275 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 331 views